Sunday, November 11, 2012

Kitchen witch

Some kitchen couture!!
With all the gorgeous aprons popping up in the sewing blogging world at the mo' I thought I should show why I did not take part in the big sew-along this time... you see; I have a very nice little selection of perfectly lovely handmade goodnesses to choose from when it comes to cooking-related apparel; already!
All of which are of quite high sentimental value to me since they were hand-crafted by my two favourite ladies in my life; my Mum and my daughter Cassie.
I own two aprons and one pair of oven mitts.  Actually I have one other pair of oven mitts too, cruddy old ones which I actually use.  The ones Cassie made are too good to muck up  :)  But I do wear the aprons.
They are both quite simple in line and style BUT the divinity is in the details.
Firstly; the striped apron above was handwoven and made by my mother, and I have been using it all my adult married life.
It is all cotton; the fabric handwoven by Mum on a big floor loom in a plain weave; and has twill tape attached for the neck bizzo and the waist ties.
I just love the colours Mum chose  :)
Secondly; I have an apron and oven mitts set; made by Cassie when she was in year 11 for an Art assignment.  
This was term project, culminating in this apron and oven mitt set, a framed painting, and a whole portfolio of sketches.  The name of the project is Eve's Temptation... thus the sprinkling of cherries (innocence) and apples (temptation) over the textiles.  The fruit is all embroidered in three different reds, plus yellow and black, and is richly textured.
The embroidered bits were all created by Cassie devoting hours to madly feverish back-and-forth sewing on my daggy little sewing machine, that ahem, does not do embroidery.  It overheated and broke down during the saga, which was pretty devastating to both of us, for entirely different reasons!... but we won't dwell on that melancholy time; my machine was repaired, Cassie finished the project with a fresh perspective on respecting other people's property, and we remained friends ....  happily ever after etc etc!
The black designs are screen-printed and with some random areas of machine embroidery for a bit of added texture, and Eve's red lips are embroidered too.  Also all done on my very ordinary non-embroidery machine.
So you can see I'm pretty right in the apron department.  I am so lucky to have such clever creative women in my family!
(I am also wearing here my Bamboo shoot top from Pattern Magic; and my curtaining skirt from Vogue 1247)

29 comments:

  1. So interesting oven mitts!! Never saw such ones! Cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice - love the - overlay?? - on the one Cassie made. Picture upon picture. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Never seen such amazing aprons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter is very talented - the apron and mits look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them all! And what great inspiration for non-embroidery-machine-embroidery :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh at this post. I sincerely hope you also have a terrible old apron in the back of the kitchen drawer, because these are so beautiful I can only imagine them being popped on for a second whilst you do something about as messy as slice cheese.Obviously you are a much more tidy cook than I, or much better at laundry, or more likely, both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so lucky to have such talented ladies in your family, including you that is! I love Cassie's design, it's really clever and for someone who hates embroidery... And your mother's apron is as you say, so beautifully simple but such wonderful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can well imagine the machine protested at being made to do embroidery...I nearly exhausted mine on a craft project a couple of months ago - I've never seen so much thread used up for a silly lace bowl... Your apron and mitts are a much better product. V. clever, the ladies in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are both fabulous aprons. There was major love poured into those projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your daughter is clearly following in your footsteps with her creativity - love love love the apron ad oven mits, however like you I couldn't never wear them if they could possibly get ruined. I can't believe your mum wove that other apron. As others have said you are a creative family

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fabulous aprons!! What a good team...
    have a nice day
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are all very talented. You Mums weaving is awesome as is Cassie's talent.
    i'm glad your feeling better. The flowers were lovely.
    Speaking of PM and bamboo, I've done the pattern on paper so I hope to make up my first attempt, thanks to your reviews and ongoing reviews of all things Pattern Magic.
    I really appreciate what you've created so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you three... I am showing it to my 10 yo daughter as an inspiration for the future -- both the aprons and the shining kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them! Your mom WOVE that material? wow... and I do love Cassie's work, nice for a young girl of 11. She definitely has some of your flair!

    I must say I've never seen oven mitts that were attached to each other like that... interesting. I assume to help protect delicate forearms. Now I'm curious to try using a pair.

    Referring back to your previous post.. I said I would never be bold enough to wear some of your clothes even though I adore your skills and creations - I just get self-conscious wearing anything but jeans and a plain shirt (never mind I am too old for such...). But, I will tell you - seeing such creative things has made me think about getting out of my comfort zone - AKA a rut. I wish I had some of your creativity, but that is just not my gift.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I usually don´t use aprons, but I own a few donated by my mother who always tells me not to wear the "nice clothes" in the kitchen. "If you use it among pots you won´t show it off among the others" is what she says,(it rhymes in spanish)
    I might not use them but I treasure them.
    Yours are lovely, I love your daughter´s specially.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really gorgeous. But I am amazed that there are no stains on them. All of my aprons, mitts and tea towels are sporting permanent stains - oil, tomato etc. Your kitchen looks impeccable as well

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Your daughter's embroidery is amazing! What artists sacrifice in the making of their creations can seem big in the short-term, but hey, the machine was fixed, and you have this beautiful tactile work of art for life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your daughter's embroidery is gorgeous. The aprons are so cute and your kitchen is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love both your aprons, but Cassie's project is a completely wonderful work of art. Aren't you afraid of getting it all mucky dirty? I always sorely abuse my aprons, so don't really have any pretty ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your aprons are so lovely....almost too nice to use in the kitchen! Don't worry about those awful people as you do a wonderful job with your sewing and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous aprons and so different love them both, you have a very talented family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can totally see why you don't need other aprons when you have these two! they are both stunning and I'm truly amazed at the creativity of your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  23. No wonder there are such talented women around you ..... shared genes! Love, love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love wearing an apron. Just putting it on makes me feel like I am ready to make a warm home for my boys. I have just one - a gift from my aunt when I was dating Kevin (gifted during a family reunion where alot of jokes were made about how I would cook for him wearing that apron!) I have thought it might be good to make myself a second, as then the first might get washed more often.

    I love the story of Cassie's school project. She did such a nice job.

    And I'm jealous of the beautiful nearly bare counters in your kitchen. We are pile-ers here ... ALL of us.... gah! Sometimes I have to settle for clean and neat and straightened piles, but your kitchen seems just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your cherry apron is a work of art. I love how it's 'painted' with stitches and looks different up close and from a distance. I think if I had that it would be framed and on the wall, although it does look perfectly at home in your lovely kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both aprons and mitts, absolutely things of great beauty.

    What a talented family! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. They are all awesome pieces! How fun!

    ReplyDelete