(Alec Baldwin at right, in not-so-dishy mode)I had a bit of a crush on Alec Baldwin way back then, and this apparition when it appeared in the movie was like a bucket of water over my girlish daydreams...
But the more I though about the Wearing a Triangle design, the more I started to think that it did have great potential to suit my style... if a few seams were left unstitched, and in a light flow-y fabric... hmmm, so I went and found some really light flow-y fabric. Fortunately for me, Fabulous Fabrics had this sheer, ultra-flowy, navy blue muslin-y stuff on their super cheapo bargain table... I bought quite a lot. Hangs head in shame at the utter failure to stash-bust there... "but it was so cheap", she wails unconvincingly. You might be seeing something else made out of this fabric, hehe... But this particular fabric was just the ticket. And I'm so happy with the result! This project may well turn out to be a surprise favourite from the book, so far the odds are good...
I love the long, pointy handkerchief hems, and the vaguely hoodie shape hinted at with the top point of the triangle. The drape-y, sharply A-line folds of lightweight billowy fabric are lovely and easy to wear, and I think quite flattering. The very light and loose nature of this garment makes it a perfect summer cover-up. I'm planning to wear this faux hoodie-of-sorts to the beach over shorts and over my wide-leg white linen pants on hot evenings. The lightness and looseness will keep it cool, while the long sleeves will keep me from getting sunburnt.
Top; the "Wearing a Triangle" design from Pattern Magic 2, by Tomoko Nakamichi, made of navy blue muslin
Camisole (underneath); Country Road
Shorts; Burda 7723 modified to be flat-fronted and flared, made of yellow embroidered cotton, details here
Thongs; Mountain Design
Dressmaking details (for diehards who are interested in the sewing nitty gritty)
The design was quite time-and-resource consuming to draft. This is because there are several stages... cutting the triangles of fabric and making up a sort of half-stage fabric muslin, and then cutting armholes and using that much fabric again to draft the pattern with sleeves. At this stage I was (uncharacteristically) not confident about the size so I went on to make a trial garment as well... I used up practically half an old sheet just on the drafting of the pattern stage. To my naturally very
The seams are sewed and overlocked to finish, the lower and neck edges overlocked and then folded in once and top-stitched. The sleeve ends were finished with a "lettuce-leaf" rolled hem on my overlocker, I really like this slightly romantic finish to a casual long sleeve.
The design calls for the lower hem to be stitched closed partway along each end of the bottom edge of the triangle; I left these parts unstitched, which to my eyes improves the design immensely. Ya, I know it doesn't look so much like a structural "triangle" now, but I'm very OK with that. And; final analysis, using up that half an old sheet on toile-ing was totally worth it!