Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ultramarine corduroy skirt

Remember in my review of the Vogue 1170 skirt I mentioned I had already made a second version?  Well I finally got my act together and took some photos...
This ultramarine cotton corduroy caught my eye; (hardly surprising really  ;) ) and I just grabbed the bolt on a whim during Spotlight's 40% off sale.  I had a sudden urge to add a touch more blue to my life.  Part of my on-going campaign to maintain some colour in my wardrobe.  I cleaned out and re-assessed my wardrobe recently and realised I still didn't have very many fun and colourful options there.  I also realised I didn't have as many "bottoms" as I thought too, thus the appearance on my blog here of a little flock of new skirts recently.  
And, speaking of colour; just wait 'til you see my new jeans too... hola!!   I'm dying to show them off here ... soon... ;)
I made my skirt with a few minor adjustments to the pattern; I added lining, using the spliced pieces of Vogue 1247 as my pattern.   (I bought the acetate lining from Fabulous Fabrics, since the lining fabrics in Spotlight are the most hideous on the face of this earth....)
I overlocked all the raw edges inside; didn't go with the HongKong seaming this time because of the lining.  Plus it is just corduroy...
My pockets are approx 5cm deeper (each pocket piece cut approx 10cm longer).  I added 10cm in length to the lower skirt pieces, as I did on my first version.  Can you imagine how short this skirt would be without that extra length?  Yowza!!
As stipulated in the pattern, I hemmed the lower edge with a facing.  Since I had added 10cm in length to the skirt pieces, this made my facing pieces different from the pattern, but it was a simple process to use my new longer skirt pieces as the template for the facing.  I managed to cut the facing out of the leftovers from the shirt I made for Craig here; a perfect colour match! and just saying; it took some cutting and piecing magic to get those facing pieces cut out all along the correct grain from my scraps...!  I was chuffed that I got it out successfully!
The shaped facing method is a nice way to hem a long curved hemline; one that I have used a few times before off my own bat, but this is the first time I have seen for it to be a recommended method of hemming in a commercial pattern, with a pattern piece provided and all.  This is something I really like about the Vogue designer patterns; they often come with those nice little extra finishing touches to push you in the right direction; methods which are not the fast and simple methods that we have become accustomed to from modern commercial patterns.  Sometimes I wonder if the big pattern companies "dumb it down" for the home seamster; assuming he/she is not capable or willing to go the extra mile for those professional finishes, that interesting seaming, or an otherwise complex garment.  Vogue designer patterns are rarely guilty of flipping out quick, slap-it-together, do-it-the-easy-way patterns, and for that I loooove them!
(Please don't think me elitist here; I like the quick-and-easy patterns for basics too; but it is nice to have the option, y'know?  )
And; of course this is not what I am actually wearing today, not the heels nor the gloves!, but I just wanted to have a bit of fun with my photos.  You just have to mentally add the red carpet, the velvet ropes, the minder and the little dog in a bag.  I briefly considered having an actual dog but the reality is that she is way too big and hairy for any of my bags...  :D
This is one of those times when taking one's own photo turns out to be very useful... looking at this one above is when I noticed that that hem at the centre back seam inexplicably dipped in situ, something that was not apparent looking at it flat.  I've fixed this problem now, but didn't bother with setting up for a new photo... :D
The lovely stamped pewter buttons were kept from off an old shirt.


Conclusion; a casual version of this interesting skirt pattern, and a fun and colourful addition to my wardrobe!


