Saturday, June 9, 2012

Gadding about

4 June
Here I am about to pay a visit to my pal George Clooney in Lake Como... just kidding, hehe. I don't know who lives in this beautiful villa in Varenna, Lake Como; but the white iron lacework gate is simply gorgeous, no?
Weatherwise, this was one of those difficult-to-dress-for, weirdly cold/hot days; freezing in the morning but quite hot by early afternoon. I am wearing a lace skirt of my own design based on Vogue 7303, Jo Sharp fitted cardigan knitted by me in Jo Sharp chocolate brown summer cotton, Burda 7834 blouse in crushed silk (just seen).

5 June
Burda 7723 shorts in hot pink linen, peekaboo/hoodie from Pattern Magic 3 in blue knit, and socks hand knitted in Noro yarn. A hot day with some medium-duty hiking from Pigra to Lenna in Lake Como, Italy

6 June
Self drafted and dyed Tshirt, Vogue 1247 skirt of red cotton velveteen ombré dyed brown, Burda beige cotton trench coat. A day in constant transit, with time spent in each of Lake Como (pleasantly warm), on a ferry (briskly windy), a train (cold), Milan (very hot) followed by another train (warm and stuffy). This combo coped pretty well!

7 June
Self drafted Tshirt, Vogue 1247 skirt of curtaining remnant, Vogue jacket of red hessian silk. A very wet day in .... guess where! I wasn't sure about whether these garments actually went together at first, but I ended up liking the outfit a lot!

8 June
Self drafted Tshirt, Burda 7863 black stretch cotton corduroy jeans, Burda beige cotton trench coat. Up until now I'd been wondering if it was a waste of luggage space to pack my wintery corduroy jeans, but Paris is cooooold! This fabulous twisty sculpture is in the Jardin des Tuileries.
Kbenco suggested a round up of my travel wardrobe when I get home, thank you for the fantastic suggestion Karen! I too am very interested in what other ladies choose to pack to take away for long overseas holidays and why; so I will do a summary post at the end of my trip. That is if I do not toss the whole lot out. Just kidding. Sort of. I admit to feeling a little jaded by my travel wardrobe now, a wee bit stifled by the limited selection; and I am really looking forward to getting back to some of my other of my clothes and particularly some other shoes!

26 comments:

  1. A feast for the eyes, Carolyn, in every way!

    My grandfather was from Como. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, Carolyn! I also made Vogue 1247 skirt and wore it in my recent mini trip. I love your travel wardrobe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice travel shots Carolyn, and I am with you on becoming bored by a limited selection. But, you always look pulled together and tidy...that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos Carolyn - it sounds like a wonderful holiday. You may be feeling a bit stifled by your limited wardrobe choices but you're still pulling together some great outfits. I love the curtain skirt - striped top - silk hessian jacket combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, i love the serendipity of the June 7 look and you have great backgrounds to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your photos, Carolyn, especially that gate and the Paris sculpture! I agree with Robyn, too: you may be getting tired of a limited mix, but you always look stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your travel shots! I hear you on the boring wardrobe though. I'm a minimal packer, which means essentially one color scheme. For a week, that's fine. For an extended trip.....not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your photos and outfits look fantastic. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic travel shots and love seeing all your wonderful creations mixed together during your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading your blog! I especially appreciate that you sew as well as knit parts of your wardrobe! I can't keep up! Love you travel diary also. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear, travellers are always slightly disadvantaged since they can't put their wardrobe onto wheels!

    I think you're doing very well and Australia very proud with your selection; especially since you yank around in two of the 'most difficult' countries over there concerning dress codes!

    Chin up and loving greets,
    Gerlinde

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking the time out of your trip to post photos. I do so enjoy seeing what you make/wear, and also the gorgeous and interesting places where your photos are taken. I hope you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not feeling stifled by your wonderful travel wardrobe 'cause you're travelling! Great pics as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I insist: despite the limitations you are still the most stylish traveller I´ve seen. Thank you for sharing those wonderful views with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Che bella ragazza! beautiful photos and my laugh for the day about George. I always find myself tired of my suitcase selections when I get home, but I have learned thru experience that bringing less to Europe = greater happiness, more room for purchases and a lighter suitcase. I save the cute dresses for my tropical resort vacations where I unpack once. Hope the rest of your trip is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your pictures! I hope you are having a great holiday despite the unpredictable weather.
    To be honest, the weather is a bit 'off' throughout Europe. Here in the Netherlands, we've had very warm weather in mid-May, followed now by alternating autumn-y cold and those strangely hot-cold days...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely pics, as always! It's fun to see your holiday photos, as well as your pretty clothes. What a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're doing an amazing job of putting together the outfits on your trip. Thank-you for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. June 11, 2012; 2.10 p.m.:

    Carolyn, please check on home-town and relatives!
    Perth had a - already the the second in a week - hefty Stormband wandering through and caused quite some havoc over there. No. 3 expected tonight/tomorrow.
    Can't find an email-address of yours here for behind the curtain info - hence this way.

    Sorry to worry you; yet: since quite some lost power over there (very likely for even up to one week!) you might not be able to reach relatives, after their mobiles ran flat - hence you might worry even more if you get this info of mine later via other sources and the power outing advanced already further.

    Let me know if assistance of some kind can be done from here (Melbourne).

    Love,
    Gerlinde

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gerlinde; thank you so much for your concern, and not to worry I am in daily contact with my family at home, I've heard about the storms and fortunately all is well with our family. Thank you! You are kind!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ... no, only worried sick since I know 'our country'! ;-)
    Sun blessed and windswept and and and - in short everything the poem 'My country' by Dorothea Mckellar
    says and just occasional 'in too much abundance'! ;-)

    Glad to hear the good news about your family; I'll hope the best for the next load coming as well.


    LG, Gerlinde
    with thanks for return-info

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely outfits (especially the white skirt! I think I need to make one like that this summer) and how cool that you colour-coordinated some of the backgrounds! :) I'm enjoying seeing the photos from your trip! Ah, Italy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great clothes, every day! Love the white lacy gate!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful outfits and gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great posting It’s exactly what I was looking for. I like your article.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Paris! <3
    I just came across your blog and I love it :)
    great pictures!!
    xoxo

    stylebycelia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete