Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Dreaming, of chocolate

Y'know how you see some patterns, and you're like, oh so easy!! but you go ahead and buy or trace-out or copy-as-exactly-as-possible anyway?  
That's how I felt with this Tshirt pattern; top 106 from Burdastyle magazine 06/2011.  I just liked the shape of it, exactly as it appeared in the magazine; the subtle kimono sleeve, the boxy looseness of it.  So I hauled out the ol' tracing stuff and spread out the sheets and traced out this very very basic Tshirt/dress (you can make it a bit longer, and surprise! it is a dress! in true Burda magazine style, they elongate top patterns and give it a different number, making out it is a whole new pattern) even though all the while wondering that there was really nothing to it and maybe I was wasting my time and my tracing plastic.  And my final thought; there really is nothing to it!  Too easy!
However; made up, I am still enamoured of the cute shape and the very easy-to-wear and flattering kimono-sleeve.  I will make this top up again, and properly next time.  Because I admit it, this particular example is far from... well, gorgeous.  To be honest, I think it is soon to become my bed-time attire, ... woooh, such a glamour puss, no?!  
But, here is my reasoning ... remember this sundress? (below right)  It has been a hot weather staple for quite a few years and I have finally bid it adieu.  The zip pull was finally paintless, the straps had come adrift and been reattached with zig-zagging (discreet, but still unacceptably visible upon close inspection) a couple of times each, and the fabric is ... old.  I eventually realised it was not doing me any favours at all...  But I still loooovee this colour, and there was plenty of fabric in the dress.  
The thing with using old fabric for making new clothes is that; well obviously you are using old, and worn, and many times washed fabric, and usually that all shows and not to advantage either!  Old fabric gets thin, stretched and mis-shapen in some parts of a garment and not others, and so has limited application for smart new items.  But I still like to use old textiles as much as possible, saving the planet and so on and so on.  Assuages the guilt of my eco-conscience, if you like.
The neckline of this Tshirt here is slightly higher and not-as-sharply-V as the pattern, and instead of facings for which surprisingly there was not enough fabric, I made bias strips to finish the neckline and sleeve edges.  Since the original dress was cut on the bias, so the Tshirt is too.  And it is a little shorter than the pattern stipulates, again due to fabric shortage.  And even though this is just going to be a jammie top, the shoulder seams are flat-felled and the side seams are French seams.  Well, one may as well practise where one can, right?
Y'like?


Details:
Top; Burdastyle magazine 06/2011, 106 modified slightly, chocolate brown bobbled and embroidered cotton, a refashion of a sundress also originally made by me
Trousers; (hmmm, these are getting pretty old too...) self-drafted, based on a pair of old jeans, of white linen, details here

14 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn, for some reason I've been having trouble posting on your blog recently. It keeps kicking me off! Anyhow, I just wanted to say that the top doesn't look like it's made out of old fabric. It looks like those 'distressed' t-shirts (and the like) sold brand new in shops. :)

    That pattern is on my queue also. Check back in 10 years to see if I've made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're back! Your blog had totally disappeared from my computer and I was so worried. What with the fires and all I thought something awful might have happened. Pleased to see you and Sienna are still with us and your family is ok.
    PS. I like your top, there is something so satisfying in refashioning from another garment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a true wardobe basic - simple, stylish and looks so easy to wear. I like the idea of cutting out this top on the bias.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a cute top pattern, I hadn't really noticed it before, but now that you bring it to my attention, of course I want one too! I like the brown fabric. You cannot see that it is old and worn in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your top looks lovely...i love the style and the chocolate brown colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The top looks wonderfully cool. Chocolate - my favourite colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, I like. And why not wear it out for a walk on the beach? You look cool and comfortable. I have the same gripe when sewing with Kevin's old pants. Avoiding the overly worn areas can be a challenge. And when I made diapers for goose out of old tshirts the same problem. But yes, there is so much potential in those two bins of old clothes!

    With Kevin's pants I've found turning the fabric over and using the inside as the outside has helped with the fade issue. But I still have to avoid anything too near the zipper or pockets. It does make one feel so smart to figure out how to do it though, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really quite exciting seeing your cast offs in a new way. I had an epiphany the other night at about 1am about a skirt with a stain....now to action it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading what people make out of Burda magazines as I am a complete convert myself. I never noticed this pattern. It's funny how simple patterns, like neutral fabric never engages the eye in the same way and can be overlooked too easily - yet is so handy when you do make it up you find yourself wearing it to death (even in this case if it is just between the sheets).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really good case for using old fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like it, and I totally do that with patterns.

    Re-using a favorite garment for fabric is THE BEST. It's almost like a free garment, and as someone else said- "distressed" fabric like that is being used a lot in high street clothing shops...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm all in favour of using old fabric. I appreciate that for some garments, the worn out look doesn't work, but why not have well used casual clothing? I would think that would make it loo more, well, casual. I'm only a beginning sewist but I like to use the lining fabric of old curtains to make my muslins (I believe the fabric is muslin, actually). BTW, I didn't find any link to the details of those gorgeous white trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great reuse of the fabric. I have a book that read to my girls when they were little called "something from nothing" about an old Jewish tailor who made a blanket for his new grandson which became a waistcoast which became a tie which became a button...you get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a outfit I could live in! Good job!

    ReplyDelete