Thursday, December 15, 2011

Blue bunches top; 6 different ways

I thought this little top, from p58 of "Pattern Magic 3" by Tomoko Nakamichi (seen first here), might be a versatile little thing from the very first, since I tried wearing it both frontwards and backwards and it looked equally OK both ways...  And then I started playing around with it and found that it could literally be worn in six different ways, and I don't just mean jamming it randomly into six different outfits!  although I did put together six different outfits too....  just because it is fun, y'know  :)


At left; the top worn in its intended form as it appears in the pattern book, that is with the round neck and ties (or "bunches" as I think of them) at the front, and the V-neck at the back...... And at right I am wearing it back-to-front and with the V-neck at the front and the ties hanging down at the back.  Oh, I know the details are covered up some in this picture but well I had to throw in just one slightly winter-y option into the mix!   And really I'm just trying to show how the top is all-seasonal, layering with light cardis during the cooler months too... (if you want to see this "way" fully and without a scarf and cardi over the top it is shown better here)
Also, the bits that form the "bunches" can be taken out and folded down against the body, and then the top can be tucked into a high-waisted garment.  This way it just looks like an ordinary little plain tank top.  I dunno if it is just me but I do think the round-neck at the front (at left) is a tad more dressy while the V-neck looks more casual.
Lastly, those "bunch bits" can be left loose and free, and the top takes on even more different and interesting shapes.   Again, I think the V-neck and the longer length at the front (on the right) is somehow a more casual look.
Interesting, huh?  Who would have thought that one little top could work in so many ways?
Oh, what am I wearing today?  I am wearing the fifth outfit; "all out" and with the round neck and shorter length at the front (just above, and on the left)  I reckon it looks pretty funky like this too...
Which "way" do you like the best?

16 comments:

  1. I agree the round neck is more 'elegant' and the v-neck more casual. I think I like views one and five the best, though all the others work as well. Have you heard of the DKNY Cozy Sweater

    http://www.dkny.com/women/shop-by-category/sweaters-and-cozies/

    It can supposedly be worn 12 different ways, not that I'm prepared to buy one for the offerred price, at least not without seeing one in the flesh, so to speak. Would be great to find a pattern for something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun piece. Before I read that you were wearing the fifth one today, I had already decided that I liked that one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a top that is a little bit different, it actually works a like a "basic" since it goes with so many different things. The cobalt blue is a lovely colour on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating! I also liked the 5th way best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely love the elegant round neckline. And you're right about the 5th look. It works well on you. Experimenting with styling is a good way to keep your clothes looking 'new'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it in the first outfit and what you are wearing today the best, just because you can see the design elements; but it is great that it can also take a more subdued part in other outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't say that I can pick a favourite. All ways look wonderful. Such a versatile little top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cool. you are taunting me with all your Pattern Magic accomplishments - when will I get to it? maybe in the new year. great color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW ! I love it with the Vogue 'shirt skirt' ! I think its great that when you sew your own clothes you take more of an interest in styling, and find out what really suits you. I think the colour is magic on you and the pattern is just divine xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, the colour is lovely on you! I like numbers 1 and 5 - at a glance you wouldn't guess they are the same top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like #3 and #5, it seems to pair well with white.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it all the ways, I so love your beautiful white skirt in the 3rd view that I'm favoring that one but of course the shirt is not fully showcased there :-) I am curious though, where did the sleaves come from in view 2, is there some way you can turn it upside down and have long sleeves? wow

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty Carolyn. I love it tied in front. The color is great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. one outfit = 6 looks, worth every penny isn't it!

    Thanks for participating in Vegan Leather Bag giveaway. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great top. I love number 3.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the 5th way - very pretty! I also like the first way a lot. :)
    Such a cool top!

    ReplyDelete