Thursday, February 7, 2013

Burda 7767; a Rogue's Gallery

A quick head-count and I realised I've made enough more of these shirts to put together another Rogue's Gallery of Burda 7767's...
This is hands down my most used pattern evah... I have used it 27 times!!  My first Burda 7767 Rogue's Gallery contained 14 shirts and now this new gallery features another 13 shirts.  Will there be more...? of course!
It is so easy to add little bits and bobs to this most classic of patterns to create a variety of shirts each with their own distinct character...  each shirt is linked to the original construction post, and my variations to the basic pattern are listed after the link.  My original review of this pattern is here.

version fifteen: a linen army style shirt for me.  Added epaulettes, two bellows breast pockets with flaps, sleeve tabs, folded-out button band, curved hemline.
version sixteen: linen shirt for Craig.  Curved edge breast pockets with curved edge flaps, double buttons on cuffs and pocket flaps, curved hemline
version seventeen: cotton shirt for Dad.  Short sleeves, curved edge pockets with curved edge pocket flaps, curved hemline.
version eighteen: cotton shirt for Craig.  Short sleeves, cuffed sleeves with shaped tabs, shield-shaped pockets with oversized rectangular flaps, curved hemline.
version nineteen: crinkly shirt for Sam.  Epaulettes, bias-cut pockets, bias pocket flaps, curved hemline.
version twenty: slightly stretchy, crinkly shirt for Tim.  Short sleeves, breast pockets and flaps, curved hemline, closely fitted to the body.
version twenty-one: cotton shirt for Craig.  Shorts sleeves, curved hemline, epaulettes, slanted breast pockets with slanted pocket flaps, tabs on sleeves
version twenty-two: cotton shirt for me, now belonging to Cassie and worn as a dress.  Super long length, a curved hemline, and with double, layered sleeves;  a long sleeve linen sleeve underneath a short cotton sleeve.  Square pockets with arrowhead pocket flaps and a button-down collar.
version twenty-three: a linen shirt for Dad.  Bellows breast pockets with arrowhead pocket flaps.  Curved hemline.
version twenty-four: a business shirt for Craig.  Contrasting white collar, collar stand, cuffs, sleeve placket, pocket panel and button bands.  Curved hemline.
version twenty-five: a linen shirt for Tim.  Short sleeves, curved hemline, button down collar, bellows breast pockets with curved pocket flaps, cuffed sleeves with featured buttons
version twenty-six: a crinkly shirt for Sam.  Sleeve tabs, curved hemline
version twenty-seven: a cotton shirt for Craig.  Short sleeves, club collar and split side seams.  Square breast pockets
Trivial fact; that post with the Burda 7767 review and also featuring me wearing an outfit I now consider to be rather hideous; holds the bronze medal in page views on my blog.  This is completely amazing to me.  I have no idea why people would find and randomly hit upon that post!

37 comments:

  1. Great shirts - obviously a well loved pattern. You certainly got your money's worth with this pattern. My fave has to be version 24.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in awe over here! i feel like it takes me forever to complete a dress shirt, every step requires so much attention! v24 is my favorite as well. great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - these all look fantastic! How long does it take to sew a shirt like this? I think I am so slow and nervous about buttons! You make it look so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Version 24 is the one that made me go out and buy the pattern, especially after my husband looked over my shoulder while I was reading that post and he was all kinds of impressed by your sewing skills...someday I'll get him to be that impressed with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fav is version 23, making shirts requires excellent tailoring skills and it shows in all of these shirts you've created. Nice investment in the pattern. I had drafted a shirt pattern for my hubby and use it twice a year to make gifts for him on valentine!s and his bday... Shirt sewing seems simple but it is lot easier stitching darts and curves than making collars and button plackets isn't it?,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that pattern has legs! You've used it for so many members of your family, it belongs in the TNT hall of fame!
    All of these versions are great looking shirts. I'm partial to 24 because of its uniqueness, but they're all just so well made. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing shirts and I love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's what I call money well spent. 27 versions is fantastic. I love the business variation. You've made it so many times and it seems to be so versatile I went and bought it last year but still haven't made it yet. Must get onto that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh you've gotten value out of that pattern! I'm hoping to make my first real shirt this year. What interfacing do you use? Anything fancy or something from a chain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just regular iron-on interfacing from Spotlight :)

      Delete
    2. Do you use different weights for the collar, placket, etc?

