Friday, April 27, 2012

Mum's silk kimono

With thoughts of self-stitched sleepwear ricochetting about my recent consciousness like a pingpong ball being batted about by a playful pussycat... as well as unique and beautifully artistic garments that delight and inspire us creative types....
This is a silk kimono made by my mother.  Anyone who has been reading my blog for a while might remember that my mother is highly accomplished at all forms of textile art and has made many many beautiful works of wearable art.  Her creations are truly something to aspire to!


This kimono has been hand-dyed! hand-woven! AND hand-stitched!  All by my talented Mum. 
Mum hand-dyed the skeins of ivory silk for the warp of the cloth in the ikat technique, in a divinely subtle rainbow of shades.  She then wove the silk on her loom, and then made the kimono from the resulting fabric.
Isn't it utterly beautiful?
The kimono was made in 1984.  I do have nebulous memories of its creation in our laundry, even now I can remember it as a labour of love, a project in which Mum aimed high and effortlessly achieved a remarkable outcome that still inspires my awe and admiration  :)


Mum does still wear it, but since it is not so much a throw-on thing so much as it is a unique work of art it has been well looked after and is of course in immaculate condition.  However, she did not wish to model it for my blog, so Cassie has stepped in.  But I can assure you that she looks just as beautiful wearing it as Cassie does here!

30 comments:

  1. That is breathtaking! I'm in awe. That's so cool that she was the dyer, the weaver and the seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing work! The dyeing is beautiful and just thinking on making all the proccess makes this garment special and unique. I have fallen in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! What an amazing, talented and creative soul your mum is. This is truly a work of art and a family heirloom to be sure. I hope someone has documented the process which can be kept with the garment for future generations.

    I say this because I have two similar things in my procession from one of my grandmothers and one of my great-great grandmothers. Having the history documented helps keep the details alive, factual and correct through the generations. Nothing is lost is translation. There are also photos of each of these women. Very precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just utterly amazing and beautiful. words do not do justice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mum is very talented. This is a beautiful piece of work and definitely an heirloom piece. I see where you get your talent and eye for art from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in total awe. Now that is truly making something from scratch. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This. is. beautiful. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this. It's gorgeous and inspiring. Making my own ikat is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. DEAR LORD. That is INCREDIBLE. Your mom is amazing. Please tell her I said so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say is wow. Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful. Your mom is incredibly talented. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carolyn, that is so beautiful and what a legacy your mother has given you. She not only is talented but committed to long term projects. That is surely where you learned to tackle difficult techniques and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awe-inspiring. You both seem to be drawn to crafts that are timeless and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's just beautiful - your mum is a truly talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colors in it are so subtle--almost dreamlike. And I am so very impressed that she wove the silk herself. Perhaps since she won't model it...she would write a guest post describing that process. It is very, very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't even begin to imagine the effort and time that must have gone into dyeing and weaving that fabric. It is a truly incredible piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super pretty! Reminds me of some of the things my Grandmother use to make for us as kids to wear over our bathing suits.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, your Mum amazes me. I still remember the vest that you blogged about a while ago. Hopefully your dd is inspired to continue the tradition of talent and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing garment. She must have been pretty confident in her skills to have done all that. I can't imagine what something like that would cost...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! That is an awesome robe made even more awesome because the fabric was made by your Mother!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow, your mom is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Carolyn,

    I know this was posted eons ago, but I am super impressed. Your mother is very talented. I can't image making silk cloth in addition to constructing the garment. It is really beautiful. Give her a shout out for me.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete