Monday, August 27, 2012

An olive and a skull

I've made some necklaces.
Cassie discovered the Bead Post in the old Post Office in Fremantle, just across from the railway station, and we paid them a visit.  Oh my gosh, so many beautiful beads!
A few years ago a group of my friends and I were fully into making costume jewellery, it was a bit of a fad.  My enthusiasm has waned somewhat, but it only takes one room full of beautiful beads to re-awaken the sleeping beading beast within, mwahaha.  I recalled that my sister-in-law had a birthday coming up, hehehe.  Yes.  My family are often the innocent victims of my passion for making stuff, and they are always such gracious recipients too.
As soon as I saw that glossy oval mossy-green bead I thought "olive!" and bought two little miniature red beads to be the pimiento in the middle, and some leather cord.  I made this one for my sister-in-law for her birthday.  I think this olive is very "her".  Luckily she thought so too and put it on straight away, which I thought very kind and sweet of her.  I have a very high regard for good giftees.  My family are fantastic that way  :)
I also fell utterly in love with a little skull bead.  I had the red bead and the clear teardrop already; so I made another pendant, fashioning the charms with organic twists of silver wire.  I like the way the little red bead is like a droplet of blood and the glass teardrop is like... well, a teardrop.
Sorta cute/modern-gothic, no?  I think so.

18 comments:

  1. Yes, I think so! Very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so "you". Simple and classic and gorgeous.

    PS-now I will spend time today going through my beading stuff. Bad Carolyn. 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I think I'm more 'olive' than 'skull'. I've recently found a jewellery making shop and I'm keen to get started remodeling some of my Aunt Rita's fabulous jewellery to make it more wearable for petite little old me. Some of the Native American stuff will never work, but perhaps I shouldn't say never... Isn't it wonderful when someone appreciates their handmade gift!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them! I left all my beading stuff at my mom's house, but there's a cool bead store in Paris and whenever I pass it I just have to go in and look around. So far I've resisted the urge to start up again, but I know it's a losing battle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I just learned how much easier making jewelry is than sewing. I still love sewing best, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute!!!!!!!!!
    I love the olive necklace. I wear many necklaces, I think that is the better and easiest way to embellish a garment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Qué bonito, me encanta. Es precioso. Algunas veces tambien hago pulseras y colgantes, pero ahora estoy más aficionada a la costura.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool. I have a box of large brown glass beads that I bought to make some curtain tie backs some time ago. I had them out last week looking for inspiration for a necklace but none came sadly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't start glass bead making. It is an obsession that captured two of my friends. One quit her job, makes jewellery all week, and spends every weekend selling it at the market. I never see her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been in a bead shop for ages...and yet, now, I want to go looking for a skull bead.

    Olives always make me think of eyeballs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I walk past a bead shop every day and I often stand and drool at the window. Sitting in a bowl in my living room are three bags of beads that mock me every day. Perhaps tonight is the night ... thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Olives and martinis!!!
    I love both of these necklaces but somehow the olive neckalce just brought out the cocktail hour in me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful!Love all your creative passions, does not resist anything for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carolyn. Just a general question. Do you still wear clothing that you made when you first started this blog? Or do you regularly clear out?

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh fun. I always thought I would enjoy doing this sort of thing but no ... time ... I'll enjoy yours vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rianna; thank you! and yes, I do still wear some of the clothes I made when I first started the blog, as well as some clothes I made *years* before starting it too. At the same time, some things I have made since starting the blog have worn out and been thrown out... some fabrics just last a lot longer than others :) I do clean out my wardrobe regularly too. I may do a post on the subject sometime, thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete