Saturday, December 24, 2011

A small silk surprise

I think it is safe to put this here since no one in my family is going to be reading my blog at this late stage in the game...
And if you are a family member reading this, then quickly; avert your eyes!  Now!  :D



There is to be one of those Christmas lucky-dips-with-a-strict-budget at the family gathering this year and I racked my brains to come up with a wearable something, both lovely and of high quality as well as handmade.  My gift had to be for a girl, and had to suit any one of a range of hair and skin colours; from beautifully grey, to a pale ash blond, to rich chocolate-y black, and to a true strawberry blond.  All divine hair colours on their individual heads, and for each of which I would rejoice in choosing just exactly the right colours, if only I knew which fair hand would be the one to pluck out my own little offering...
I spied this absolutely delicious silk chiffon at Fabulous Fabrics, and could buy just enough for a little scarf.  With its shades of warm pale pink, blue-y murky green, bronze and with just a little bit of black I reckon it is perfect.  It spoke to me a sense of dusky, pastel, subtle and yet warm and rich, all at the same time.  What a find!
Simply edged with a rolled hem in black.
And just because this picture below made me smile (seeing Sienna's furry face always does) and just because "finding the dog" is fun...!  can you spot her this time?


Details:
Scarf; silk chiffon (and don't worry, it was only worn for just these few pictures before being safely tucked away)
Dress; modified Simplicity 3745, pink lace and pink border lace, details here
Petticoat; Burda 8071, pink satin, details here
Sandals/thongs (new! a present to myself!); Misano from Marie Claire shoes
(impatiently) What?  Not more photos... let's go, already!

22 comments:

  1. That fabric is pretty special - I love the colour combination and lines! Any chance of a picture of it flat so I can admire it in full? Anyone who plucks this from the dip will be pleased, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lucky girl - whoever she is .
    Merry xmas to you and your family - hope your husband is not on call.
    Hope your son was happy with his exam results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scarf and it looks great with your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scarf really is beautiful! And I found the dog (after 10 minutes ...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree - beautiful scarf and what a gorgeous dress. At one stage I looked up the tree, then thought he's not a cat!! Yes, found "said dog".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your rolled hem is just so perfect
    :-) .I really need to try this stitch on my overlocker .I am actually scared of altering the setting on my overlocker lol !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found her!! I need to practice the rolled hem on my serger. You made a beautiful gift, everyone will be lucky to pick it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a lovely scarf! Any girl would be thrilled to be the lucky recipient! I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, and all stay safe and well. Enjoy your day and your lovely family!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carolyn, blogger is doing strange things with my account again, so my profile isn't showing. I just wanted to let you know the last comment was mine. Have a great day!
    Anne Maskell

    http://www.amaskellantics.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful scarf! I am sure he lucky recipient will be delighted. merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous scarf!
    Have a very happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found Sienna!!!!
    Feliz Natal! (Merry Christmas!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. very pretty scarf. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I am looking forward to more of your amazing creations in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely scarf! I am *still* looking for your dog. hmmmm..

    ps: thank you for the flat fell answer. I thought you would have had to put the sleeve in flat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beatifuk dress :)

    Glædelig Jul - Merry Xmas

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a very pretty scarf. Merry Christmas Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful scarf. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A gorgeous, original present. Sure to be loved by whoever is the recipient.
    A Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing you all a Mele Kalikimaka! The scarf is beautiful and I am sure will be very well received!

    ReplyDelete
  20. pretty scarf! must be a lucky girl!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful fabric! Your recipients are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete