Sunday, October 30, 2011

Harvey Two-Face

So, we don't do Halloween here in Australia.  
But in the last few years; each year it seems my children are attending parties that have a Halloween theme.  Different from how it is in other countries; just invited kids together on the one premises, and no door-knocking and begging the neighbours for food, thank goodness.   This kind of Halloween is acceptable to me.
But still requiring a costume.
So true to form Tim informs me on Friday (the day before the party) that he wants to go as Harvey Two-Face, the character from Batman who has one half of his body all acid-burnt and crazy and evil, whilst the other half is a neat, respectable looking business man.  Can I make a half-and-half suit and shirt set fitting the brief in, like, 24 hours??  
Hehehe; funny.  Oh.  You're serious?  Oh, well, no! sorry.  Superpowers, I have not....  But I could possibly divide up two old suits and shirts and splice them together....?  So it was off to the op-shop.  Naturally, Friday was a public holiday in Perth... oh, did you know, we've had a VIP in town??  Yeees, so almost everything was shut, but a bit of phoning around informed us that the op-shops in the CBD were open that day.  So in we went.  Entering Good Sammy's I immediately scanned the clientele; hoping against hope to catch sight of Her Majesty... maybe checking out the hat and bag sections? ... but  (sigh) she must have already been in and cleaned up before us because there wasn't much of a selection.  
Disappointed!
But we did manage to score some rather paltry bits and pieces.
Bit of butchering and slashing and fudging together later...
It was all a bit mashed together; of course nothing slotted together easily and needless to say there are no HongKong finishes!, and I couldn't help thinking if only I had had a bit more time and if Spotlight had been open I felt could have had some fun and done something really wild and funky with the "evil" side, but we did the best we could with limited time and resources.  And I was pretty chuffed that he got the Best Costume award!!
Later edit; yup, he did put horrible blotchy red and pink make-up on the evil half of his face later on...  so dya reckon he is sufficiently supervillain-ous?

18 comments:

  1. Looks pretty wild to me - excellent work on such short notice!

    Interesting about Halloween - we didn't have it at all in my old inner-city neighbourhood, but now that we're in a family-dense area of suburbia it's a different story. The couple of streets around my house are very organised about it too - attach a balloon if you're "in", and the event runs for an agreed time period only - so we get a lot of ring-ins coming over for the evening. Interestingly the kids have no concept of the "trick" part of trick or treat though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, this is terrible. I thought that after high school, last minute costumes would be a thing of the past. I am horrified to discover that this is not the case.
    The costume is terrific. This may not be a good thing. You may have to make more of them next time there is a costume party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this character, but that is a great costume!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The costume is amazing. I am somewhat baffled by the mums ALWAYS making the costumes. With us it was more like: The fabric shop is there, the one-pound-store there and I have a thread and needle here. And you don't get to use the sewing machine. I might help my kids. But no-one beats my hand sewing and I am quite independent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the costume. Good idea for a last minute solution.

    About your comments on Halloween itself, well, honestly I found them to be a little insulting. Halloween isn't about children begging for food from strangers. It's about the excitement of dreaming of costumes months in advance, creating one if you can or buying it, and going around to all your friends, family, and neighbours to celebrate the holiday. It’s about the joy of dressing up, of being able to be something or someone other than yourself for one night in a way that’s accepted by everyone, and sharing that experience with others. Go to a small town in Canada or the US for Halloween sometime and you’ll see it’s quite a fantastic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whenallelsefailsdance; everyone's entitled to their opinion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic costume! I can't believe you managed to get it done in a day! And he even got the prize! As we speak, my two pumpkins are ready to be lit!! No parties for me this year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great job in such a short period of time. Tim looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, everyone is entitled to their opinion - tho Halloween seems to have got crazier in the States since I lived there ('88/'89 - so only 2 but neither were as much pushed as now. I hv been getting Halloween crafty stuff since July 4 stuff was put away! Maybe power of instant gratification via the w's). Wot evva, that is one hell of a fantastic scary costume! Did Tim make up half his face for the party? And how bloody TALL is that child?? A box of weetbix & 2L of milk for breakfast. They never warned us of THAT when we had tiny wee babies...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! What do the children of non-creative mothers do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I better not show this to my daughter - when she had Harry Potter day - I bought a rectangle of black fabric with a safety pin for a cloak and some glasses with the lens removed. Such a dedicated mother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tim looks great. An amazing job with such short notice. Hope to see a photo with the face make up too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome idea - and he's even wearing two different shoes! We don't really do Hallowe'en in Germany (well, mostly not, but you know, American culture kinda spills over) but my circle of friends has done Hallowe'en costume parties since high school (any excuse for a costume party, right? ;) Somehow this year, there were/are two. One on Saturday, where I went as Elpheba from Wicked, one today, at my house, and I'm thinking Celtic priestess. I'm bound to have a biggish piece of white fabric somewhiere...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heh, we don't go door to door either, though did when we were kids and it was great fun - we lived in the country so hiked MILES on halloween night to get enough neighbors for a good sack of candy ... but now in the modern era we just go to costume parties mostly. Fortunately goose is happy to be "LArry boy" again this year as he was that last year with an inherited costume and it still fits. I'm not so keen on making costumes at the last minute. Yours cam eout well though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool costume. Teenagers have no sense of time do they? It is either endless elastic or ridiculously compressed.

    ReplyDelete