Monday, January 23, 2012

My darling Clementine

I have made a new top! 
A nice floaty loose top perfect for our fiercely hot summer days.  And we've sure had a few stiflers lately  :S so I will be wearing it immediatemente.
I used Rowan shot cotton... again.  This colour is Clementine (and please note I am wearing it with my little lime-print skirt, hehe! gettit?)
I am so addicted to this fabric!  It is gorgeously light, an almost not-even-there type of fabric.  Which is great for this particular pattern.  Why?  Well, the pattern specifies French seams throughout, and has a number of convergent seams.  Like where there are pleats on both front and back, joining together at the shoulder seam, and particularly! that centre front bit, where there are six French seams all converging to a single point in a star-shape, and themselves all being joined in a final French seam too... if your fabric was even a little bit bulky I would class this a quite a tricky area to get looking nice, and particularly situated where it is, right boom in the centre front of your top it pretty much has to be perfect!  Luckily this shot cotton is so marvellously light it wasn't too horrible a job, and I think I got it looking quite neat and tidy.
Of course you don't have to do the French seams here if you wanted to make life easier for yourself... which I stubbornly do not  ;)
I used a newbie-to-me pattern Vogue 1247.  This was a Christmas present from Sam; but I'm still adding the cost of it to my little 2012 personal-clothing-expenditure ledger, since in reality I chose, sourced and bought it myself!! and he just "gave" it to me.  We are very practical when it comes to present-giving in our family...
This pattern is classed as Average; a rating which was a little head-scratching to me.  I guess maybe the instructions for finishing throughout with all French seams made them decide to up the difficulty rating a notch, since I can't really think of any other feature that could make this pattern anything other than a very easy project easy imo!
The neckline is finished with a narrow self bias strip...  Noice, no? at right; that convergence of French seams from the inside view
I really like the bias-cut facings, folded out over those kimono sleeves....
Narrow hem...
Since the neckline is quite wide I slip-stitched lingerie holders to the shoulder seams to keep those straps outasight, these were a gift from the very lovely Yoshimi... thank you so  much Yoshimi!
Probably this top would be far more fabudabulous on a lady with.. er, more fabudabulous assets, but I'm still pretty happy with how it looks on me.  I am planning to make the little skirt too, and will review that separately.
Ciao, bambini!


Details:
Top; Vogue 1247, shot cotton in Clementine, from here
Skirt; Vogue 7303 modified, lime print cotton
Sandals; anna, from MarieClaire shoes
And that colour?  See below the happy marriage of a light pumpkin warp juxtaposed against a truly neon orange weft; giving rise to that beautifully citrus-y iridescence..



Pattern Description:
Very loose-fitting top; wide V-neckline, kimono sleeves with fold-back facings, the body of the top falling softly from shoulder pleats, interesting geometric seaming on the front creating a nice textural feature.
Pattern Sizing:
6-12, I made a straight 10 (Later edit in response to a comment: this is my usual choice, and I would say the sizing runs true to other Vogue patterns I have made up.  It is supposed to be a loose-fitting top!)
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you had finished  sewing it?
Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really like the very loose and unstructured shape of this top, and the fact that it will be delightfully floaty and cool for our scorching summers.  It's pretty easy to make up.  And one just slips it on over one's head with no closure, making it soft and simple to wear.   The interesting reverse-situation of the bust darts and the convergent seams at the centre front are nice subtle design features, and best showcased in a plain solid-coloured fabric imo.
And since I did choose a plain solid-coloured fabric with no nap this also meant I could lay the pattern pieces down either side up, allowing a far more efficient pattern layout and leaving myself with plenty of leftovers!
Fabric Used:
Lightweight shot cotton
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
No alterations.  I added lingerie holders at the shoulder seams; that very wide neckline means strap exposure would be a given otherwise!
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will like to sew this again  (I always say this and then it could be years before I do! however I would like a few more of these in my wardrobe, if not right this minute then certainly in another colour in another season.  
My only advice is that if you are going down the path of French seams throughout as recommended in the pattern, then a thin and lightweight fabric is essential; all those French seams converging together are quite bulky on the inside, and would be difficult to get nice and neat in anything thick.  Of course you could always leave off the French seam finish on that horizontal central seam if your fabric was not co-operating...
Would I recommend this to others? yes!
 Conclusion:
I love it!  The design of this top strikes me as very fashion-forward.  Something about the spare minimalism of the silhouette, the sharp lines of that geometric seaming, the beautifully drape-y kimono shape.  I could imagine this particular top design on a high fashion catwalk.

