So, we had some purr-fectly dee-lightful weather last Monday, allowing me to wear, and take some piccies of, my dress. The product of my giant beachy polka dots fabric, screen-printed by moi. Um, I'm completely satisfied with how it turned out. And I can think of nothing further to add. Not like me, I know ;)
OK, just a few things.
I used the pattern for dress F from the Stylish Dress Book by Yushiko Tsukiori, chosen because I wanted an almost featureless tunic dress, with no darts and minimal shaping to interfere with my print, but still had a certain je ne sais quoi. This design, with a short neckline split and two piece open sleeves with a discreet but pretty little ribbon to tie them closed, was exactly what I wanted. I cut out all the pieces before printing and sized my print to fit the pieces.
A stylistically simple design, like my stylistically simple print. I added the obligatory-to-me pockets, ahem; deep inseam ones. These are cut from the same sand-coloured cotton/linen fabric as the dress, but unprinted obviously. The same goes for the bias-cut sleeve ties, and bias neckline finish and the neck facing. There are advantages to printing your own; you can leave it off all the "invisible" bits of your dress, and that is a vast improvement... nothing to show through!
It's been a thoroughly satisfying project in that the result truly matches my vision. I'm going to really enjoy wearing it.
The creativity demon inside has been sated... for now :)