Sunday, June 17, 2012

Paris in the spring; such a marvellous thing


9 June
Self drafted dress, Metalicus petticoat, Vogue jacket in red silk hessian, also a self drafted Tshirt underneath (not seen) for some extra warmth.  This photo above was taken by Craig on the Pont Neuf in the setting sun.
I had a perfectly lovely day, meeting up with Donna for some very enjoyable girly chatting, lunching and shopping in the fabulous fabric stores in Montmartre, and for knitting yarn at the most divine little knitting cafe L'Oisive The.  It was such fun, and it was so nice to meet you Donna!

 
10 June
Ok, going for the touristy shot here, but when one is a tourist one is but helpless to resist, no? That's my excuse, anyway...  :D
Here I am at the famous landmark along with about a bajillion other people... wearing my creamy ivory Vogue 1247 skirt made of a curtaining remnant, a self-drafted Tshirt (not seen), KwikSew 3667 light grey fleece hoodie (thank you Mary for this cute pattern!), and self drafted grey/beige footless tights. I confess I laughed to myself when I tossed these tights into my suitcase, thinking no way am I ever going to need these. After all, it is nearly summer in Europe, right? But I figured, oh well, tights don't take up a lot of space, so what the hey... And here we are; and it is freezing in Paris. Thank goodness I did pop in the pair of tights!!
Now, just to note: Craig has taken all of my travelling photos so far, submitting patiently and good natured-ly to my strict instructions about where to stand and how to frame the shot although I have to admit that some photos were candid and were not stage-managed by the camera control freak (ie. me)  However on this day he was attending a conference, the real reason behind our sojourn in Europe; and so this is a self portrait.  I did not take my full size tripod, but used instead my little gorilla-grip tripod and the self-timer button on the camera.
 
11 June
Attending the conference dinner, a river cruise; and aha! I just knew I had to have brought those annoyingly space-guzzling high heels for some reason other than to just look glamorous on the plane!!  Also wearing a lace skirt of my own design based on Vogue 7303, self drafted white cotton Tshirt, Colinette chenille scarf, Burda beige cotton trench coat.  I had intended to deposit my trench coat in the cloak room and wear my scarf draped glamorously across my shoulders like a stole since it looks quite nice that way, but it was so cold! so I wussily did not remove my coat all evening  :)
12 June
Self drafted and dyed purple Tshirt, Burda 7863 black stretch cotton corduroy jeans, my hand knitted fitted cardigan in chocolate brown Jo Sharp summer cotton.  Another self portrait since Craig is again at the conference and I spent another quietly self-indulgent morning exploring Paris on my own.  This photo taken in the Jardin du Luxembourg.

Later edit!!
13 June
I got confused with the dates (easy when you're my age) and almost forgot to include this day, which is ridiculous since it was an important one... we spent the day with our simply delightful exchange student Laura, and had the pleasure of meeting her lovely mother for lunch also.  We became extremely fond of Laura during her stay with us in Perth, she was like a daughter to us and it was wonderful to see her again.  Isn't she just totally gorgeous?  This blurry action shot in front of Notre Dame is the only one Craig took this day showing my outfit... my black jeans, my chocolate brown hand knitted cotton cardigan, my Colinette chenille hand knitted scarf, and not seen here but I am also wearing a self-drafted Tshirt and hand knitted socks, as usual

14  June
Taken in the Jardin des Tuileries; with the Louvre in the background.  Wearing black corduroy Burda 7863 jeans, a self drafted Tshirt (not seen), the grey fleece KwikSew 3667 hoodie (thank you Mary!), and my Vogue raspberry silk hessian jacket.  Oh, and hand knitted socks of course, not seen either.  Our last day in Paris  :(  but I am very glad to get home and see my children again.
And so that is that!  Thank you to all those who were kind enough to comment on my travelling wardrobe and I am looking forward to catching up with returning comments now...
We are now at home and I am tackling a mountain of washing, but I do have some wonderful new fabric and wool purchases to play with, as well as a holiday knitting project that I took away with me to do, and is finished and ready for showing off as soon as I can get my photography act together again; watch this space...  :)
Later dudes! or should that be, au revoir...?