35 comments:

  1. What a fun pattern! I love all the details. And the color is gorgeous! Good job on all the french seams, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! The solid colour really shows off the lines of the pattern. The inside looks as good as the outside too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Perfect as you say for our hot Aussie summer days.

    Btw in your first photo, the background with the blue sky and green grass reminds me of Teletubbies, Teletubbies....Did your kids watch this as much as mine when they were little? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wear this top well and the French seams and lingerie straps bring elegance to your garment! I love it.
    Question - I'm 5'2" (157 cm? ) and wonder if the length runs long and whether or not you find it bulky.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wear this top well and the French seams and lingerie straps bring elegance to your garment! I love it.
    Question - I'm 5'2" (157 cm? ) and wonder if the length runs long and whether or not you find it bulky.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, gorgeous! I love those shot cottons, especially this orange one. I also really like the seaming on the front of this blouse. I remember looking at that pattern in the store but I don't think I noticed all that detail before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this pattern, especially in a solid, the detail just pop. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, 6 French seams coming together at once! It's an unusual pattern; I like it. The fabric is particularly pleasing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sewing is absolutely lovely on this top. Of course, the top is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely style. I bet it could be morphed into a great summer dress too. The orange really pops in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you!
    Goodbye Valentino; the Rowan shot cotton I used is quite lightweight, and so it's not bulky at all; on the contrary! Very loose and flow-y... and I would recommend lightweight fabrics for this pattern. The length feels OK to me (I'm 172cm) however you could always lop a little bit off the hemline if you did find it a bit too long...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just bought that pattern on Friday! Thanks for the heads up about making it in a light fabric. I love the fabric you used, and the inside looks perfect. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh,I love it! It would be perfect for our summers too.It barely touches your skin so it offers coolness, but enough coverage to protect you from the sun. The colour is lovely and suits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm familiar with this fabric, which is sold as quilting fabric, I'm glad to see that it makes such a nice garment since it comes in such gorgeous colors. I have this pattern too, I love the top and skirt. Looking forward to your version of the skirt.

    Cute top in a gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like your summery citrus-colored outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you use interesting details like that star-shaped seam to liven up ordinary garments! Also, you remain the queen of seam finishings. :) It looks lovely, especially paired with the lime skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Your outdoor photos make me jealous of the gorgeous weather.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great, great version of v1247. looks comfy and stylish in those bold colors!

    puu

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love the simplicity of it. Then when you look closer there are some really interesting design details, beautifully executed, as one would expect! And don't you look fresh and cool, as if the heat was not wilting you in the least!

    WE do practical present giving in our house too. Which results in me not having a present to give Kevin on special occasions unless it is handmade. sigh. He usually has already bought it for himself. I like to give him the link and special instructions, so at least he can buy it for me. I love giving presents so sometimes I am frustrated by this, but I know next to nothing about tools or other manly things that interest him...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wouldn't have looked twice at this pattern, as the print on the cover really doesn't do it justice. I love the fabric you have chosen but could see it in a cool summer blue as well. That skirt on the pattern also looks like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this in a plain fabric it really showcases the seam lines. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice indeed. You will love the skirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look absolutely pretty in the blouse. And thank you for letting me know that the small gift is actually helping you a bit. I'm really happy to hear that. The fabric seems so gorgeous from your writing, both color and texture. I think I'm going to try one of them, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's beautiful fabric and actually quite a complicated, detailed blouse I realized as you pointed out the features of it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carolyn, could you email me at toofunny2 at gmail dot com? thx!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the orange and lime combination. It's always been one of my favourites. Your top looks very summery.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's really lovely - I particularly like the seam lines on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful! I really like the colour, and it goes very well with your skirt

    ReplyDelete
  29. What else can I say than...perfect! I love the precision in your work. Thanks for the cotton tip, do you think it's suitable for these kaftan type shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a pretty and practical top for the hot weather. Beautifully constructed too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your version is so much prettier than the envelope's. The details are lost in a print, but are so nice in the shot cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  32. oooh, the colors! just enough of the 70s...

    btw, have you retouched your picture? the colors are just amazing, and I love how the skirt takes the colors of the grass!

    ReplyDelete