Monday, December 24, 2012

the Wolery

After my brothers and I had all moved out of home and started our own families; I started a rather non-rigid, and not annual, tradition of making a Christmas ornament for each of us... just something silly and small, not anything of great worth or anything but something that could be a commonality to us in our separate homes.  This year I was happy to find the time for it again  :)
so please say tu-whit, tu-whoo!  (trans.  Hello) to...
the Black parliament above
the Green parliament 
the White parliament
and the Brown parliament.

I used this pattern developed by Moonstitches, and I used old corduroy jeans, some scraps of cotton and embroidery thread; and the little buttons I had to buy new, from Spotlight.  Each owl has a circular cardboard base, covered with cotton and stitched in place.  I slipped a glass bead inside just before stitching the base on, to make the owls bottom-heavy and to help them stay upright and not blow over.
I just love how the tiniest variations in height and width, and the placement of the beak and the eyes, results in very distinct and individual personalities in each owl!

Merry Christmas all!

24 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea! And they are so cute. I'm sure your family will enjoy them.

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love the idea of having something simple and home-made to tie you all together. Owls are a very hip motif these days too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really enjoyed reading your blog this year. Great ornament idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are adorable! Merry Christmas Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really cute. My sister-in-law in Sydney, Jane, made something like this for a door stop for her front door. I love the different sizes and the N-O-E-L. And just as I had to look up the meaning of the slang 'peeps' the other day, I have looked up and learned that 'parliament' is a group of owls, not a political gathering... Merry Christmas, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I so agree they each have their own personality,

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute is that? SO cute!
    Merry Christmas to you, your family, and your amazingly wonderful wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute Carolyn! At first I assumed each own was for a sibling and was impressed to learn that each sibling got an entire set! Do the letters represent their family members? Merry Christmas, Carolyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cute. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so cute - I sort of started a new tradition for my family by embroidering a Christmas stocking for each member - 11 done - need to get another 2 to add in for next year.

    Have a fantastic (warm) Christmas. Look forward to seeing what you are up to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! And such a cute idea to have them spelling out 'Noel'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely idea! Happy Christmas to you all and thanks for the many enjoyable blog posts through the year. Its been fun following your creative journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely. ANd a lovely idea to all have the same. I might have to try and remember to do the same for my family and in-laws back in the UK next year.

    Merry Christmas! Hope you survive the heat today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them Carolyn. Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're adorable! A very merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these! What a wonderful idea! I have been thinking about doing ornaments for the family and you have made my decision for me! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas Carolyn and family. Thank you for sharing your novel ideas with us. May 2013 inspire us to follow your lead in our creative world!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a cute and memorable idea.
    Merry Christmas Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! I might need to steal that idea next year. Merry Christmas Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh these are great and I love the tradition behind them. I give each of my grandnieces and nephews an ornament each year, some made some bought with the agreement of the parents that when the child becomes an adult and leaves home the ornaments go with them. Keeps me feeling just a little closer

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable - I might have to shamelessly copy this idea! Merry Christmas, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic idea and they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete