Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Hot pink shorts; 6 different ways

So, shorts, and particularly linen shorts are always going to be a warm weather thing and perhaps not an obvious candidate for "see how useful this item of clothing is!"....  But I am an Aussie after all, and typically lead a very relaxed and outdoorsy lifestyle that means shorts are an essential part of my wardrobe for just about half the year  (I wouldn't choose to wear shorts in winter personally, although I've seen a few magazines trying to sell the idea of shorts-with-tights look; that's just not for me, sorry...)  
And I do like to use these 6 different ways posts to showcase garments that have proven themselves runaway useful little wardrobe builders, and that I have grabbed and put on regularly, and have enjoyed wearing.  And these shorts that I made using Burda 7723 are sure fitting into this category.  
Ergo.  
So here are just a selection of the daily outfits that I have worn including my pink shorts lately, each photo taken on each of the days that I wore them... and I've given a few thoughts on my styling choice and how I felt wearing each of these outfits on the day...
At left; I just wanted to try this one because this is the jacket designed to match these shorts in the very same pattern.  I felt a little oddly formal wearing this out and about, although I absolutely loved these colours together (reminded me of Frenchy's fab outfit with the pink hair in Beauty School Dropout, Grease)  But maybe jacket-and-shorts together is not strictly "me"?  At right; with a chambray shirt, sleeves casually rolled up?  Definitely "me"!  A gardening and sewing day, bliss.
At left; felt quite fashion-y and rather dressed up in this outfit, even though it is actually just a linen shirt buttoned up and tucked in... I received a few compliments!  Worn out meeting up with some gal pals... At right; with my little white linen Pattern magic top.  Wore this out and about, walking the dog and running errands, and it felt like a perfect match.  Will wear this one over and over again...
At left; with a little coffee-coloured, triple-collared shirt, and a light cardi (to avoid sunburn)  I thought this cardigan would be a good colour match but was interested that it made my shorts look purple!   Loved wearing this, it was a great outfit for a cooler day, and I do prefer a cardi-with-shorts look...  At right; with a pale chartreuse loose linen top and matching scarf.  I really like the colour wheel opposites here, and the fact that the greens are so pale against the vividness of that pink peeking out underneath. And that it's so comfy and cool...
I've been pleasantly surprised at how this rather in-your-face, look-at-me colour has settled happily into my almost pink-less wardrobe, and how much I have enjoyed them... years of avoiding hot pink because of some misguided fear that it would mark me as "not serious";  I think I've relaxed a bit!  So, which one of these outfits would be the most "you", do you think?  
(And fyi, the outfit I am wearing today is the last one with the pale chartreuse top and scarf.)

27 comments:

  1. Very nice shorts, and great outfits. I think my favorite is the shorts with the pale chartreuse top & scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favorite of all these looks would be the one with the white linen top...I would wear that one over and over again. Had never realized before how shorts could be dressed up. And had never considered a cardigan with them. Must remember that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's is my favourite - looks so comfortable and potential breeze catching. I've been living in a pair of rtw brown linen shorts lately but should make some to get the fit right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All very cute. I like the second and last looks best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy these posts. Definitely a great wardrobe essential for our Aussie lifestyle. My favourite is the chambray shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all of the looks, favourite would be the first one (yes, impractical for me), and the most wearable for me would be a tie between #2 and 6. Aren't we glad we're Aussies...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my favorite is with the Pattern Magic top. Shorts are definitely a huge part of my wardrobe too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Carolyn you are so funny, it's not funny, it's light. Loved this today "a light cardi (to avoid sunburn)"
    - In my files you are Chica Perth :)
    - Spent many many hours some days ago trying to find this cardy you made and i loved, it is on your first post in march 2011. That white jewel which you say it's your personal design. It's lovely!!!!!. I love your blog, i love you post often, i love your creativity and sewing and posting courage... ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shorts, but never mind the shorts - FABULOUS LEGS! When I die and am reincarnated (!), I will be born into a body like yours instead of my podgy little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you're having as much fun with your pink linen shorts as my sister Katherine is having with her bright green ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't post very often, but I have to say... your legs go on forever!!!

    Love the shorts, bright colours definitely seem to work in our kind of climate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't wear shorts, so none of these outfits are "me", but I like the 4th and 6th outfits best. And these shorts really do highlight your amazing legs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great pair of short! The colour really suits you and seems to go brilliantly with the rest of your wardrobe! I especially love the first two looks!
    www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've just proved that hot-pink shorts are a wardrobe essential! I like the first look best, but all are great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have certainly proved the versatility of pink shorts. All your combinations are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mother is a huge fan of pink, but specially in some shadows that I don't know how to name in english... something like salmon... "bois de rose"...
    I prefer RED!!!! I'm a little more stravagant !!?!!!
    But from your outfits I woud chose the last one (big breasts... large shirts...).
    Beijocas. (little kisses)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I expect that none of those looks is especially "me" - I have really short legs, so I usually avoid shorts. Ok, so I bought and wore some in Australia last year. To the beach. With a tank top. ;)
    I really like the chartreuse and pink combination! Also love the chambray shirt look!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the chambry shirt with sleeves rolled up and the pattern magic top with it the best, but no doubt you have endless options with all your neutrals and these shorts. Love how warm and summery you look! Its cold here now :-P

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could see myself in the chambray shirt teamed with those awesome, awesome shorts; very efforless! Although I have to say that all of the outfits succeed in two things: 1) they are all wonderful, and 2) they are making me crave warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ah, I just finished shoveling 5 inches of snow off the driveway, the steps leading up to the house and the back deck. And you taunt me with your pink shorts. Evil!

    I like the denim shirt and flip flop look for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd probably be most caught wearing something along the lines of your 2nd pose. I love your hot pink shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. your shorts look amazing and so do your legs!
    ---with love from 28F.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooooh, I think the one that is most "me" is the last one - I love gold sandals and whilst I would also normally hesitate to where something so pink it just works - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My favorite is #4 ... I love the yellow shoes and the crisp top!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your style Carolyn! So chic, cool and so natural.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great shorts. They look great. #4 is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You continue to amaze me Carolyn. These shorts are adorable. I love the bright, fun color and they fit you PERFECTLY. So cute. I'd honestly pay you to make me some of these, I love them.

    ReplyDelete