30 comments:

  1. So nice to see your travel pictures, such smashing backgrounds for your (equally smashing) clothes!!
    I've really enjoyed your posts over the past weeks, it must have been quite a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Jardin du Luxembourg - that's a great shot you got there too! The light in that Pont Neuf shot is really beautiful. I hope you had fun on the river cruise and weren't too cold. It's still raining here, surprise, surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic photos, you look beautiful, relaxed and happy. Who wouldn't be in Paris? I can't wait to see your purchases. The first time I was in Paris there was a little shop around the corner from my hotel, selling just buttons! the windows were so pretty, but I was too timid to go in. The current me would be in there in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved seeing your travel photos and all the outfits you put together while on vacation. Glad you made it home safely to your children and that you had such a neat vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look lovely in every shot! What a wonderful holiday. Take your time getting over the jet lag and catching up with the washing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your travel photos! My parents just went to Paris last month. I told them I wanted them to bring me back some french lace but they said they couldn't find any fabric stores. Yet they were in Montmarte..... Hmmph! Haha, just kidding! They did bring me back a beret. They are great at all the super touristy stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've so enjoyed your travelogue & pics :) I really love the lace skirt/red shawl outfit - even with the trench coat!

    And welcome home; it's always a mixture of feelings to finish a wonderful journal, and be back in comfortable familiarity, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great photos! I´m sure you had the best of times during your holiday, and Paris is such an amazing place to visit! Looking forward to seeing what you make with the fabric and yarn you bought. Must have been great to meet Donna! You are so right: high heels always come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always show such fabulous pictures that your blog is a joy to look at.
    I hope you enjoyed the trip as much as I have enjoyed your reports. Don't rush the laundry - it will wait for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carolyn, thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us. Gorgeous Paris pictures!! I'm glad the KS pattern worked for you-it does look comfy in the picture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful pictures! I enjoyed the armchair travelogue immensely. Your travel wardrobe is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had a wonderful time! I have really enjoyed seeing your travel photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you back, I've missed the daily blogs.
    We Aussies usually don't realise that European summers are generally not like ours and we need to pack stuff that keeps us warm!!!
    Looks like you had a fabulous holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you had a lovely time. You seem to have had just the right blend of clothing to see you through your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading about your travels. I loved how you mixed and matched your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another one chiming in to say "Thanks!"...for sharing this trip! Love your travel wardrobe! Love your backdrops!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a huge pleasure to see your travel photos combined with your outfits. What a wonderful trip and I look forward to seeing what you do with your new acquisitions!

    By the way, I was always told my grandfather was from Como. That's all I know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for taking me in your suitcase to France & Italy, and letting me peek out every now and then at the wonderful scenery, which is you in your beautiful creations of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you're almost as tall as the Eiffel Tower!! Beautiful shots, and its so much fun to see your gorgeous clothes against a non-aus background.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you are home safely, and had a lovely time. Great to see how you put your clothes together; and it is encouraging to me to keep trying making things and being creative. So thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so impressed with your Eiffel Tower gorilla tripod photo! And the skirt you wore for the conference dinner/cruise is so feminine and edgy. I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Am loving your "holiday" pics! Paris is a great city, but I think I should have warned you before you left... Europe in May is not like Perth in September and most likely not as warm as Perth in July :-) Just hope if you're going further north you've got your thermals :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great travel pics. Love the white lacy layered skirt. Paris is supposed to be a city of great fashion, but I suspect you showed them a thing or two (or 50) about how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome back!I'm so glad you had a fabulous trip. Your pictures are lovely, and you are positively glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. sigh - back to real life. Please let me know the fabric shops - my husband and middle DD are off to France next week and I can drop some subtle hints . Glad you made it safe and sound too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are wonderful pictures and your wardrobe is so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely adore that lace skirt. Any chance of a closer look or a tutorial?
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love seeing all your pics from the trip, Carolyn! I'm travelling vicariously through your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love seeing your travel pictures and how interesting to see you dress with your limited travel wardrobe. Lots of go-well-together neutrals, right? :) The lace dress looks gorgeous and I think my second favorite piece is the hoodie, it looks so comfy! Looks like you had a good time travelling!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahh I'm jealous. I've only been to Paris once but I really miss it. It's such a beautiful and unique place.
    I love that so many of your outfits are completely made by you. Like not just one of two items, but the entire outfits. That's really inspirational to me, as silly as it sounds. But I really hope to have enough handmade things to do that one day. (Which means I probably should start working on some pants and jackets. ha I tend to gravitate toward dresses and blouses for some reason).
    It's weird for me to imagine it being cold there because when I was there it was SO hot. Like it was kind of awful, but I'm glad your cute tights came in handy. It's always the worst when you pack things that you don't need and end up lugging them everywhere for no reason. Tights wouldn't be bad because they're not heavy or bulky but still, it's the idea of the thing. :)

    ReplyDelete