      Delete
    3. No, and actually there's not very many weights to choose from here. Like, two. :)

      Delete
    4. Wow - good to know. Some blogs make me think that I need some sort of fancy pants stuff to get a nice finish. I use Spotty and have been happy, but you are a bit of a shirt expert! thanks for the response.

      Delete
  10. You have to make one more for quarter of a century. Like the checked shirts,no. 20, well done quite an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't say something new about clothes You've made - I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 27????
    I am impressed! %)
    Because you have so many men around you:)) Pretty unselfish sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just shows what a great pattern it is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the linen versions and pocket variations - am filing away for inspiration for sewing for the men in my life. I suspect the page views come from there being few decent basic shirt patterns out there for men.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having seen both this Rogues Gallery and the previous one, I am off to buy this very pattern tomorrow! I decided at the beginning of the year that this would be the first shirt I made for my husband. I just hope I can do it as much justice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Apologies Carolyn, I really shouldnt try to read my blogs first thing in the morning without my specs!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I've made many mens' shirts from my TNT mens pattern, but not nearly this many. I bet you've made many copies of the pattern itself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think they are all fabulous, especially the linen ones. And I really like the feature buttons on number twenty-five.

    It's so satisfying when you find a pattern that can be put to such good use. Of course, it helps that you have such style and vision, and everything you make is unspeakably stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great collection of shirts - all looking very different. I always think that it's interesting how different clothes from the same pattern can be.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh I thought I had done well making 10 for Mike and 1 for his father, let alone 27!!! Think I have some catching up to do. Love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That pattern was a bargain then! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Carolyn
    I have to tell you that you are my favorite. I´ve followed lots of blogs, mainly fashion bloggers, and stop seeing your work for a while.
    Then I decided to look for you again and see what you have done.
    You are the best, I really love your handmade style cause you´re not just purchasing Zara or Mango stuff, you´re creating your own fashion cloth that is suitable only for you, unique and special. Nobody else is wearing the same as you.
    I am following your steps, sewing my own cloth. Three years ago my mom gave me her singer sewing machine and since then I´ve been trying but I haven´t found the time to make new things.
    I am full time ph. d. student so I have a big responsability to do. Anyway, I also have the luxury to plan my time and to follow a schudule. Now I´ve promise myself that I´ll find time to do sewing.
    I just start reading your first post just to find inspiration and not to worry about the perfect result but to enjoy the process of sewing.
    The best for you always.
    A reader from Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comment! :)

      Delete
  23. Wow x 27! You are quite amazing. These shirts are fantastic and all have their own individual characteristics!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous shirts - and amazingly all so different. Your boys look so handsome and happy in theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought I read wrong but it is actually 27 of them! With their interfacings their buttons, buttonholes, two piece collars, cuffs, pockets....that's a LOT of work you put into them! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow!! Even though all the men's versions are impressive (lucky guys!), my fave is #15. I would live in that shirt. I'm curious how you select a size for yourself since this is a men's pattern?

    A lifelong sewer, now with the time to create more of my own wardrobe, your blog is an inspiration since your climate(just flipped!) and casual style are so similar to mine, not to mention your awesome skills and taste that have challenged me to raise the bar on my own projects.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen!
      With the sizing; for a woman; the bust (chest) measurement is the key measurement in a man's shirt, and I used this to determine my size. You will still end up with quite a loose-fitting shirt, like a real man's shirt, and this is what I wanted :)
      When measuring up for my men though: I cut the pieces based on a few other measurements too... the chest measurement; shoulder to shoulder (the yoke piece), around the neck, the sleeve length, and bicep circumference.

      Delete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Shirtaholics Anonymous. Hello my name is Carolyn and I can't stop making Burda 7767 lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is wonderful to see how many different shirts arrive from the same pattern! I especially love your new linen version and the dress shirt for your DH! Now THAT is a super smart shirt.

    ReplyDelete