Tuesday, December 18, 2012

LBS

The amount of Christmas "creating" going on around here has been insane lately!  I have been sewing like an absolute madwoman... ! 
but this Little Black Skirt is not a part of that.  This is a sorta urgent extra!       aiyiyi...
My daughter has completed her undergraduate degree and successfully secured her first "real" job. She will be returning to uni next year to do her Masters, but will probably continue to work concurrently in the firm she has just joined... 
So, just prior to her interview we attended to a detail of paramount importance: her wardrobe.
For the past few years she's been a university student, with an appropriately fun and funky colourful casual wardrobe and lots of crazy shoes... hmmm.    We assessed everything and came up with one or two smart and stylish little separates that she can wear in the office, but identified a few holes that I will have the pleasure of addressing over the next few weeks... the biggest of which is the ubiquitous LBS.
So I made one for her.  It may not look very earth shattering, but I wanted this skirt to be a long-term goodie, a wardrobe builder; a simple, streamlined and smart basic, high quality enough to last for years and years; and also sturdy and practical enough to cope with being tossed in the washing machine.
I used Vogue 8363, and a very nice quality washable wool-mix suiting fabric from Fabulous Fabrics.  The skirt is fully lined with black polyacetate lining fabric, also from Fabulous Fabrics, and I juggled the various views of the pattern to give the skirt a one piece darted front, to have those satisfyingly deep, slanted hip pockets, and to have a central back invisible zip opening.  I shortened the skirt to hit at a very workable just-above-knee-length.  This is both mine and Cassie's favourite skirt length; suitable for both summer and winter wear.
An easier-to-see view of the pockets can be seen on another version of this pattern I made previously; here.
The hem is finished with a black bias-cut cotton strip.
I adjusted the lining pieces to incorporate an extra few inches of width at the widest part of the hips: since in my experience this is the first part of a pencil skirt to show strain, particularly in a skirt that one is seated in for long periods of time.  The darts in the lining are not stitched, but simply folded in position and stitched along the top, for that little bit of extra wearing ease.
Below; the inside view of the lining, skirt back.
The skirt has one shaping dart at the front, two at the back; all the better for that slight sway back adjustment
I worked a bound buttonhole (seen above) for the single waist button.
She owned literally one pair of suitable shoes for the office, so we also bought a new pair of Misano ballet flats in beige and caramel, with black feature strips.  These are exactly the same as my own ballet flats, just in a different colourway.  These neutral shades are going to be the backbone of her new working wardrobe.  
Cassie made her charcoal jersey jacket herself, and blogged about it on her own blog here.
I'm actually rather excited about helping to add to Cassie's working girl apparel!  what to make next, what to make next?  but any new pieces may have to wait until the seasonal mayhem has subsided.....  ;)

Details:
Skirt; Vogue 8363 modified, black wool-mix suiting; my review of this pattern here
Camisole; supre
Jacket; made by Cassie, and blogged here
Shoes; Misano, from Hobbs

27 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Cassie on her studies.

    If she's working in an office, the pockets will be practical for things like security swipe cards, pens and business cards.

    You've done some great finishing on her skirt. It's a lovely break from Christmas sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great working suit. Essential black skirt and I love the contemporary jacket.

    Congrats to Cassie - she must be excited to start on a new life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, congrats to your daughter for your new job. It looks like a gorgeous skirt and she will really enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to both you AND Cassie! How wonderful - you must be so proud. That is a beautiful skirt. You have inspired me to consider sewing some skirts for my own daughters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats to Cassie for finishing her degree and getting her first job! Exciting times for sure. I love both pieces, she will get lots of wear out of the skirt I'm sure. What a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought when I saw the photos was that it was the perfect work skirt - and then I read your post! I think it's spot on. Congrats to Cassie on finishing her degree and getting the job, you must be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassie looks so perfectly 'work' in that outfit. No offence to my own mother, but I wish I'd had you to steer me when I first started work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to make such a well-made lasting skirt as a starting basic to your daughter's wardrobe. Congratulations to Cassie on finishing her degree and scoring a job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My congratulations to your daughter too - well done for not only finishing one stage of studies but to secure a job as well (in this climate not easy). The skirt looks fabulous and I am sure it will be a wardrobe staple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is great wardrobe starter! Love the polishing touches that make it special :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading how excited you are about HER clothes. My mom sewed a lot for me and seemed to really enjoy it, though I always felt a bit selfish in receiving all the fruits of her labours. This reminds me that she took her own pleasure in the process. Between your sewing skills and Cassie's own, I've no doubt she'll be the best dressed in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You nailed the brief mom! It's perfect. Just the right style and length with a perfect fit. I hope she has a great time in her new masters program!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your daughter and to you too! That is the perfect skirt for the office

    ReplyDelete
  14. She looks like a young, confident woman, ready to take on the world!

    The skirt is perfect. I love how the insides of your projects are just as pretty as the outside. You really raise the bar for showing how a 'home sewn' garment can look as good (better, in fact) than a store bought garment:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful skirt! Those pockets are just perfect. Congratulations to Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this skirt is just perfect! there is nothing boring to me about a piece that will be worn to death. i love the pockets too, makes it so very practical. the jacket is super cute also; basically i love the whole outfit! between your skills and hers she will be the best dressed in the office! congrats on the graduating/landing a job accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I should really comment on the skirt (which is a perfect work skirt) but what really struck me about this post was how Cassie's poses are exactly the same as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely ensemble and model. That's amazing that the jacket is a refashion. Fun times, first job ... congratulations to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes it's moments like these that we treasure as sewing mothers, when our daughters look to us for help in the clothing line. I can remember a time when my daughter was hell-bent on only wearing store-bought garments. Now at 24, she is asking me more and more to make her items of clothing, because she realises that the fabric and style she has chosen give her a uniqueness, never mind the cost-saving aspect and getting a good fit.
    "Bonne route" Carolyn and Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Cassie! A quality black skirt is definitely a wardrobe staple. Well done Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love her new look - she's lucky to have you to help her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations to Cassie! What an elegant outfit, and how fun to style a new season of life together!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats to Cassie on getting the job. Lovely skirt and a very elegant look.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great photos of Cassie...and she sews too! Great. She will look great in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A beautiful skirt! Congrats to Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oooh what a fabulous skirt!! and congrats to cassie!

    ReplyDelete