Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Full Moon, from Pattern Magic 3

I have made a new .... er, thing.  A top?  Yup, I think I have made a new top.  Maybe it's more of an experiment than a top really.  One of the drafting exercises exploring how the placement of apertures governs the drape of the circular pattern piece...  from p12 of Pattern Magic 3 by Tomoko Nakamichi; Full Moon.  The companion piece in the same vein is the Crescent Moon top, posted here.
I made it using some more of the fabric stash given to me by my friend C from her late mother's stash.  Two different black fleeces; slightly different shades of black and slightly different degrees of fluffiness, and I joined smaller pieces together in unobtrusive places to get pieces big enough to make the top.  One of the pieces I used wrong side out since it closely mimicked the right side of the other fabric.

Here is the thing... it may not get worn a whole bunch.  I have prepared myself for no one reading my blog to like it.  It has suffered some knock-backs already: no one in my family likes it.  Actually, everyone loathes it  :D  I put this on the first time a few mornings ago and wandered out into the kitchen... and my mother, staying with us, asked incredulously if I planned to wear this out.  I replied in a small voice, yes... and well, to cut to the chase I have been forbidden to wear this while I am out with my mother!  Yikes!  I can't believe I'm middle aged and am still wearing stuff that my mother doesn't approve...  I'm still a fashion rebel, yeah!!
But my feeling is that it is not that bad.   As a top: the pouffiness presents a dressing challenge, true; it is a sihouette that is not particularly figure flattering, which in our body-conscious world translates to not very fashionable, and so is rarely seen.  Except in circles who are really interested in sartorial innovation.  But I think that over-blousiness on a top half can be successfully counteracted by wearing a long and slim-line lower half.
The diagonal drape-lines achieved by skewing the waistband and the neckline is interesting and quite attractive, and I can imagine this concept being incorporated beautifully into a skirt design.
Oh, and btw my skirt is kinda new, to me anyway.  My mother made it for herself but it has shrunk in the wash, so I have inherited it.  I had to take the waistband off and take it in at the side seams to fit me, but I think I can allow myself to wear it since it is handmade by Mum.  The pattern she used is Vogue 8561; the fabric, a stretchy lightweight denim from KnitWit.  Coincidentally, also used inside out!  Cute, yes?  I really like the one lone little asymmetrical, disproportionate shield-of-arms pocket.  That is a very nice detail.
Thank you Mum!

Details:
Top; the Full Moon top, drafted from p12 of Pattern Magic 3 byTomoko Nakamichi, various lightweight black fleeces
Tshirt (under); self-drafted, white cotton jersey
Skirt (made by Mum, altered to fit by me); Vogue 8561, blue stretch denim
Shoes; Perrini, had for yonks and yonks

21 comments:

  1. Here's to the fashion rebel!!!

    I like it! I really like the drape!

    Now, black isn't a colour you usually wear. I'm wondering if the genetic front would have been more positively inclined if you had first made it in a colour you more usually wear, as in not as harsh on you?

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way the drape falls in the front. The fleece seems puffier in the back than the front, but paired with the more slender-cut skirt, it seems to work. Loathing seems to be a rather harsh emotional reaction for this garment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the more your mom groans about it, kinda makes ya want to wear it more right? Or is that just me? Actually I haven't had that happen in awhile, but sometimes it's good to be a rebel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the top is pretty weird and not the least bit flattering.!! I did not realise that the skirt fabric was inside out. Are you sure you are not getting back at me for the "top" comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting top and you can carry of the style especially wearing the ultra cute skirt that your Mum made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! I love the drape but I think you are partially right.. it won't suit someone like me ... height/weight challenged, but I do think it suits you and the proportion is right with the long line skirt. Can I ask... from the photo it looks like the under portion is the waist hole and the top larger one is the head hole and then when you put your arms in the other smaller holes..that makes the drape? Ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the back drape of the top and your new skirt - thanks to Mum.

    What a fashion rebel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hum, I couldn't say I like it, but it's interesting! Is it comfortable to wear? Your mother's comment made me laugh: totally back in adolescence!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not many people could pull off such a unique silhouette; I love Japanese pattern books and innovative shapes & draping but most of those silhouettes would look ridiculous on me, sadly.

    You are quite slender, however, so I think as you say, as long as it's paired with a slender bottom it could work. I think I'd like to see it without the tshirt underneath and with a black pencil skirt instead. That drape in front is so elegant, it should be center stage :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I like it. You are right it looks great with the slender skirt (great skirt too by the way). I suspect it wouldn't look so good on someone with a curvier shape but on your long lean silhouette it works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I be honest? I'm not sure it works as-is but I think you're onto something with pairing it with something long and narrow. I'd like to see it with cigarette pants in black. The draping is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This top does not even compliment your beautiful figure Carolyn, so anyone with a less than average figure does not stand a chance of pulling it off. Sorry.....just being honest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmm. What does the bottom hem of the top look like? I'm thinking it's the bubble effect I'm not keen on. If it was more straight down it might be better. How about with some skinny jeans? I'm prepared to believe the top has merits that don't show up in the photo, but on the whole I think it's a shame for you to hide your great figure. Save this for your old age...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking it would look pretty neat without the shirt underneath and over something short. Kind of funky cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in two minds about this - if your family thinks it's weird and doesn't suit you, and they see you walking around in it, I'm sure there must be something right about their judgement.

    But: I really like it, the blousy, drapey effect is very interesting.
    I think I would prefer it with a black skirt (as to give it the illusion of a dress, more so) and maybe a see-through shirt underneath.

    Had to laugh about your Mom's comment! It must be good to feel rebellious! I'm sure your mom had to laugh about herself as well.

    Love the skirt. Such a talented family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it, it looks funky and unusual. I'm not so keen on the pairing with a white T shirt or denim skirt (IMHO). Like a few of the other commenters, I would like to see it with slim black/grey trousers/skirt. I also wonder (if you make it again) if a lighter weight fabric would drape a little better.
    I love that you give these pattern magic patterns a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really look forward to your posts because you continue to surprise! I had to go away and think about this top; at first I thought it would have worked better in a more fluid fabric. Then I thought " it's supposed to be pouffy!". Lucky for you, you are the right proportions to carry off unusual shapes, so I say wear it with pride :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted to say I love the skirt. I have made one too and love it. The top is interesting too, though not my thing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, you tried something new, that's always worth doing. :) Maybe you can wear it to an avant-garde party or fashion show.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the skirt. I am a casual gal.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Actually, you kinda rock that look! I imagine it would look really elegant paired with some slim, satiny capris...

    ReplyDelete