Monday, June 4, 2012

Tripping

Me made May has been successfully completed, and the majorest challenge for me this time round was putting pictures in the Flickr group... A monumental difficulty when one does not have a reliable computer! Thank goodness for Craig whose expertise with all things computer-related made it possible for me to post a picture onto the Internet using our iPad, as well as solving all sorts of unanticipated and dodgy connectivity issues. I was very pleased that I did manage to post my picture onto the Flickr group each day... And I think I managed to keep up with commenting within the group. Once we started our trip my computer time became so limited all I had time to do was post my own picture and then look at and comment on only the ladies who were kind enough to leave a comment on my own efforts, so if I left anyone out then I apologise!
When traveling of course one's scenery is always going to be varied and interesting and I was blessed in this respect. I was also fortunate to have the rare luxury of a built-in photographer! and of course tourists are supposed to take photos of themselves, so there has been none of the usual embarrassment factor in that aspect of the challenge!
Now, what have I learned by doing this challenge for the fifth time around? Unsurprisingly not much new. Just that I really enjoy challenges that allow me to play about in my wardrobe :) As far as my wardrobe goes; I have very little that is not me-made any more so finding something to wear is not a problem. I did not repeat any outfits, but a few current favourite pieces in my collection popped up more than once. And I have no gaps that need "filling" :) quite the opposite ;D
Of course, being on holiday means that we are still taking photos daily! so I might extend the challenge for a bit longer, put a few more photos here, just for fun and to show some sights, and how my self-made pieces work out for travel. To see the remainder of my me-made May daily photos and a very brief summary of the day's activities, the link to my entire set is associated with the me-made May '12 button at right. But in the meantime... 1 June
Self drafted dress
Metalicus petticoat
Taken on a really cool structure in the Parco Sempione in Milan, an amphitheater made of concrete with old cafe chairs embedded within for the audience to sit on. So cool! I also wore this dress during our long long flights over; because it is super comfortable and non-crushable. Important for something one will be spending hours in, and sleeping in. This ensemble is a beaut for such situations.
From Handmade by Carolyn
2 June
Taken at Lake Como, Italy
The bamboo shoot top from Pattern Magic, Vogue 1247 curtaining skirt, and chenille scarf. It was very warm in Milan thus the summery feel, but I had my chenille scarf for our train and ferry ride to Lake Como, which was chilly. Having a big warm scarf that one can "wrap up in" is indispensable when travelling. I've used this one heaps on the cooler evenings and for air-conditioned spots, such as the aforementioned trains.
3 June Burda 7723 white linen shorts, a self drafted Tshirt (not seen) and a fleece KwikSew 3367 hoodie; a pattern that was a gift from the lovely Mary. Actually have worn this hoodie several times while hiking during this trip, but happened to be not for any photos. Oh, and also hand knitted socks! Another day of reasonable heavy duty mountainous hiking, this time from Varenna to Esina Lario, at Lake Como, Italy. Taken with one of the "ghosts" at Castello di Vezio; very atmospheric mediaeval ruins, situated on a peak halfway up the mountain. Naturally, we continued on up the entire mountain!

38 comments:

  1. Absolutely LOVE those cafe chairs! And your hoodie outfit with the sculpture - too classic ;-)

    You, of course, look as casually & elegantly beautiful as you always do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Milano and Lake Como, lovely backdrop. Comfy non-creasing clothes are a must for long flights and your dress is great.

    As Jilly Be has said, classic and elegant as usual :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely trip! A trip to Italy is dreamy, and looking so chic to boot! Glad to have you back:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the photos are just wonderful. So beautifully framed and posed. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so enjoying your blog, and now I am loving the pictures of your trip! Your (or whoever is behind the camera) pictures are fabulous (your clothes, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your holiday pics are really lovely and they do compliment your made me wardrobe nicely. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cafe chairs in the amphitheatre are so cool! And I think you're wearing the perfect outfit for that location; I love the stripes paired w/ the petticoat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool -- I love your choice of locales to visit. I wonder how many tourists go to the cafe chair amphitheater or visit ghosts?

    Thanks for sharing your vacation pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your clothes are great and I love your photos. You should be an ambassador as the pics make me want to jump on a plane to Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your trip looks wonderful! And that amphitheater with the embedded cafe chairs - YOW. I love that dress you are wearing - so light and breezy looking. Everything looks great.

    I just thought of you earlier today, traveling somewhere, so it's nice to see an update!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are in top form hiking almost every day! Lovely photos.
    my favourite is the last one. You are visiting such cool places!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing the beautiful holiday photographs! It is so lovely to see you in them. It seems you are enjoying wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brava, bella ragazza. enjoy the rest of your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo... love your photos from Italy. Incredibly envious of course as well. Nice to see your clothes 'working' all over the place - I'm glad you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. looking chic and relax as always x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love to see the photos of the places you've visited and this time around I was never very clear what your destination was. Those chairs in the cement of the coliseum are a unique feature.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stylish as always and love the gorgeous backgrounds... sounds like it was an awesome trip! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I fell in love with your Metalicus dress the first time you presented it in your blog. I so want one too :)
    I've been following your journey on Flickr and I'm really impressed by your hiking. Looking forward to your full return to blogland to tell us more about the places you've been and the journey as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on completing your me made May, especially while traveling! I love your photos, the spots you've shown are brilliant, especially the old cafe chairs in the concrete!

    ReplyDelete
  20. sounds a fantastic holiday and what a bonus to wear all your comfy and practical home made clothes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you are continuing the photos from your holiday. Not sure what I'm enjoying most - the setting or the clothes! The clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic pictures, I have always wanted to visit Italy .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing you trip´s pictures! To take a moment to upload pictures to flickr in your holidays is very appreciated for your readers, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carolyn...if you get back anywhere near Milan or visit lake maggiore, drop me an email! I´d love to meet up if you have time

    ReplyDelete
  25. ooh, I love those chairs! The stripped dress is also one of my favorites. It looks like you are having a lovely time together. I'm off to look at your flicker pics now. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hope you enjoy your stay in Italy, my favourite place to go - and just 2000 km away from here

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, what a fun trip. I'm certainly up for you sharing more pictures of your travels! I love the striped dress, it does look comfy for long trans - oceanic flights ... I'm always afraid to wear a dress or skirt whilst traveling as I imagine it might invite one to have a security pat down (at least here in the USA) ...

    ReplyDelete
  28. You always have the BEST scenery. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, the concrete cafe chair amphitheatre is very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Does this mean lots of Italian silks in your luggage? DD and I are plotting an Italian odessey.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Being a bit disconnected on holiday can be really frustrating...but it can also be a blessing, part of what makes it more of a holiday. Love the chairs being re-used. That faceless statue reminds of a similar one in Prague, and we've seen another someplace I can't call to mind at the moment. They are eerie and beautiful - like much of Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your outfits, so sensible and stylish all at once.The photographs are terrific.
    I know it could be worked out from your flickr posts, but would you consider doing a travel wardrobe summary post when you get back?One with all the garments together? I am always interested to see the garments people take when travelling and what works for them when the activities, (and sometimes the weather) are varied and the wardrobe so small. I am sure your take on this would be very useful for lots of people.

    ReplyDelete
  33. SUCH a dreamy trip! The outfits amazing, the setting even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oooh, how wonderful! Enjoy Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Really love your photos especially the garden in the first one. The gardens here are a little dreary and damp looking at the moment so the flowers are nice.

    I know what you mean about holiday clothing. Coming home is like Christmas all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great trip! Wonderful backdrops for your outfits, I adore your white skirt

    ReplyDelete