Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sherbie jacket

... so named because it is exactly the same colour as of one of my favourite childhood lollies.
Thank you for the feedback on the Spring colour challenge yesterday!  I am still up in the air over whether I will actually join in officially or not; but in the meantime I have chosen a colour palette based on stash fabrics that I want to make up, and realised that this little jacket fitted in with it perfectly!
I'm embarrassed to admit that I made this about three years ago, and have barely worn it.  It has probably been worn about three times in total!  But I was doing a bit of clothing rotation; cleaning out my wardrobe and sorting out some warmer weather gear for the new season and came across it again in a suitcase of spring clothes and decided it was high time I brought into regular circulation.  It is actually quite a goodie if I say so myself... ;) and I plan to make it a staple for this spring.
It is Burda 7723, a pattern which has been seen here quite a lot.  That is because I have made up the shorts loads of times... but the jacket just this once.  It is of sherbie-apricot coloured raw silk, and has a contrasting darker apricot coloured hessian silk collar and pocket flaps.  Those pocket flaps are not just for show, there are real pockets underneath but they are pretty small and probably not useful for anything bigger than a mobile phone, house key and a credit card.  Well, all a woman needs, hehe.... :)  The jacket is fully lined in black acetate lining fabric.  Goodness knows why I chose black, I guess I must have thought it was a cool idea at the time.  I'm thinking the black lining looks a little weird now...
Some thoughts on the other things;
The pale pink layered damask skirt made about four years ago, I was super sad to spot a few areas around the welt seams where the fabric is starting to wear through age... and I still adore this skirt.  Noooooo!
The little sleeveless white wrap blouse, another old spring/summer staple.
Now I have to explain the extra random piccie below, I feel like a bit of a fool because I stuffed up.  I went out on my walk and took a nice picture for self-stitched September, and to show off the jacket... and thought that was that.  Then remembered that today was day of the mini-challenge; the night-shot; doh!  So normally I can't bear there to be more than one photo of the same outfit in a post.  You've probably noticed that I will generally have one photo only, except for details shots or a back/side view or if there is some extra added feature and so on...  I'm just like, one shot is enough already!  But I just have to join in the mini photo challenge, so I nipped out to our street tree and took a night shot too... and there it is below.  So I'm sorry if you too hate multiple photos of the same outfit; and I sympathise.  But unfortunately you just couldn't see much detail of the jacket in the night-shot, so it just had to be done!
But the good news; I did learn how to take a night shot on my camera... something that is new to me.  The shutter speed is set to 30 seconds, and I just stood as still as possible for those 30 seconds.  That is why you can see some car lights zooming down the street behind me!  I'm just amazed the picture worked out... pretty cool, huh?


Details:
Jacket; Burda 7723, apricot raw silk, darker apricot silk collar and pocket flaps, lined in black acetate
Top; NewLook 6252, white seersucker
Skirt; my own design based on Vogue 7303 (a basic A-line skirt pattern) pale pink shimmer-y damask, to see this skirt styled in 6 different ways go here
Sandshoes; Country Road

21 comments:

  1. LOVE that jacket! You so need to put that in regular rotation! The whole outfit is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS
    As a matter a fact that would look really nice with my jeans and boots, mmm can I borrow it :O)... tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. just beautiful. I love the welting on the skirt. The way you combine fabric and detail is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your photos are just as amazing as your sewing! love the photo at night

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so pretty! It certainly deserves to be in heavy rotation. Beautiful night photo, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the first photo, you look great in those colors

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the jacket alot - hope you will show it in more iterations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful jacket! It definitely needs to be seen out in public more often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great jacket. I see that cropped jackets are all over the runway at the moment so perhaps it will get a lot of wear in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the color of the jacket! looks more like Khadi Silk (Handloom) we get over here in India!

    also like the asymmetrical hemline of the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum! I love the way you've styled the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, regular rotation needed for this jacket! It would look neat with jeans too - do you wear jeans? I don't know why I have to quantify a garment by it's ability to be worn with jeans...lol...sometimes I think I am still trying to sell stuff!
    The collar shaping at the back neck looks pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great jacket. I'm lovin' the fabric. Yes, it definitely should be worn on a regular rotation.

    BTW cool night shot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. walking here with a smile. take care.. have a nice day ~ =D

    Regards,
    http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautiful jacket! Also, I'm impressed that your 30s exposure photo is so crisp - no motion blur, wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yes, this jacket deserves "more exposure." Your night shot is equally impressive, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beside the jacket, which I think is absolute cute, I really, really like the background of your first picture. I find it hauntingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with all the other comments - definitely use that jacket. That is the lovely thing about sewing is it not that you will be able to recreate your lovely skirt when it is time to part ways.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your outfits ... but I can't say that for every comment, can I? This is such a cute jacket, I love the slightly rough look of the raw silk. And that last photo is so cute, like a naughty youngster waiting for someone behind a tree, round the back of the dance :-)

    ReplyDelete