Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sludgy little skirt; 6 different ways

I haven't done one of these for a while! but that's OK since I thought May and June came with somewhat of an overload of "daily outfits" posts, no?  ;)
I am so thrilled with this little sludgy skirt, made using Vogue 1247 and originally posted about here, along with my review of this fab pattern.  In fact dressing it up in 6 different outfits felt a bit like cheating.  It is the perfect basic for my tastes... a plain little skirt is my favoured skirt silhouette,  and this deep purple-y brown shade I achieved through over-dyeing is a favoured neutral in my palette that goes with just about everything I own.  The only reservation I have is the length! it is just a touch on the short side even though my version is 5cm longer than the designer intended.  I wore it several times during the warmer months but always felt a tad self-conscious about bending over, which with my doggy, household-y lifestyle is pretty ridiculous.  However, in the winter months with tights, it has really come into its own!
These are all outfits I have worn over the past few weeks and I took each photo on the day I wore it.  With the exception of this first very summery one, natch.  I just put that one in for some seasonal variety...  


Below: at left; the top and the skirt from Vogue 1247 worn both together, how the designer intended.  I just love the silhouette of this outfit, the oversized block-y top is perfectly balanced out by the form-fitting, plain little mini underneath.  There is no doubt in my mind I will make this skirt and this top up again in different fabrics, too!  I am totally not surprised that Pattern Review named this pattern one of the patterns of the year! At right; with my crazy patterned tights, and my twisty Pattern magic top, the skirt is a solid and unobtrusive little block of plainness to separate and balance out each of these eye-catching garments.
Below: at left; during a recent discussion with friends, someone remarked that the only two colours that did not go together were brown and grey.  I immediately became slightly obsessed with the thought of wearing those two colours together successfully.  I really love this outfit.  I found it interesting that the other greys in my outfit really brought out the purple in the skirt.  At right; the warm chocolate is nice and cosy-looking when worn with a warm all reddy-purple-y-raspberry palette.
Below: at left; The skirt blends in with an all-chocolate ensemble with just an expected touch of bright colour in a shocking pink pair of tights.  Random fact: I actually garnered a wolf-whistle from a passing truck in this outfit... ha!   :D  And at right; I saw a similar outfit to this in Australian Vogue magazine and tried to emulate it with my own wardrobe.  I really liked this, the combination of a casual chambray shirt with the mini and lace-up heels has a hip, comfy and pretty cool vibe, I thought.  The skirt's plain shape means it looks equally good with shirts tucked in, or left hanging out.  I love this versatility in a skirt.
Which outfit here do you like the best?  Just for interest's sake I am wearing the all raspberry hued outfit today.  Except it was pretty nippy earlier this morning, so gloves were on!

26 comments:

  1. That's the beauty of a great garment; you can create so many different looks with it. I really need to add this pattern to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav is the bottom left one. Apparently I'm of the same opinion as the guy in the passing truck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the all-raspberry outfit, but I have a soft spot for that color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your six different ways posts! It really shows off your creativity and the depth of your wardrobe. All gorgeous! And all made by you!
    It's inspiring:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE brown with grey, especially grey tights with brown boots, like you've done, or a grey dress with brown buttons. Warm greys work best, but I always go for warm greys anyway. (I think that outfit's my favourite too, along with the raspberry...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, since you asked, I love the raspberry outfit for winter and the first one for summer.
    The rest of them are great for different moods :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know you have a great wardrobe item when you can wear it so many different ways! And because you asked, I think I like 1 and 4 the best - one for summer and one for winter.
    I often wear my skirts shorter in winter because tights make me feel less bare! I don't go this short anymore, but it's a lovely length on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All six looks are fabulous, but I think you hit the nail on the head with the gray and brown combination. They say older women aren't supposed to wear shorter skirts, but I suspect "they" are in their twenties. You have the legs for it, and flats are really great with short skirts. Thanks for showing us the versatility of this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your taunting me yet again with this marvelous skirt. It simply must go in the que.

    My standout outfit is the chocolate/raspberry theme because the color and style of the jacket is so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorites are the burnt orange shirt one, and the hot pink tights one. I am in awe at your styling abilities and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, I have to get this pattern! I love all your outfits but my favorite is middle right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to make this skirt! It's in my pattern collection, what's taking me so long? I like number four, but to be honest, I like all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the middle right one the best, but they are all nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these posts! I like the first and third combinations best. I admire your ability for layering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favourite is the version with the chocolate jacket. I like the crazy tights too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this skirt! My favourites are the raspberry outfit and summer one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to be you when I grow up so I can look so good wearing a "sludgy little skirt"! Except I would have to grow down (age-wise), and up (length-wise), so I guess it isn't gonna happen ;-D

    You've pulled off 6 totally different and equally awesome looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the raspberry look is my favorite, but I quite like the styling on the top right as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all these looks on you. You so have the legs for a shorter skirt ! I wish I did. I cant decide my favourite, but if pushed I think I love the colour combination of the first outfit. I can totally see how you got whistled at lol :-) BTW I love these posts where you show different stylings of the same item. Very inspiring ! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI Carolyn, thanks for the compliment on my coat, you asked, the pattern is Simplicity 2311. I thought the lapels looked too big but they turned out to be just right. I did add two vertical waist darts in the back for shaping as it seemed a bit boxy, and left off the belt. By the way - I just made the same skirt (outfit) as you are wearing 6 ways, that skirt is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love when you do these posts. Gives one inspiration to think differently about things in one's wardrobe. Don't think I could pick just one favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. my favorite is the raspberry too ....

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the first outfit with both the patterns top and skirt worn together. Looks so summery! I bought this pattern last year and am still to make it up. I bought it for the top but you've convinced me to make the skirt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's hard to believe you're wearing the same skirt in all of the pictures! #1 and #5 are my favorites - summer and winter. I'm sold on those shocking pink tights!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have gotten such good use out of that pattern. I wonder, did you change the sleeves on the top when you made it? I vote for the orange top and sludgy skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that name - sludgy little skirt. I have a pair of shorts that seem to go with everything--it's so great having something versatile like that. I really love #6 with the shirt sleeves coming out of the kimono top--the proportions are too fun! The first one with the blouse looks so summer perfect.

    ReplyDelete