I've been on such a sewing bendahh lately!! making loads of stuff for the family as well as myself. Must be the influence of spring; new growth in the garden and blissfully warm days lend themselves to thoughts of rejuvenating, renewing; everything in one's life. I've been cleaning out cupboards, sorting through wardrobes, and adding new clothes to our lives... :)
Somebody stop me!!
So I've made hoodies recently for Craig and for Sam; and Andrea observantly noted that I do have another man in my life; our eldest son Tim. :D I love making things for my boys (as well as my girl, of course) but I feel especially super proud when I see my boys heading out in stuff made by me. Seems more of a stamp of cool-approval. imo it is easy to make great girl-y stuff, but it is a much bigger challenge to make stuff that gets the thumbs up from a young man.
I used the same pattern copied from an old RTW one; and size-adjusted for Tim's lanky build.
Tim looks really handsome in grey, and I still had some of this grey marle jersey from KnitWit. It is the same fabric I used for my clipped wings top as well as my grey jersey lingerie set. Luckily; the store has had this in stock for months, which is utterly fab since I've nipped back to buy just a little bit more twice now! I cut out all the hoodie pieces of this fabric and got halfway through construction. Then had overwhelming and crippling doubts that it was all going to be a bit too unrelentingly pale, featureless and boring, and so at the last moment I re-cut the hood and pocket pieces from a khaki/caramel coloured cotton jersey and used these instead. I bought the khaki jersey from KnitWit as well, last year some time.
The hoodie has a kangaroo pocket, and the sleeves and lower edge were finished with a long folded ring-band using this method. Tim wanted the sleeves over-long, so the band method is a good way to add length to a sleeve without having to remove the length required for a hem.
The hood/drawstring-collar was constructed using this method.
I'm really pleased with the two-tone result. When Sam saw it he asked for a two-tone one too.... so I had to promise that his next hoodie will be like this too... (sigh)
And: the very last leftover pieces of this pale grey marle cotton jersey was yesterday subjected to a dye-bath.... hehehe; and I am super thrilled with how the colour has worked out :)) Results to appear here soon!