Thursday, April 26, 2012

Yoshiki Hishinuma top; more details...

...in response to comments, and thank you for your interest!
Barbara wished to see the Yoshiki Hishinuma top on, so here it is.  It doesn't really go perfectly with this skirt .. back in the day when I used to wear it regularly I had a sorta funky, long-ish, deep-grey patchwork skirt that suited it to a T! but I do not have that skirt any more  :(  Anyhow, the shirt is now so fragile; even wearing it for the short while in which I took this photo more little flakes of the paint detached themselves and appeared on my skirt and on the floor, so this will have to be its last outing!
Beryl expressed an interest in seeing the inside of the shirt; so here it is.  There's not much to see on the inside, actually... the outside is the interesting bit  Basically it looks like an un-ironed shirt!
If I ever get around to having a go at reproducing this garment painting technique I will be sure to take a few pics.
A few wondered how the fabric feels to the touch; the chiffon is very slightly on the thick and stiff side.  It is 100% polyester, and the heat treatment applied to obtain pleating has most likely denatured the fibre and taken away some of the natural floatiness usually associated with chiffon.  The painted sections are stiffer, natch.


And in response to some recent comments about my photos:
Jen S wondered who do I get to do my photo shoots; no one!  Unless stated otherwise all the photos on my blog here are taken by me; the ones of me wearing my creations are taken using a tripod and a remote control. 
Andrea commented, "What would the neighbours think (about your blog photos)?" well the answer is that my neighbours do not see that I go around taking my own photo...  I plan to keep it that way!  I am really very shy, and I wouldn't dream of even taking out my camera if there was somebody around watching.  I generally find a secluded spot or as close to deserted as possible, and set up out of anyone's sight.  If another person pops into view I sit quietly fiddling with my camera and wait until I'm alone again.  There have been only a couple of occasions during the last two years in which I have been approached; generally older men who are keen on photography and want to check out my camera and talk "shop".  I am always polite; I pretended to be experimenting with how to use my camera, taking photos of the view or something, but I'm secretly relieved when they walk on and I can get back to my slightly embarrassing hobby of taking photos of myself out in the big wide world...  ;)   
I read a really good line on a fashion blog once about what to say if you are challenged taking photos of yourself; "I'm doing an assignment".  Sadly I think I'm too old to get away with that one!  But "learning how to use my camera" works pretty good.  And happens to be true as well.... I am still learning how to use my camera!


Details:
Top; Yoshiki Hishinuma, polyester chiffon painted with acrylic paint, bought second hand
Skirt; Vogue 1170, PU laminate, details and my review of this pattern here
Sandals; akiel, from an op shop

17 comments:

  1. wow I love that top, you definitely should give the technique a try. (easy for me to tell you to put another project on your list, right?) the skirt shape is a great compliment to it. Yesterday I was sorting through my old pattern boxes and thought of you - lots of Vogues that were my favorites back in the day. Some may get new life this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks even better on and just super with that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like that line - learning to use my camera! (I've Me-Made-May coming on, and must practice taking photos of myself. I've promised that I'd do it with enthusiasm, so I need all the help I can get!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is just lovely - I like very much japanese design, and as far as I know, they like Nordic design :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the inside picture. It shows that none of that paint bled through to the other side, so if you stitched those random pleats down on the inside, it shouldn't mess up the smooth paint on the outside. It wouldn't be as perfect, but could be done at home. A very fine silk thread would be almost invisible. Fun to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was really nice to see on you, it is an incredibly cool blouse. Any ideas how to go about the creasing portion of the process? I think the paint would be pretty simple, some Jacquard Textile paint and a roller.

    Since you aren't going to wear the blouse again, why don't you get it framed in a shadowbox for your sewing atelier or walk in closet or dressing room? It would be lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for that line. Mind if I use it? Did you try to take pics without using the remote? I bought a tripod a while ago, but is no use as I have to focus on a tree and then stand close to it otherwhise I´m out of focus every single time. All right, I´m learning to use my camara...So true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wardrobe must be the size of my house :)
    Fantastic top you're wearing

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blouse looks even more fantastic on you! I really love your taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome, and I like it with your new skirt! Do you remember the permanently pleated tops around the mid nineties, this reminds me of those a lot, but the paint on yours adds an extra dimension. The fabric was gathered/shirred into a pattern, heat set, then the threads removed to produce an interesting textured fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I can see why this shirt is great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that you modeled this for us...and I actually think it works well with the new skirt. I'm still pondering though how the paint is applied.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning, Carolyn! You wear that so well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a most interesting and lovely top. It really comes alive when worn. Ah.self potography. Most people would never understand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't really 'get' this shirt when you blogged about it before, but seeing it on you I can see why it's so special. I'll be amazed if you don't take up painting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I enjoy your blog. I'm a wanabe sewer. I can sew. I just don't have the motivation to get up and do it. I thought of you when I saw this Pinterest board and thought I'd share.

    http:// http://pinterest.com/zimbo/top/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I take most of my own too, and when I venture out of the back yard (fenced, as you've seen) I always worry if someone seems too interested.... I don't have a remote either so I'm always running back and forth with setting the timer ... so it is really obvious what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete