Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Nettie; by seven

The very clever Heather of Closet Case Files has released another pattern, this one is a must-have basic, the bodysuit, available here.  Named Nettie, after the totally gorgeous Nettie of Sown Brooklyn.
Of course, I say "must-have" and I didn't actually have any.  But I'm rectifying that now since everyone knows that bodysuits are super useful and way superior to a tucked in tee when it comes to winter warmth.  So good to have that thermal layer underneath everything else.  I used to have a few bodysuits years ago which did hard duty all winter long but I don't know if they've gone out of fashion favour? or what; because they are pretty darn hard to come by nowadays.  Even patterns for bodysuits are pretty few and far in-between.
Thank you so much Heather, for asking me to test the pattern, and for filling this gap in the sewing pattern world!  :)
Hmmm, seven Netties... seems excessive for one person? well they're not all for me.  Occasionally I make things for other people.  Occasionally  ;)
The instructions stipulate to size up if you are tall or if you think your fabric is a little firm; and yes indeedy; this.  My first version was in a mystery black knit with just a medium stretch, bought in the Morrison remnant sale, and it turned out a little er, bottie-baring for me!   Fortunately I have a petite daughter who can absorb into her wardrobe everything that is too small for me.  :)  And then I went up a size for me
The red, orange, green, pale taupe and white coloured Netties are all in a super stretchy viscose/rayon knit from Fabulous Fabrics; and for this stretchier fabric I didn't need to lengthen although I did cut the sleeves at the size up.  The fit is snug and fabulously comfy.   
The white long sleeved tee is for my niece; her measurements matched the smallest size on the size chart and so I just ran it up quickly to test the fit.  It was on the tight side for her too; so when starting out I do recommend erring on the side of too big, just to start with.  You can always shave a bit off!
For the crotch closure I used strips of black snap tape; leftover from my Issey Miyake tucked dress.  Obviously it would be every bit as quick to hammer in a coupla snaps though.  Really, the Nettie is a wonderfully quick and easy project, the kind of thing you can run up to wear an hour later.  The hardest part of making the body suits is finding scraps of woven for the crotch bit to match your fabric!  I had nothing matching my green so used self fabric stiffened and stabilised with fusible interfacing.
I did something a bit different with the sleeves on my green one; I made them super long and put in a little thumb hole, finished with a band just like the neckline.  Built-in hand warmers!
The pattern comes with multiple variations; a high, mid and low back neckline, and a high and low scoop front neckline, and with long, elbow-length and short sleeves, and a body-con dress.  And obviously you can slice it off at hip level too and just have a tee.  So much choice!  If I'd had the dress option earlier I totally would have made one of these too...   
I made some with elbow length sleeves and some with long sleeves, and some high neck and some scoop.   I made them all with a high back neckline just because winter is around the next corner here, but I think a high front neck/low scooped-back neck Nettie would be an absolutely stunning summer evening option; worn with a huge oversized flouncy skirt, hair up in a bun.  Imagine!
Also, I reckon if you made it with a closed crotch and a scoop neckline wide enough to allow you to step into it then the Nettie would work beautifully as a dance or workout leotard too.  The sides are quite low-cut  allowing for full bottom coverage and minimal chance of a wedgie wardrobe malfunction.
OK, I'm now baulking at posting a picture of myself in the pale taupe one sans outer layers; with my skin tone the overall effect is just a bit too er, nude?!  but I have worn here it in a daily outfit already  :)
Thank you for a fantastic pattern Heather!

42 comments:

  1. It seems very comfy! I have never wore a bodysuit, in my country it isn´t a common garment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember having masses of bodysuits and I bought a very glam one not so long ago. This one has great appeal and I may indulge myself. Were you camping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sue :) We weren't really camping, we were staying at Mum and Dad's place. They live in the country :)

      Delete
  3. You know bodysuits really are practical...especially if you have a hourglass figure as so often shirts sneak upwards to sit at your true waist :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss the bodysuits of the 80's and 90's! No cold mid bits, no t-shirt hanging out. What a great pattern and you have made great use of it already! I have an old Burda or Neue Mode one - a raglan one with the huge shoulders from the 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome Cazza! I'm considering this pattern now as you've convinced me with your honest review. .. hope all is well x

