Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hot (pink) pants

G’day, peops!
Remember when I mentioned a piece of hot pink linen that had befriended me in the fabric store and then beseeched me to give it a new home and some purpose in its life?  (ahem) Well I’ve done the right thing by this piece of lolly-bright fabric fabulousness and transformed it into something that I am already excited about wearing a tonne of times this summer!  A bomb of times!  A colour bomb!  A Barbie bomb!  Wait, I doubt if Barbie is considered very cool, or even PC anymore...?  so mebbe scratch that one…
I used Burda 7723, again; my go-to shorts pattern now.  Such a nicely tailored shorts pattern; with a slight flare enough to make them "cute", a wide high waistband that sits securely and firmly at one's true waist, and good sized pockets.  The last feature making it a definite win all by itself...  I also think this shape just really suits my style and my figure too, I think.  In the past I’ve altered this pattern slightly each time I've made it up; to make them more flared, flat-fronted and longer respectively, but this time I made it up just as is.   Oh, except for my usual modification; the addition of a zip placket.  Well, naturally why wouldn’t you put in a zip placket? uses hardly any fabric and you see them in even the cheapest and most badly made RTW shorts so it is completely beyond me why patterns continue to leave this minor, but telling little detail out.  I once did a sort of tutorial on how to add a zip placket to any fly-front pattern, here.
Now just to diverge for a sec into photography territory again, I know lots of other fashionable seamsters aren't interested in the slightest in photography; but I am.  So ...
I first thought of photographing this ensemble against a bright white wall, in the strong midday sunlight; thinking that the intense shades of cobalt blue and hot pink would stand up well to the lighting challenge.  But I was still a bit amazed at the incredibly deep shadows created... also I realised that you couldn't see the shorts properly with the tie thing-y in the front hanging over the front of the shorts.  So I tucked in the top, and moved over to a shady spot.  But the photos I took, even though they don't show the shorts very well, still intrigued me in an artistic sense so I decided to put one in here as well.  And btw; I do not photoshop or alter my photos apart from cropping.  This is how it is!  (although oftentimes I wish my face could always be in shadow like this...)
When you look at pictures of clothes, do you prefer realism; as in showing the dressmaking details as accurately as possible; or do you like to see a bit of artistry in the photography as well?  Me, I know I like a bit of both...  but I've said enough about that in the past so I won't repeat myself.
What aspect of fashion photography do you appreciate the most?

Details:
Top; blue "bunches", from Pattern Magic 3, of thin cobalt blue cotton jersey, details here
Shorts; Burda 7723, hot pink linen

30 comments:

  1. They are a great style for you, and I like the pop of bright pink. It's fun to wear bright colours in the super-saturated summer sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely hotties!! And the zip placket is always good - makes the front sit better for a start.
    I think your photos always look great, very clear - I wonder sometimes about some photos that are on blogs where the writers are semi-literate yet still manage to come up with photos that look like they got Annie Leibowitz in for the day. That must be Photoshop...
    All that started a rave here but I have moved it to being a blog entry (thank you!) (whew).
    You forgot to mention your footwear - take a look: "Shoes by Thongs". I hope you are putting sunscreen on all that exposed skin, my girl...
    Your beach is such a lovely background. I should start walking up the back to my bush for photos. It isn't really 'mine' either - is State Forest.
    I don't know yet if I have figured out my word verification free blog, yet. I do know you are set to 'noreply-comment' so I can't ever say "Thank you" for your comments...
    Hugs, Jas
    PS This word verification is 'ACHL'- makes me wish I had a port for a nightcap...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shorts, great colour and great legs!!!! Love that pink and the bright colours certainly have me thinking of summer.
    I haven't worn shorts in years - prefer to keep my very short, stumpy legs covered up instead of inflicting them on the world - but why did my 2 sisters end up being much taller and with longer legs than me??? I blame my parents!!
    I like the photography you are using to show your garments. I like photography where you can see the details. I also like the arty photography, but i still want to be able to see the clothing and details properly. I like and appreciate photography and as my husband is a photographer - i've got no choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to say "thankyou" for the comment you made the other day with regard to my daugter's dress. I was happy with way it turned out - but know where all the mistakes I made are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these tops are absolutely terrific! I think it is time for me to invest in this book!
    And enjoy this weather; it is absolutely gorgeous! makes me want to change hemisphere for the next months!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pink looks amazing with the blue. Re the photos...I like both sorts. I think you said recently that you don't like to post too many pictures of the same item, but I think as long as there's a point to each view, why not post several? I really enjoy your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are always great...they focus on the clothes and the backgrounds don't detract. I love the first shot as fashion photography, but the last shot against the white wall is just plain nice as a photo. As for those shorts, I love 'em! Yea for hot pink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your photos. A good photo can make or break an outfit. I still struggle with photos sometimes, and mine are al natural. I don't know how to photoshop. Mine are at best Microsoft Picture managed.

