Monday, December 3, 2012

A travel wardrobe

I'm a bit late with this post, but a week ago my mother, Cassie and I returned from a uber-fun and girly, long weekend away  :D
Time away
5 days
Where to:
Melbourne
Season:
the last days of spring.  Cool nights, daytime highs from 19C right up to 29C
Expected activities: 
walking n' talking, tonnes of window shopping and a smattering of real shopping, tea-ing, consuming pre-dinner sparkling, and tapas-ing.  One visit to the theatre; A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
Colour scheme: calm and peaceful coffee and cream, with rich 'n spicy sunset hues.   Accents of black, and just one cool splash of the palest blue
What I packed: (click on each garment name to link to its original construction post)
(left to right; top to bottom)
pale gold handbag
black thongs/sandals, Misano
black flats, Enrico Antinori
high-heeled, black suede wedges, Misano
Not pictured, but I also took assorted underwear, pyjamas and my red Havaianas to wear when going to the sauna and spa.
Verdict:
Well I packed in a hurry and forgot my wide black emu-leather belt (pictured belting the pale blue tunic top here), which was to be an essential visual component of the two outfits with the black shirt and the pale blue top, doh!!...  That was pretty darn annoying... so I felt I looked less pulled together on each of those days than I wanted.  Mum and Cassie assured me the outfits looked OK sans belt, but y'know when you have this image in your mind of exactly how you want to look and then it it is not to be, because of the absence of one flipping thing??  Apart from that...!  Overall I was pretty pleased with the selection, it was both comfortable and workable; and I loved loved loved my colour scheme.  It's very pleasing when your makes mix and match and turn out to complement each other in just the way you hoped.
I was particularly thrilled to be recognised by another lady while shopping in Tessuti's; thank you Yvonne for those lovely compliments about my "precision" in sewing; your kind words totally made my day  :)
The outfits I chose for each of the five days are pictured below, and my pale gold bag co-ordinated with all my outfits for both the daytime and the evening.


Below at left, I wore my Guy Laroche dress every evening out to dinner; and at right, every night we baked in the sauna and tumbled into the pool... bliss!

23 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip. I like the way you have put together the outfits you wore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful combinations! and you KNOW how much I love travel wardrobe posts...:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great combos Caroyln. Did Cassie have a travel wardrobe plan too?
    Nice to see the havianas:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love travel wardrobe posts and this is very enlightening! I would have trouble wearing the same light colored outfit to dinner. I'm sure I would end up getting it dirty! But your wardrobe is most impressive with how varied it is, given the small number of garments. And I love the rich color combos. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post and your practical travel wardrobe. Not only did you pack a perfectly simple wardrobe that was very intentional...but you have the bragging rights of being the creator of those fantastic items. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another lover of travel wardrobe posts and such a wonderful combination of garments with so little packed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely trip. Thanks for the wardrobe pictures. I like how a light gold purse works with so many Summer outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, a girlie weekend away - lovely! I do need some packing tips from you, I always end up with too much. I think my key pieces must be wrong. Hope you enjoyed the theatre, I've not seen Forum since we did it at school. I reckon it's a great musical and really underated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so envious - a three-generation girl's weekend away! I've never heard of such a thing, but I bet it was wonderful. I love Melbourne, so I know there was loads to see and do. We've had our first sprinkling of snow here, so I'm wishing for your weather as well. As for the clothes, you do put colours together in a way that I never, ever would, but they always look great on you. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The travel wardrobe a great success. And plenty of room left for new fabrics in the suitcase (pretty important!!) Greaat weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's like reading one of those magazine articles "How to pack for 7 days" etc. Except this is real! And it all looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you've brought colour into your travel wardrobe. I tend to pack all black 'you cant go wrong', especially for Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your travel wardrobes are always so beautifully coordinated, I hope one day I'll have a me- made wardrobe as wonderful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't seen the bronze dress before. Geeze Louise that's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely combinations - it is fun to see what colors and garments others put together - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh I love the color of that burnt orange skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this, esp. the outfits actually created. I have such trouble packing for traveling and then managing to look nice. ...!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Guy Laroche dress. Stunning! You must have been turning heads at dinner time.
    How lovely going on holiday with your mum and daughter. I´m planning something like that for next summer, only my daughter is too little to enjoy the shopping part!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that I am always so envious of your wardrobe and it's all made-by-Carolyn x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely combinations. I enjoy your travel wardrobe posts. If only I were that organised.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love seeing your travel wardrobes. I think it's something most of us struggle with...how to pack for a holiday and not overpack, and make it all work together. Well done. By the way, have you read the Vivienne Files Blog? You really should google it and take a look (speaking of travel wardrobes) She does "six packs" that are perfect inspiration for a weekend (or more) get away.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love it when you put together these wardrobes. So inspiring. Who needs pinterest? hehe

    ReplyDelete