Details:
Skirt; Vogue 1170 with minor modifications, ultramarine cotton corduroy, my review of this pattern here
Top; top "a" from the Japanese pattern book Unique Clothes Any Way You Like by Natsuno Hiraiwa, white cotton, details here
Shoes; Raymond Castles, had for yonks, nearly 30 years
Gloves; Vogue 7949, red cotton jersey, details and my review of this pattern here

37 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos and I love the addition of the car and the gloves. Wish that I had the seamstress eye and knowledge to repair the small problems I notice after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love your skirt. I have this pattern but have been stumped about what fabric to use. And I have a few concerns about the length.
    I've just finished Vogue 1247 - which you also made - and added a few centimetres to the length (just like you) and am madly in love with it. I call it my tardis skirt due to the massive front pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning colour and gorgeous shape! It reminds me a little of the shape of the Ginger skirt which is so popular in blog land at the moment. But maybe just a little bit more dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sexy! no offence ! i seriously mean it! Please take this as a compliment!

    and the photoshoot makes it look even more hot! those packets are to die for! everything so right about the skirt & the model ofcourse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this colour or you ! I also love how you styled these pictures, the pop of red totally makes it ! A seriously fabulous ensemble xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look amazing, I LOVE your skirt! So you're that kind of girl who can wear red gloves in the most natural way and look fabulous doing so :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning. Love the pics! Must have been a fun photo session ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new skirt - such a stunning colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a Diva, you look fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband really liked the first version and I really like this one. I think the color is great, too. I may have to pick the pattern up when Vogue patterns are on sale this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like both of your versions of this skirt very much.

    I have this pattern (I bought it for the top) but hadn't really noticed the skirt until I saw yours. Now I want one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this version. It's a great colour and style. Great photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blue is fabulous Carolyn! I didn't notice the great back detail of the skirt on your first version. Now I want one. And Vogue seems to be having a 3.99 sale... :)

    The red shoes and gloves are so chic for your photoshoot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning version. I cannot decided which one I like most !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this skirt, especially in corduroy. I've made this pattern twice already.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always loved this pattern but the length on the envelope has kept me away from it. It looks great with the added length. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a bright bold color! Love how you used the corduroy for the second version of this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great photoshoot and beautiful skirt (I love the color!)
    I so agree about Vogue patterns, lots of clever details.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This skirt has such a nice shape to it. I really like the high waist on you, and what a fun bold blue to add to the wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. O la la! Love the pop of color, love the back detail, and LOVE that car! Vroom vroom, this is hawt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I wanted to add... I can't WAIT to see your jeans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! I never had an affinity for blue, finding it too "cool". I've since made DD a skirt from this exact color corduroy, and it makes me happy every time she wears it, it's such a happy color. The back view is fabulous, and I love your photo setup. You ought to be on one of those car calendars!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked the top on this pattern when Allison C made it but didn't notice how nice the skirt is. And I love your version!
    Thanks for the heads up on the length (or lack of it).

    ReplyDelete
  24. heck with the skirt---I want that car! Kidding aside, the skirt is so boss.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looking fabulous! I´m seriously thinking about buying that pattern, both your skirts are so stylish! Love your gloves! I´ve never thought of making gloves... Waiting for the jeans!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that skirt - and I love the photo shoot with the car and the gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love both of your skirts! I had a frustrating moment with this skirt pattern a few years ago and you are inspiring me to pick it up again. I think the key difference is that you cut the facing from a fabric that has a softer hand than the skirt... thanks for posting the detail so that I could learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great photos and I love the colour but it did give me a wee giggle....I wonder what the neighbours were thinking!

    I now have this pattern in my collection and it is lovely to see it made up in two completely different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this skirt, like you mentioned in your first post on this skirt, the length on the envelope looks very unflattering, whereas this length is perfection. Good call on the length.
    I have a question, the length is a little short for my ever so slightly bowed legs, do you think it would look unbalanced just a little bit longer?

    PS-It looks so nice with your car, you really know how to accessorize!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the colour, it's fab! And pockets, I do like pockets in a skirt! Love the shoot too. A can't believe you made gloves - the whole outfit is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have such an elegant look! I love the colour, and the clean finish of your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Caroline! You look like you stepped off the sleeve of one of those Vogue Paris Originals with your matching gloves and shoes! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cute and it fits you super!

    ReplyDelete
  34. perfect mods! Electric blue is a perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That's one very cute skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The skirt is very nice.
    I love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete