My new dress doesn't have a centaur, but it does have the next best thing... a horse! Plus; the requisite bow. And two arrow(head tab)s.
Ha! (mutters sotto voce) nailed it... :D
This is made using pattern number 35, from Patrones 7, a magazine given to me by Merche in a little exchange we did last year; thanks Merche! Cassie got to the magazine first and made this little top, and now I have something from it too :)
Um, so the dress turned out very... retro, I think. This was not the effect I was going for, btw. I was going for modern and summery. I think I got WW2 era and autumnal. Slip on a handknit woolly cardigan, put flesh-coloured nylons on my pegs, sensible brogues or wellies on my feet and victory curls in my hair; and this is exactly the kind of ensemble my grandmother would have worn as a young Englishwoman in the 40's. I didn't think the pattern "looked" retro when I picked it for my dress, in fact I thought it rather modern and timeless. Funny thing. Seriously I have no idea what happened, twixt design and execution, but something sartorially timewarp-y happened.
The fabric is a mustard silk crepe, originally from Tessuti's in Melbourne? I think? I spray-printed a negative-space horse on the front skirt, and random spots all over the remainder of the dress pieces. The dress is fully lined with silvery grey silk habotai from Fabulous Fabrics. The greyness of the lining filled me with anxiety at first. I could have got a perfect colour match if I'd chosen polyacetate lining but I had my heart set on silk habotai and grey was the least offensive choice. I just went for it... and y'know? I've worn it a couple of times, and am so glad I did go with allover silk, because it is seriously sooo beautiful to wear! We had 34C yesterday, and no kidding I felt like I was wearing nothing, the silk habotai is sheer heaven; divinely light-as-air and fluttery and slinkily gorgeous against the skin.
Also; the colour. (Sings) love it! This project was an obvious contender for my swap, but I'm not going to count it since something else is going to be my one allowed thing before Christmas. But of course the excellent thing is that both the colour and the style of the dress will fit in beautifully with my autumn wardrobe too. And I can just enjoy wearing it on its own for now. Yay!
Bias cut silk; for both dress and lining. So yeah, ok; bias cut dresses look great and hang gorgeously, but they hog the fabric like nobody's business and make for a dang masochistic sewing project! Now I remember why I only make these very occasionally ;)
I sewed all seams as French seams, using strips of tissue paper to prevent those bias side edges from stretching out. The closure is by invisible zip in the left side seam, and I stabilised the bias edge first by stitching a strip of the silk habotai selvedge to the seam allowance, like so. Before hemming I left it hanging up for five days, and it was interesting that the bias didn't drop out very much. But it did just a bit; just enough to reiterate the old rule of thumb; yes, always hang a bias cut garment for several days before hemming!
I hand-sewed the sleeves and lower hem in a narrow rolled hem, but I got lazy with the lining and just whizzed it up on the machine. Not a total masochist, then!