Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Red velveteen skirt; 6 different ways


A big fashion trend around about these parts currently is the red jeans trend.  It is HUGE-o-rama!  I do like it too..  however since my husband bought a pair of bright red jeans for himself while in Milan and my daughter has since bought a pair for herself too; so now I cannot possibly follow along literally myself without us running the risk of bobbing about the house looking like a little flock of Santa's helpers... but luckily I already have my ombre-dyed red velveteen skirt in the wardrobe; mwahaha.   Trend box ticked!  Well sorta.  It is to my satisfaction, anyway.
In Milan I noticed the most successful red jeans combos were with a very neutral, or at least a very conservative top; the better to tone down the woa!-ness of those eye-catching legs and avoid clown territory, and I think mixing and matching an in-your-face colour or print skirt follows the same principles.  I tend to pair the red skirt with very bland or classic garments, or just very occasionally with a colourful top if I'm in that sort of mood.

Below: at left; a classic boat-neck navy and white striped Tshirt is without a doubt the most popular pairing with red jeans I have seen here in Perth.  That combo is sooooo hot right now.  Rather French I think with little white sand shoes, and fortunately I happen to have red leggings too… At right; a men’s styled denim shirt is another perennial classic, which works well with the red skirt peeping out under, and smartened up with chunky high-heeled caramel wedges.
Below: at left; a flash of crimson from under a long-line cardigan adds a spot of cheer to an all-charcoal winter-y outfit, and at right; on a day when one is feeling particularly bubbly, a bright tunic top and ballet flats matches the strength of primary colour in the skirt
Below: at left; the freshness of white, the rumpled crispness of linen and unusual styling of this shirt is a total counterpoint to the rich colour, plush velveteen texture and very simple silhouette of the skirt.  I really love all the contrasts in this outfit here… and at right; I hope you're not bored with this orange top, since I do tend to wear it a lot!!  I guess maybe it deserves its own 6-way post one of these days... except it's been seen a tonne of times already, maybe I've run out of fresh combos!  Obviously it is another very versatile player in my wardrobe!


Traditionally I've considered red to be a primadonna colour that is quite difficult to mix and match, but I have enjoyed playing with this little red skirt.  Which way would you be wearing it?

26 comments:

  1. All these versions look so ubber cool on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippi! Love these posts!
    My favourite, in this order are
    1-With the white blouse
    2-With orange top
    3- With the blue tunic and green flats.
    The rest of the looks are very pretty too. The first one with leggings is very interesting, The one with the denim shirt is a classic and very elegant. And today, here, I´d be wearing the winter version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourites are the sweater and boot combo and the white top. You have a lot of shoes, I've just noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be wearing it with a white blouse or the french stripe top.
    Now you've shown me that I should shorten my blouses for an edgier look. The one I made is ok but I'll have another go at it.
    Your styling is always something I learn from. Thanks again Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not surprisingly I love it with the stipey top, but agree the crisp white blouse looks great as does the colour match with the blue tunic. The other options look great but less summery somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the zing of the red against the orange!
    My mom's best friend always thought of red as a neutral colour. In her wardrobe, it went with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love each version you have put together with your red skirt - still smiling about your Santa's helpers comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mixes with the red velvet skirt! I liked them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Merche! She picked out the same ones I did. I also love the red velveteen skirt with the denim shirt. Nice job styling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the white blouse, then the stripe top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your combinations. I would wear that skirt with a black turtleneck, black tights, black flats (or boots), and an interesting cardigan or vest. Missoni stripe for dressing up, furry vest for casual, or tacky Christmas vest for parties.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As is typical, I like the most colorful combinations the best!(With the blue and orange tops.) But I do like that striped black and white top with it too. It does look very French.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great skirt and you are so creative with your styling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this red skirt of yours. All the skirts you've made up from Vogue 1247 are wonderful, and this one is in a great colour - RED! I love red, but I also understand the "prima donna" thoughts about it. I remember reading in a fashion magazine years ago that if one wanted to be noticed, one should wear red. Needless to say, I didn't wear red very much after reading that! However, to answer your question, I'd be wearing your lovely skirt the last way you've styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Red has to be one of my favourite colours and I too had a pair of red jeans over the winter. This spring though in Christchurch, every shade of citrus is popular in jeans as well as pastels as well. Maybe because we have had soo much bad news for so long with our recovery that people are embracing the colour trend to the max... Sooo many colours it is impossible to choose. I saw a 60 something lady in a zesty orange pair of jeans yesterday and she looked fantastic! So the trend isn't necessarily just for the young either.

    I think I prefer the last 3 outfits because of the time of the year but your winter ones work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it with your grey cardigan and boots and with your orange top. I do love this skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like with stripes and with orange blouse! Hmm, I need red skirt%)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your skirt. The red is such a rich colour made even nicer by the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, you've just given me a wonderful bit of inspiration! Only last night I rediscovered 2metres of red sateen in my stash that I had totally forgotten about. I was thinking of making it into a dress, but now I can see that I need red jeans. I also just yesterday bought at the op shop for $4 a lovely 3/4 sleeve silk jersey boatneck top with red and white stripes that would go with it. Now I know what I'm doing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always enjoy your six different ways outfit posts! I like all of your combos but am especially inspired by the winter outfit and the orange top outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love red. It's such a versatile colour. A lot of people think its difficult but it actually goes well with most colours and is particularly good at enlivening neutrals. I think you are right to try to keep it simple. All the outfits look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I simply adore this skirt. I think my favorite combo is w/ the orange shirt, such rich colors!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love these! I'd wear #3, #5, and #6 .... fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the denim shirt, simple, classic, chic

    ReplyDelete
  25. Favorite is with the white shirt, especially like the sandals. It's a lovely pattern so inspired to get this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your posts about mixing and matching, and how many ways to make a favorite skirt! I love the slouchy boots and the red ankle sandals outfits especially. Red is one of my favorite colors to wear. In the summer I often pair with something coral and in the same warmth group.

    ReplyDelete