Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Bathers, 2011

Exactly the same pattern as last year.  Boring? well, maybe; of course I do like to try out new patterns every now and again but I just illogically wanted to have the exact same silhouette again this year.  You do sometimes, y'know?  I'm a woman so I'm allowed to be illogical..... (and it precedes that I am allowed to make that little joke, only since I am a woman...  twisted logic there, but that can be a useful tool, in the right hands, hehe)  But I digress....
A tankini is a style that works for me.  Last year I really liked the slightly old-fashioned appearance of that little skirt over the hips a lot, and this gathered bust with wide halter neck also flatters my figure I think.  Last year I had cut up an old bra and used it to fill out those cups a bit, but I ended up taking them out after only a few swims because they just about drove me mad moving around in there!  This year I figured that what I've got naturally will just have to do...
The pattern I used is a real oldie; one that I bought so many years ago it is one of those with just the one size in the envelope.  Yeah, remember those...?  I've used this pattern five times now, slightly different variations for different years, although I only have photos of last year's version and now this year's; since in the time-honoured fashion amongst women of a certain age I have traditionally avoided having my photo taken in bathers... there's that thing about feeling exposed, and "someone might see/recognise me" thus my clever semi-disguise here with my big floppy hat, hehe.  Somewhat akin to an emu with its head in a hole; if I can't see the camera then maybe it can't see me... ?  But my reasoning now is thus; if I am going to wear my bathers out to a public beach and in full view of strangers there, then to not wear them for my blog seems to be weirdly hypocritical.  There're two more samples of logic there; flawed? or not?  I'll leave you to judge...
This variation is based on the bikini with my own alterations.  The fabric is the same as this petticoat... when I was buying it I bought a little extra especially for this project, just because I fancied an overly cheerful sunflower-bright pair of bathers this year.  Seems kinda optimistic, y'know  (hmmm, definitely illogical...)


Details:
Tankini; variation of McCalls 2772, with a flared skirt section of my own design, swimwear fabric
Hat; Country Road

32 comments:

  1. Your bathers look great! I love the sunny yellow colour.

    I have that pattern, though I never got it to fit all that great on me...must have chosen the srong size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, love it!! Carolyn, your swimsuit looks amazing, and yellow really does suit you, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the yellow colour! You have enough pink tones in your skin to really carry it off. I am impressed by folks who make their own swimsuits, and even more impressed when they post pictures! Then again, why not? You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color is so pretty on you. Great job with the fit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! I love the color, in either a swim suit or petticoat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hat is a perfect disguise ;) .
    You look terrific in your beachwear, the yellow is such a happy colour, and the fit looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stuning. Love the colour, shape... where can I have one??
    Another amazing garment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute, Carolyn. Such a cheerful color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! Great colour, fit and body - wow!!
    What a good idea to flare out at the bottom too. Upon first look I thought this was an old fashioned bathing costume.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! And what a great colour - so very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really quite pretty, love the color! It's just so bright and cheery!

    Also, adorable doggie in the picture never hurts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great swimsuit, you look fantastic, love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photo! I like that vivid yellow for a swimsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the bright cheerful yellow! If it suits you, why not make it again? Of course, I'm not one to be very adventurous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello... I absolutely adore this swimsuit!! Very beautiful!! I'm relatively new to sewing, and I was wondering if you could go into detail on how you made the skirt part over the hips? Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sort of two piece is so practical. Whip a skirt over the top and you are ready to pop from the beach to the shop for an icecream. I love the colour and the setting.

    I made a bikini for my daughter last summer. Perhaps I will get brave and have a go at my own when my current suits need replacing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning photo! The yellow looks amazing against the backdrop of the sea and sky. I love the top. Looks very cute and retro all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty! The style looks really good on you! And, like always, superb picture taking. I love the color contrasts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous! Colour, fit, body, hat, dog, beach, weather...
    but wait, is that a dorsal fin I see in the water? Please tell me it's a rock or a dolphin.
    -Sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey That looks great! I love yellow (my sallow skin doesn't allow me to wear it tho) and you look amazing. I have that pattern and some red lycra waiting for exams to finish to start sewing. I like the skirt part alot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love bright sunny yellow! looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for you lovely comments!
    Sewingelle; lol! that is actually just some guy swimming with a boogie board.

    Keikami Lunasea; unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the skirt process, since I just laid down my bathers from last year and used them as my template for this year.
    I recommend that if you are new to sewing you buy a commercial pattern that you like and just follow the instructions for your first suit. This pattern is the first (and only) one I have bought and the very first time I just made the bikini up as is.

    If you are after a similar look to mine then I know Burdastyle has a bathers pattern to buy from their website that looks a bit like mine here.
    http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/alison

    But to explain what I did here in my bathers; the back part has the same top curve as the bikini back piece, and I just cut it a lot longer in an Aline shape and in one piece (no centre back join) The front skirt has the top contour cut to fit underneath the bikini piece, and then cut in a long Aline shape just like the back (although not quite as long, since it sits underneath the bikini front). The swimwear elastic is applied underneath the bikini part, and along the top of the back piece. The front of the "skirt" then sewn underneath the bikini, and then I pinned along the side seams and tried it on to check and adjust the fit. Then the side seams were sewn up, enclosing the back piece between the layers of the bikini and its lining.
    I hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful swimsuit. I love the Retro vibe of it and the color is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a truly fabulous color :-)! Like the suit in general too, good style, and good for you.

    You're totally right imho not to go with the padding and squeezing route. I guess that'd be OK if you wanted a suit to lounge by the side of the pool sipping colored drinks. But for swimming, nothing but your own body will do.. Those who are shocked can look elsewhere, eh? (said as someone who has the opposite problem and supposedly ought to build in more support in her own suits, but can't be bothered).

    Do we express enough appreciation for y'all who live in the Southern hemisphere? It cheers me up no end to watch you make bathers and sundresses when we're hunkering down into the woolies, reminds me there's spring coming up, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your bathing costume, the colour is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are so gorgeous! The colour is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great suit! I really like tankini style swimsuits as well! Yours looks fantastic on you! Good job girly!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look fabulous - and the swimsuit (we have strange words for things) looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so adorable. I love the yellow. I quite like the scrunchy bodice, which has good potential for the less-endowed.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just so happened to be perusing google in search of a cool bather pattern and I came across your blog. I was drawn in by the stunning bathers thinking something like that would be perfect. What I love most Is that you are from PERTH..... Fancy that.....me too. I don't often stumble across Perth bloggers, especially ones with fantastic swimsuit fashion. I'll keep following!!! I'm about to begin making my first swim suit. Totally exhausted with searching for bathers that are long enough for my torso.

    ReplyDelete