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaaaaah i want seven beauties! and unlike you i would keep them all for myself ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was too young for bodysuits in the 90's but I think this is such a great original pattern! I like the idea of scoop front, mid scoop back in a frenchie stripe with a full skirt...... Clearly to be worn in Paris, not dreary wintery Melbourne! A girl can dream....yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I freakin' LOVE this pattern and you are selling it well, Carolyn! :-) How will I wait to make this?? Why is my queue of projects so long??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vaguely remember maybe having a bodysuit in elementary school, so basically I haven't considered bodysuits at all. I was surprised to see this pattern come out, and I really can't wait to see all the versions pop up! With seeing yours I'm already starting to imagine how it could potentially be useful...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great! Great idea to make hand warmers on the one! I can see this in a wool knit for winter time layering. I have a strangely large collection of rayon/spandex fabric and your version is quite helpful to get a better understanding if how the pattern works with it. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love this! I haven't had a bodysuit in years. I bookmarked the pattern so I can get it eventually! As always, I love your pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It`s great! Very comfortable, and you can also use it as the top:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh! to snapping your crotch every time you go to the loo. Otherwise, looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heavens, I would love to have seen a LOAD of youngsters wearing these things with their falling-off-their-bum jeans instead of displaying 'whale tales' and unattractive bits of anatomy. I loved my bodysuits in the 70s and 80s. Wearing them now would certainly encourage me to practice my Pilates and pull in that gut! You all look fab - and once you finish getting dressed I know you'll be nice and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I haven't considered wearing a bodysuit in, like, forever! And since I don't have the dancer's body I used to (when I lived in leotards) I don't know that I would feel comfortable wearing one now. But, I do like the neckline and sleeve variations this pattern offers. It's very chic looking! And layers are a very good thing come winter...
    Hmm... maybe it's time to rethink the bodysuit...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great bodysuits and even better bod. You got it all going on. Note to oneself lay off the biscuits girlfriend and you too can look like this, well a 5ft 1" version anyway

    SSB. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great body suits. I was curious about the background too. Do you do water catchment where you live? A lot of people do that here on the Big Island were on "city" water. beautiful photos and it sounds like a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Janie! I took the pictures of myself at my parents' place, they live in the country where everybody has rainwater tanks and dams and catches most of their water :)
      Now I'm curious; what or where is the Big Island?

      Delete
  18. You are so right! I used to wear body suits all through my 20´s and then they disappeared from the shops...and I sure missed them. Thank you for the review, It´s good to know there is a good pattern for those!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like a really cool pattern. I especially like the dress. I can see the body suit working well with skirts and pants - esp. skirts with a lower waistline. Thanks for all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i never thought i needed a bodysuit, but you're definitely sellin' it! i absolutely love your photos of these makes--so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to wear bodysuits all the time, I had several as well. Having just moved here, I'm loving Fabulous Fabrics. So nice to be able to get quality fabrics easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Melinda! Yes, it's my favourite shop too!

      Delete
  22. These bring back memories and it is great to see a pattern for them and your wonderful versions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember when these were all the rage in the '80's! There was a mini revival a couple of summers back in the UK, as my middle daughter bought a couple. They certainly give a lovely neat look worn under a skirt (.I had a look at your OOTD!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh oh, I had about half a dozen when I was at uni in the 80s! I remembering looking so neat worn under a skirt and fitted jumper and yours certainly looks great in the Tumbler pic. This is so tempting to buy. Yours are fab. I love the different neck and sleeve versions which are available.

    Very intrigued by the camper van too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Nikki! it is my parents' camper van. We stayed with them over Easter and I took some of the photos while we were there :)

      Delete
  25. I think it's an awesome pattern and your seven Netties all look great! As do both the girls showing them off!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How odd - I found an original 80's 'body' pattern only yesterday and thought it was due a dusting off. It is different to your lovely Netties but I think it will stand up to a re-use!
    Well done on being so generous with your sewing skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Seeing these all at once...practically have tears in my eyes. I am ESPECIALLY in love with your handwarmer hack - you're a genius!! I hope Nettie helps keep you warm all winter long! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have certainly mastered that pattern and I must say you have carried out some very brave modelling! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, 7 Netties!! The pattern looks like it's a winner and worth adding to your wardrobe. Thanks for modelling so we can see how it looks in totallity and not just the top.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, the amount you made really shows your appreciation for the pattern. I remember bodysuits being a big trend back in the late 1990's but most of those had higher cut legs. These look low enough to be comfortable and avoid indecent exposure when wearing the suit on its own.
    Maybe I should try something like this...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ahhhhhhh - love them all!!!!!!!!!! But I'm obsessed with the green one with the handwarmers (tutorial please?). LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  32. 10 points for bravery in modelling, 10 points for practical garments.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Bodysuits in the early 1970s were as often as not merely a woven blouse grafted onto a stretch knit bottom. This was before the Age of Velcro, so we used the same snap tape as on baby garments (for quick access at diaper time) or laboriously sewed on individual snaps for the crotch area. Since I am both long-waisted and have a deep rise, rtw bodysuits never fit me (no more do most one-piece swimsuits). Pattern companies were quick to provide the means to make your own bodysuits, I still have a pattern or two from that era. Another sort of weird combination garment that needs to make a comeback is the suit skirt attached to a slip top. When you wear an overblouse, the skirt can hang freely from your shoulders, with no constriction around your waist.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, you really went to town! Great way to use up all the fabric and test!

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG YESSS!!!! I've been dreaming of making my Nettie with a thumbhole for all my yoga stands.

    That picture with all of them on the clothes hanger is everything

    ReplyDelete
  36. All your versions look lovely! I really like the one you made with the thumbhole, it looks great for winter... Now I just need to remember that I never wear tops tucked in. Then again, it would be great for wearing under dresses in winter...

    ReplyDelete