    Funny reading your shorts entry though, this is exactly what I have on my sewing table at the moment, although, not nearly as bright!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're fabulous! I've just finished some blue and white shorts and I wanted a hot pink top to go with them, what a cool coincidence :) Also I received my pattern today, thanks so much, it's wonderful and I can't wait to sew from it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this post and immediately thought of Keith McLeod and his "visual language". You've got your visual language off pretty fluently I would say - and it suits your style perfectly.

    I don't have time to get a beautiful photo and I wonder, if I had time, would I be able to get it? Probably not because beautiful is not my aesthetic. I admire it on others, but don't like it for myself.

    I find dorky photography to be endearing, I don't know why, but I do. Having said that, I do think it is very important to be able to see the garment! So at least the picture quality needs to be sufficient to be able to get a true idea of what is being shown.

    To me, finding an individual style and exploring that visually - through photos or garments - is the way to go.

    When I see people doing designer knock-offs I am quite perplexed - no matter what, don't we all need to be able to make things our own?

    Perhaps I value individual expression more than others, perhaps for others looking good is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color and cut are just beautiful, and they look great with the blue top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Could you change me where to live for the next six months?? It's starting to get cold here, I hate winter and love, love, love those pink shorts!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love brightly coloured shorts and yours look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shorts! Bright colours are definitely in this summer.

    As for photos, I like whatever you like. It's your blog, which I love to read, so do what pleases you and I'll keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The colour of these of great for summer. I LOVE bright colours. The cut and style are perfect for your body type. I could never do the high waisted thing as my hips are too wide, but it really works for you. I like both styles of photography. Obviously the first one is a must as this is essentially a sewing blog and we need to see all the details. The last one is a great shot though and definitely worth sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your blogging style and your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You'll get so much wear out of those shorts, they're a great style and bright colours are very 'in' at the moment aren't they.

    I hope you and your family are safe - I've been watching the fires on the news and wasn't sure how close they are to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very few women over 40 can successful carry off shorts...and pink ones to boot. Caro you are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shorts. They look fab on you and you do take the best pics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look wonderful! i love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  21. color bomb for sure! but it rocks!

    Fly front zip, oh, it is kind of my Achilles heel, but can't actually commit into saying won't get it, as i haven't tried doing much of it, only 3 pair of fly front trousers so far!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow. I love the way the blue and pink look together, and though you're right about not showing the details so well, the photo in the bright sunlight really is very dramatic. And very australia-accurate :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your sewing machine must be smoking with all this sewing. The hot pink shorts look great - Ive just made a pink skirt ( not has hot as your shorts though !)
    I like seeing photos of the clothes details as well as the general shots .

    ReplyDelete
  24. They're so cute! You look great in them. :)

    Funny, I have a tiny piece of hot pink linen I was thinking of turning into shorts, as well... Though I think my daughter needs a pair of breezy pants more than I need pink shorts.

    So I'll just enjoy yours. If that's not weird.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Terrific shorts. The colour is so summery and the shape is great on you.
    I love your photos. As a seamstress I am looking for the detail shots, but as someone idly reading blogs for entertainment your artistic shots are very appealing. Please keep putting both in.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This colour combo rocks! What a great pair of shorts, they look wonderful on you

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great shorts. You in shorts and us getting into our winter.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What totally perfectly crazy-coloured cheerful summery shorts! I love them! I wish I was as daring as you are with colour.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thankyou for reading my blog and your kind comments. I have read most of your blogs, but not commented. I so appreciate the way you do your sewing and make lovely useful clothes from scraps and used material. I am trying to get back to sewing, but my confidence is kind of lacking. So seeing what someone an do has been very helpful. Something else to be thankful for! Mave

    ReplyDelete
  30. They look wonderful! i love the colour.

    ReplyDelete