Friday, December 30, 2011

Craig's shirt

The penultimate shirt, for now...  (and I am definitely thinking of something different to make for my boys next year!)
This particular shirt, another Burda 7767, was made using shot cotton in True Cobalt, and is a Christmas present for my husband.  I had just made for him a special (imo) new shirt for his birthday recently, but I ran up this other new one as well since I didn't want him to feel left out when the others were all opening their gifts of handmade clothing on Christmas morning.  However.  This is the sixth mens shirt I've made in the past six weeks, and you might imagine I was becoming just a tad shirted-out by the time I came around to this one...?  (if so, you imagined correctly) It was a struggle for me to get enthusiastic about finishing this last one to the standards (ahem) I've set myself and that my menfolk have become accustomed to...  :)
In fact it only had the very last little touches put to it just last night  :D
The warp of this fabric is a deep periwinkle and the weft is only a barely lighter blue, leading to an extremely subtle "shot" effect unfortunately.  Almost too indistinct...  in fact to be blunt I was quite disappointed with this fabric when it arrived.  I'm used to the Rowan shot cottons really wowing me with their iridescence, but the colour of this one seemed pretty flat to me when I received it.  The perils of internet shopping.
So, the fabric being very plain, the shirt really needed some interesting bits and bobs to lift it above the overly mundane.  Even though Craig does like his shirts plain-ish I still thought it needed a little bit of something...
There are added arrowhead shoulder tabs and cute little miniature arrowhead sleeve tabs.  
It also has weirdly funky diagonal pockets.  Hmmm.  They seemed like a good idea at the time.  I don't think he ever uses them much, anyway.

So! ...as mentioned above; this is my 6th shirt in as many weeks... but I have only posted five! Has all this crazy shirt-making made me see a double shirt somewhere, where there is but one?   Well, no.  I can still count....  so here's the story; I had practically finished another shirt originally intended for one of the boys' Christmas presents before I decided the fabric was just not right for any of them and put it aside, uncertain what to do with it.  And then inspiration struck and now that shirt is in the process of being adapted into something, just a little bit different, and for me... results to appear here sometime soon.
Watch this space...
Later dudes!!  (signing off feeling pretty lighthearted since I have finally finished with The Shirts)

20 comments:

  1. Ok you have tipped me over the edge! In a good way of course. :) I've enjoyed seeing all the shirts you've made for your men folk, and you have motivated me to sew a shirt for my husband. Thanks so much for the link to the fabric, as men's fabrics are soooo hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed the saga of the shirts and I'm looking forward to whatever it is you make for yourself from the surplus one. I'm intrigued!
    Not sure I'm motivated, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thatsalottashirts!!

    I am looking forward to seeing #6, adapted for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the perfect pieces you've done for your family lately- wishing you to enjoy many happy moments with them in the new year!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning colour and beautifully made yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always in awe of your creative output!


    BTW did you know there is now a FAbulous Fabrics in town?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great shirt! You make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have made wonderful shirts. I love all the tab details in this one and what a great color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boys (at least the bigger one) would be delighted to open a handmade shirt every holiday! I like the arrowhead sleeve tabs, at SOME point I will steal that idea from you. :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many shirts! That's almost "production sewing"! This blue looks spectacular. How do you keep motivated to keep coming up with all the new little details?

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I love the slanted quality to the pockets - I think they put the shirt into edgy cool territory (if you husband is not above that look)..

    I love internet fabric shopping because it's always such a mystery. I only buy vintage fabrics on line because our local fabric shop supply is excellent. Because people who sell vintage fabric on Trademe (NZ's answer to ebay) can be generalist second hand dealers or children cleaning out a deceased estate you never ever know what you are going to get. They will describe things as "liberty" and "silk" when they are neither because they have no idea. On the other hand, they will also sell something as "shiny and flowery" and it will be Liberty silk!

    It's the luck of the draw element that really pulls me in because you never know what you are going to get. And since I always auto-bid to my limit, I never pay too much for it so it doesn't matter.

    End of the day, isn't it exciting to get a parcel in the mail??? (along with all the bills...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the slanty pockets. Sometimes it is nice to sew with a very plain fabric so that you can try out more adventurous ideas. This is another excellent shirt, and 6 in a row is a huge effort. Lucky family.
    I quite like the mystery factor of internet shopping - provided the actual fabric quality meets up with the price - oddities like off grain prints and yuck fibres do nothing for me!
    I have a very loud and large stripe that was pretending to be a muted small stripe on the internet and was bought to make a husband shirt,so now it just has to be for me, how terrible ;).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pockets are a delight and so very cool. I too have had those internet fabric disappointments fortunately outweighed by many treasures along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The color of this fabric looks wonderful in the photo. I had been unaware that one COULD order fabric via the internet. Will wonders never cease.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE those pockets! And that fabric. And your shirt-making skills. Looking forward to #6! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm impressed with your half dozen shirts - men's shirts are one the more time consuming garments. Or maybe it seems so because they're pretty much all the same. I especially like your attention to the fine details, and the nice fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another wonderful shirt with great details. You have really inspired me to sew one for my husband "and" son lol.

    Happy New Year and all the very best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're definitely the queen of shirts - six in six weeks! I'd probably be out of my mind right now... I have a few shirts planned for my boyfriend for the new year. Never made one yet, but he's really hard to fit, long arms and torso but very narrow shoulders. He loves shirts, but they almost never fit right! So I guess I'll be nice and make him some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. buy valium roche 2mg valium vs xanax - valium used for anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  20. buy valium online xanax vs valium half life - where can i buy valium online uk

    ReplyDelete