Sunday, August 26, 2012

Ultramarine corduroy skirt; 6 different ways

Y'know, sometimes you add something to your wardrobe purely on a crazy whim and you have a teeny niggling doubt about how well it is actually going to work?  This ultramarine corduroy skirt, made using Vogue 1170 and first posted here; is one of those things.  I grabbed the fabric without thinking about it very much during a mad Spotlight sale.. you know, one of those instinctive "ooh, pretty colour" moments when you are rushing past a table of fabrics on your way to the cutting counter and your brain is on autopilot, really focused on getting in the queue before it builds up too much. 
I think one of the reasons I really like doing these 6 different ways posts for myself is because of that old old wardrobe rule of thumb taught to me when I was growing up... every new thing you add to your wardrobe must go with at least six other things.  I am a very whimsical seamster, but once I've got something I do still like to mix and match and make sure a thing has several good options to partner up with; not just one other thing.  One must be practical  (sigh)
Luckily bright blue has slotted in very well after all, and I've grown to love its punchy shock of colour against my traditional pale and/or sludgy neutrals!  I have worn each of these outfits over the past month or so, and taken each photo on the day that I wore it.  With the exception of the first very summery one; I just put that outfit in there to show a bit of seasonal variety so to speak.  The weather is still coldish here... well it is for me anyway.  I am such a wuss in that regard.  But things are warming up very nicely lately.  Spring is in the air!

Below: at left; the skirt worn with the pretty knotted blouse that is from that very same Vogue pattern.  They are designed to go together and I do think they look very nice together.  I like the textural clash of decadent glossy silk against the homely corduroy.  I will wear this outfit on a much warmer day  :)  At right; the blue holds its own when worn as part of a trio of bright colours.  Colourblocking!  Still a trendy concept, yes?  According to the shop windows here-abouts it sure is anyway.  Brights are gonna be "in" for the down-under spring.
Below: at left; these muddy mossy shades of green against bright bright blue felt "wrong" at first but then I really loved them and was pleased I had forced them together.  Such an unexpected combination, it worked beautifully!  I felt sorta "art student" or "urban hipster" in this ensemble.  I felt cool.  In my book that is a very good thing.  At right; on a colder rainy day I wore a warm and cosy, all-charcoal-grey outfit with just one slice of bright blue corduroy showing to add a peep of colour.
Below: at left; playing it safe, letting the brilliant blue colour take centre stage and be the prima donna against neutrals of black and cream.  A nice outfit, I liked it.  It is plain, but then again maybe this is very me.  I am plain!  At right; worn along with all the other bright blue garments in my collection, and with just wine-red leggings to break up the colour scheme and add another shade to the mix.

What am I wearing today? well, actually yesterday I wore the last all-ultramine-blue-with-the-red-leggings outfit, just above.  I meant to post this yesterday, but got distracted with writing my review for shape shape, hehe.  Today I am still wearing the skirt, but with something completely different!

23 comments:

  1. I really like these posts and I thank you for making me think about how new things I make will go with everything else in my wardrobe... should I make the orange linen jacket??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the long cardigan in yesterday's look. And have made a mental note to try satin with a cordoroy skirt I have lurking in the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the second outfit ...the colour blocking . :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this shade of blue. I am not a blue wearer but I have a couple of things this colour and I'm surprised by how versatile it is. I really like the way you've paired it with the mossy greens. That's a combination I would never have thought of and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful skirt and I love all the outfits. I agree, I esp. like the pairing with the mossy greens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This skirt is so pretty in both versions you have of it...it is in my looong sewing list :)
    The colours is great and your combinations very imaginative and effective: I like the colour blocking one and the last one is very original. Thanks for these posts, I´m not very good at mixing and matching, they are very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how many looks you get out of one skirt. I am going to try this with a very bright green skirt I have. I wonder will I get 6 looks?
    I love the red leggings outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the all blue last outfit! I've been dithering over this pattern for a while, now I think I may have to buy it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garments are always top notch!! Gorgeous color too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it funny how colours unexpectedly work together? I also think that 'trends' change, but sometimes people have to figure things out themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your rainy day outfit. After seeing those shoes on your blog for sometime now, I think I'm going to have to search the internet for something similar. I love those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last outfit is my favorite with the mix of all the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your 6-ways post. I find them inspiring. BTW, that bright blue is one of my best colors. It really brings out my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. seeing your skirt 6-ways, I am wanting this pattern as well. looks like this designer has a way with great skirts. the color is fantastic, I always like brights and it combines nicely in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really good idea, I hadn't thought about "6 ways" - most of my clothes sure don't fit that gap... or maybe they would if i actually tested it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your styling and this skirt really works well for brights, different occasions and seasons too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute skirt. I like all the looks, but worn with the green tshirt it is particularly appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great versatile piece in such a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the green and blue look really good together! It's a very pretty color, and I'm glad you found so many ways to make it work with your "sludgy" colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your outfit posts! This color looks great in so many combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome skirt! I think 1, 3, and 6 are particularly awesome but they all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these posts. I need to revive my old "remixing" things at some point. I like #4 the best, with just the hint of blue peeping out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Amazing Thanks for the sharing. Excellent your Charcoal Skirts related goods clothing Uniforms onlie shopping in australia at stylecorp-uniforms-myshopify Clothing Agency.

    ReplyDelete