Thursday, November 28, 2013

Red

So; red dress.
I pinned this dress a while ago because I really loved the little shawl collar and the shape of the bodice and wanted to reproduce it for myself.  I used a particularly nice, crisp and slightly slubby cotton from Fabulous Fabrics and the pattern is based on dress M from the Stylish Dress Book, modified as outlined below. I am pretty pleased with how my self-drafted collar turned out  :)
It’s always nice to have a couple of fresh, new, cool and breezy little dresses ready for summer and so this one needs no other reason for being, really… but I confess a major reason for making it was also to have something to wear to the Wildcats games.  We got season tickets this year and had barely even entered the car park to attend the first game when I couldn’t help but notice that 99.99999% of the spectators were wearing brilliant cherry red. AAAgh!  Wardrobe alert!  When we were first married a gazillion years ago we used to go to all the Wildcats games but back then no one dressed in the team colours.  You just went along wearing whatever and cheered on your team.  Nowadays the crowd is a sea of red, red and more red.  If you’re not in red you stick out like a sore thumb.  Appropriately hued spectator attire was required, toute de suite. 
Actually I do already have one bright red dress but basketball fans generally do not turn up wearing slinky cocktail dresses, ahem.  That would have looked even more weird.  This dress fits in nicely while still being a bit “different” from the mob. 
My wardrobe ethos in a nutshell, really!
Additionally the dress has Christmas possibilities.  Festive, yet please note the capacity for accommodating a large lunch and the ease with which it can be lightly tossed on over bathers.  If Christmas Day is 40C like it has been for the past few years then yes.

Details:
Dress; modified dress M from the Stylish Dress Book by Yoshiko Tsukiori, red cotton
Sandals; c/o Misano
Some technical notes:  I modified the pattern by adding a gradual Mt Fuji shaped curve to the top of the front skirt and cutting away a slightly less sharp curve away from the lower edge of the front bodice.  To make the shawl collar I spliced together the back and front bodice pieces at the shoulder and traced around the neckline, adding a tiny wedge at the centre back for turn of cloth.  The dress has no closure because it is loose enough to just slip over my head.
I added slanted patch pockets for a change, just because inseam side pockets are taking over my wardrobe and I felt the need for some variety.  I like the invisibility of inseam pockets, but it is nice to have pockets as a visual feature on an otherwise plain dress too.  These are sewn on at a slant for easy hand access and have a purely decorative folded flap at the top.
I also removed width from the sleeves, so they fit into the armscye with very little gathering.

45 comments:

  1. Gorgeous color and dress! Love the collar and style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a breezy dress, pretty colour too. Loved how you modified Dress M to achieve this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very appropriate dress for those scorchers on the way!! No Sienna today? - her little mug popping up here and there in your photos are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very light and breezy looking. Perfect for a big Christmas lunch. Well done on your changes to the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress looks so very "you" - the essence of your style. I love the changes you made to the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely cool looking dress.. cool and cool if you know what I mean! What a beautiful contrast against the beautiful rocks. Good job on the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute little dress.. that color is gorgeous, and i really like the photos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another dress I would like to steal from your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. perfect to wear on the beach…. ohh what a lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous color. It looks so comfortable and very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used to go to the Wildcats in the nineties and no-one wore red, so I understand your dismay here, and yes, this will be a fabulous Christmas dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely Carolyn! Your skills amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very very cute dress, Carolyn. I am not used to seeing you in such a strong color, but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous dress. How about a cotton plaid one next up?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bellisimo! Love everything about it starting for the color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great summer dress! I love those slanted patch pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dress is so dang cute! You SHOULD be proud of your collar draft. You look so great in it. Have fun at the game!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is adorable. I like the shape but best of all those reddish colours really make your hair shine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think this style would work on me, but it looks amazing on you and also looks beautifully made. Your pictures are gorgeous, you and they look right out of a fashion magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Long-time admirer here, but first time commenter :) Your dress is stunning but right now I am even more jealous of your photo location! Greetings from chilly Boston...

    ReplyDelete
  21. very pretty, you know I am a fan of the easy-breezy summer dress! and so jealous of your summertime Christmas. I spent many holidays in Hawaii and I think a sunny tropical yuletide is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. At least your team wear a nice colour! I had to follow your link to see what the Wildcats play, not being a basketball follower and all. What do you know, they are promoting a game against the Breakers! Now there is a name I have heard before!

    I like your new dress and the colour is a fantastic choice for it, basketball aside. I really like casual warm Christmas days and a loose fitting dress is perfect in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this dress! It looks so great for hot days, and I love what you did with the shape. I'm not even a red person, and yet I love this color! Your photos also make me want to travel to Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perfect dress for summer, and versatile too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great dress, the changes you made are just perfect! Living in a basketball crazy family (son is heading to USA this coming Sunday for basketball) I get the whole wearing the right colour thing ... J

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh My Gosh, your pictures are just stupendous!!! The rocks and sky and your beautiful red A line dress all rock the pics. I think you will get a lot of wear from this dress, looks to be very practical and pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Perfect dress for all sorts of reasons and love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  28. very nice, yor right its a lovely little collar

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is my kind of dress. It looks so easy to wear. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful dress, Carolyn. And you're making me so jealous. We had -3ºC this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  31. And she SCORES AGAIN!! (Sorry, couldn't resist). Love the shawl collar, the tailored sleeves, the slanted pockets AND the curved seam under the bust line. I've never had season tickets to anything other than my high school football games (because I was in the Pep Club). I did see a Utah Jazz game once; it was almost balletic, they were SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  32. We have a "Wildcats" team here in Tucson (University of Arizona) and the colors are red and blue but most everyone wears red (with touches of blue). Nice dress.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a gorgeous dress! Love the colour and the style... actually I love everything about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is lovely in every way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Super duper cute dress! Love it! I really need to get my hands on one of these Japanese dress books!

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is a fun dress for a hot day. The background for the photograph is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It looks lovely, perfect for summer!
    On a side not, we haven't even had snow yet and already I'm having weather envy...

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love following your blog. So frequently, I find that we have used the same pattern or Pattern Magic books!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the dress, but especially the collar, which is kind of like a tiny sailor collar.

    ReplyDelete
  40. this is beautiful! I love the pattern and the fabric! i had made a dress(http://petiterepublic.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/deluxe-silk-dress/) with similar style in mind but didnt turn out half as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the colour and the collar is gorgeous! What a cute pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great site! I've just started sewing my own cloth, so thanks for the tips!!! Greetings from Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  43. You look both hot and cool in your new dress. Love it.

    ReplyDelete