Friday, February 10, 2012

Fashionary

Thank you for those compliments on my sketch in the previous post; but I have to own up right now that I'm not really much of an artist...  I cheated!  :)
My "artistry" is all thanks to the Fashionary....
I first heard of the Fashionary about two years ago and immediately got one for myself and one for Cassie that Christmas (and posted about here).  I bought them here; and if you click on that link you can see how other truly artistic people are producing absolutely beautiful fashion drawings like mini works of art in their Fashionarys, compared to my very basic sketches depicting my prosaic little sewing plans in a practical manner without frills nor spills.  That is pretty much why I do not usually post my pictures of my own rather ordinary sketches up here....
But I still use it to mock up most of my ideas before they get made, and I looove to play with it!
Why?
well first and foremost, it is fun!  It's like being in kindergarten all over again, except in a grown-up and (ahem) acceptably adult format....  It caters to that wannabe fashion designer inside of me, yet dispenses with that pesky requirement to have any actual drawing talent...  
Since it is so easy!  Just like doing dot-to-dot drawings when you were a teeny kiddy...
Most of the notebook comprises pages of these templates of figures; 3 to each single page.  You can get a female one or a male one.  They are drawn in with very faint red dots; like so...
and since I realise they are very faintly drawn in and you might not be able to see them very well, I have pencilled one in to show it off better...
When a new sewing plan or outfit or something starts to transpire in my head, or maybe if I am toying with ideas, then it is sketching time, and even better; colouring-in time...
Here's one I prepared earlier  :)  (it's unrecognisable, but the one on the left is supposed to be my Sunset maxi-dress, lol!)
And a hint of autumnal things to come  ;)
Cassie, a far more well-organised person than her mother, also keeps samples of the fabrics along with her sketches, and actually remembers to take it shopping with her.  This is an excellent idea that I really must adopt too... would take the guesswork out of thread and button matching...
I find my Fashionary useful to keep me on the straight and narrow, to keep me to my fabric and sewing "promises" to myself if you like.  The act of drawing up my design sort of commits me to it.  Like, there it is all drawn up and coloured in, now I have to make it happen!
Once I've completed sewing the garment I put a little tick beside it, thus satisfying my list-keeping-and-ticking-things-off tendencies.
And, did I mention it is fun?

23 comments:

  1. What a cool tool! I did notice your amazing sketch but just assumed you had drawn it from scratch. It would not surprise me one bit. But thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tool! And despite what you say I think your sketches are fabulous. Far better than anything I can draw. I never got past kindergarten stick figures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're not doing your drawing skills justice. That is recognisably your hair and the shape of your face in the sketches. Hair is so difficult to get right.

    I must start sketching again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome - what a great idea! And I think your drawing skills are fantastic. I cringe every time my toddler wants me to draw her something. Eeek - Daddy is the artist! The idea of sketching clothes... and hair... and even my body type is just beyond me. Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, the 'autumnal' hint looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see that one done. That's a very good idea to put the fabric swatches in the book. I always end up with little clippings in my purse and then can't find them once I'm at the store. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been following your blog very long, so I assumed you drew cool clothes as well as sewing them. You have burst my bubble, you can't do everything? The shock the horror.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn, you are so wrong about your sketching skills! You're able to show your ideas, and I can totally see the connection between the sketch and the "real thing".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sketches are to show idea, right? I think 'cheating' like this is perfectly allowed.
    I sometimes scan my very rough sketches for my blog but my nice tech drawings are done in Illustrator, using a croqui.

    Please show your sketches more often, I think it's always fun to see how the 'flat' idea ends up looking in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like fun to play with, I wouldn't call it cheating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe it is cheating but isn't sewing from a pattern cheating as well?

    I must admit I am not nearly as organised. I sew on a whim with no real plan at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That does look wonderfully fun. I didn't even know such a thing existed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've run into this Fashionary thing somewhere else and was sorely tempted. What you say about lists and ticking off and being accountable - sounds like precisely the words I would need to mumble to myself to justify buying one! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your drawings are great! I love how you've illustrated the Pattern Magic one, it really gets the concept across - you're not an amateur at all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need one of these gizmos! Here's crossing my fingers that they aren't too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This doesn't have anything to do with the post but I just wanted to say thank you for your wonderful blog. It has inspired me to spend more time finishing my projects and as a result I am happier with them and wear them more. I have just finished a linen dress with bias bound seams and it turned out so nnicely. Also thanks for your hints in making the burda jeans too. I have used them to make some 7/8 pants and they turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it, thanks for the tip - I will get one for myself and one for a friend for her Bday :) Your drawings are really nice, enjoyed the post a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! I definitely need one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry Carolyn,
    My limited skills in english must have produced some misunderstood. In portuguese, judeu (jew) can mean the religion but, also, the nation and its people. I was thinking about origins and no religion at all!!!

    I'm also a christian, but I know that some of my ancesters were jews. In Portugal the jews were persecuted and had to change theirs names, so they choosed names from the nature (trees, animals...). I'm Oliveira (the tree that gave the olives)... so I know that in a past historic moment a part of my family came from the jews (the people).

    Here, in Brazil, is very rare to find someone with a red hair like you and, when you meet someone, it's a jew descendent. That's the reason of my question, to know a little more about you.
    But as Christians, we use to love and follow a Jew (in all means), Jesus Christ, our Lord.
    Kisses, and don't be angry with me, a poorest english speaker of the world.
    I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reading again: misunderstanding... would be more correct, doesn't it?
    Pardon me! Please!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, how cool. Thanks for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These guys rock- I used their template for my yourstylerocks.com entry and I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both sketches and digital templates help the busy scrapbooker to complete layouts quicker and easier than starting from scratch but still allow the element of creativity in the process that all scrapbookers seek.

    ReplyDelete