Sunday, January 15, 2012

Blue-collar crime

The charge; gratuitously making for myself the same shirt, a second time. Namely the Vogue 1248 triple collared shirt.  Well, how many collars does a girl really need?? (tsk tsk)
No plea entered, as the defendant is so clearly guilty as charged.
Sentenced; to wear it during a humid 37C day and attempt to look cool, calm and collected for a picture.
Verdict for that one; hmmm...  what do you think?
OK, I've made another loose 'n light little triple collared shirt.  Again??  And so soon after the last effort?  I seeeee.   Shouldn't you be starting on some of those (ahem) piles of other new patterns, awaiting your attention?
Well those three collars were just begging to be constructed in three different colours, no?  I was simply itching to give it a try... and after all that Christmas shirt-making I had just the right selection of leftover scraps to piece together what I envisioned would be a kinda cool look.  Not just tri-coloured collars, but a tri-colour shirt, like allover...
I really like this sort of patched look.  The blocks of various blues together reminds me of those refashioned denim jeans garments that you see; made of cutting up and re-patching together old blue denim jeans to give a mixed up patchwork of varying shades of indigo.   It also reminds me a little of another look I admired in Celine pre-fall 2011, below.  Still going with that refashioned denim jeans vibe;  I've topstitched all the seams in orange.
The shirt is all shot cotton, bought here.  The left front and right back are Sky, the leftovers from this shirt, and the darker blue sections are True Cobalt, the leftovers from this shirt.  The right front and left back are of a very pale blue named Ice; and technically speaking this might not qualify as a leftover scrap.  I bought this about two years ago with the original intention of making another shirt for Craig, but the very pale baby-blue colour did not find favour... so I have gradually been using it up bit by bit for facing, pocket and lining purposes in other projects, but so far it has not been used in any publicly viewed part of a garment!  I managed to cut the pieces for this shirt out of what is left after all that nibbling.  So, does that make it a leftover, or not??
This cotton is thicker and more robust than the thin voile I used for my first cafe latte version of this shirt pattern, so the collars do not sit as flat together.  But on the other hand, the snaps on those buttonbands feel a lot more secure, and less likely to rip the fabric.  Speaking of the buttonbands; I wanted the third blue fabric to feature here, so the four of them have been constructed as separate wraparound bands that sit up over the body of the shirt.  That took a bit of extra fiddling and measuring, but nothing drastically difficult.
(below right; from Celine pre-fall 2011, source)
All the seaming in the body of the shirt is flat-felled, and the raw edges of the armhole facings have HongKong finishing, using bias strips cut from the Ice shot cotton.


Details:
Shirt; Vogue 1248, different shades of shot cotton, in Ice, Sky and True Cobalt, my review of this pattern here
Skirt; Vogue 1248, cotton voile, my review of this pattern here
Thongs; ??  crappy blue and white rubber things nicked from my son's wardrobe.  I think he must have grown out of these years ago... 

44 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful. I love the skirt in this light cotton? and the huge pockets and the shirt is just wonderful, the three colors of blue in the shirt. It's beautiful inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color blocking. LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't like to wear collared shirts. But this...this takes it to a whole new level! Love it, and love the color blocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the way you have pieced the different colours together. I have been debating about this shirt pattern for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Astounding. I am in awe of your creativity. This has got to be the coolest shirt. Love the triple collar and the different shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing outfit! I am in awe.

    BTW, the ice blue most definitely qualifies as a leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fantastic Carolyn, what a great design!
    And all the while using up remnants - extra clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore this shirt, it's so beautiful and unique!! I wish I had one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn, it's gorgeous, it looks like just the thing for a hot summer day. The colour blocking is wonderful and the shirt looks beautiful inside too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Victor and Rolf! You are so creative. And I think it definitely counts as scraps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really cool! It makes the most of the triple collar detail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stunning! Can't quite state how much I adore this whole outfit. P.S your creativity with sewing is completely inspiring, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a big fan too Carolyn, your blue shirt rocks. In awe of your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It might be really hot where you are but you definitely look very cool in your beautiful blue shirt.
    I have just returned from Tasmania - mid January and only 16 - 20 degrees celsius - so cold !( I loved it and the temps by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! I loved the first incarnation and I think this one is even nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks so vibrant and fresh, particularly against the white. I really like the shape of this top around the shoulders. Very flattering. Great use of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a nifty shirt - the colour blocking is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great outfit! Don't know which I love more -- skirt or shirt. You look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Achei surpreendente essa camisa com o detalhe dos três colarinhos!!!
    Muito linda!

    ReplyDelete
  20. fantastic, love the colors and the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes! I was waiting on the three color collar version. I love this! And I love the three colors everywhere. You have such an eye for unique details.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This suits you so well. The architectual details of the blocked shirt along with that cloud of a skirt are perfect together. This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a cute shirt, I love the triple collar in different shades!
    www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOWSERS ! Im in awe. What a beautiful shirt - and great you managed to use up fabrics to make a whole garment. The colours are marvellous on you and can I just say that I have 'collar envy'. How do you do it ? STILL loving the shirt sleeve skirt - such a fabulous shape. Truly astounding ! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the three shades of blue and the triple colour is great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow - what creativity. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The skirt is amazing. Really made me regret not buying the pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning, perfection, jealousy are just a few words to describe how I feel about your outfit. One of the coolest looking shirts I have ever seen and of course I love the skirt too. Unfortunately those of us with short necks are out of luck with this pattern. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning style and colours. You will definitely be pardoned.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, lovely, lovely, lovely! And yes, you do look very cool, calm and collected. (Care to send some of that heat our way?)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved the first version, but the colors in this one are even more beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cool shirt! The triple collar is really fun.

    Also, to answer the question you left on my blog--the stuff I'm using for the waterproofing is called Seam Grip, by the brand McNett. (Tasia over at Sewaholic had a guest post sometime in the last month about waterproofing stuff, and the author had stated that this was the best.) I purchased it online through an outdoor gear store-- I don't know if you have REI in Australia, but they did also have it through Amazon.com. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it! Love the patchwork look and your work is impeccable. I used to have a similar patchwork shirt when I was in high school and I loved it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful! (no surprise there :-))

    By the way, I've recently finished combing through your complete archives and am now up to date (only took a couple of months ;-)). Your blog is so inspiring - better than magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really like it! So if I lived close I would be saying, can I be your hand me down person. I seem to love everything you make!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've been waiting patiently for you to show this Vogue pattern again because I just loved the first one, it was well worth the wait. I just LOVE it!! and I love your inspiration too. http://kazzthespazz.com/?p=1050
    I made this one too but I'm yet to conquer the skirt. Well done Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like the way those three shades of blue look together. And I would definitely classify that as scraps/leftovers.. its been used before!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. How could you not have another one of these very cool shirts? I just love this blue version. I must keep my eye out for a good deal on this pattern. Your versions are truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is such a cool shirt! I loved your first version - the triple collar and narrow shoulders truly make it an interesting shirt, but this colour-blocked version really bumps it into "extraordinary"!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the contast of the tailoring and structure of the top with the flounciness of the skirt. It looks so high fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  41. D Minor:. So you want to learn how to play the piano.
    Best Regards.

    My blog :: opm piano chords and lyrics
    My website - piano chords am f

    ReplyDelete