Monday, September 26, 2011

Not the same dress at all...

Looking back at last year's self-stitched September, I can definitely see how this spring has been colder, and we have had a lot more rain.  I was wearing a lot less during last year's challenge, and complaining petulantly about the lack of rain.  And unfortunately we will be having an unseasonal cold snap for the rest of the week; meaning I cannot actually wear just yet several of my new creations for the last few days of self-stitched September.  I have just finished two new dresses and am starting on a new skirt, but they are all just a tad too summery for right now and will have to wait a bit. 
But I still have some suitable nice things that haven't been worn here for a while.  This may at first glance appear identical to the dress I wore two days ago, but it is not.  Trust me...  True, these two dresses were made up using the same pattern.. but wait; that dress was silver and beige lace; this dress is black and beige lace.  And this one is sleeveless (better view here) See, huh?  Totally not identical at all  right??  :))  I'm sure anyone could appreciate the vast difference between the two dresses...   any true lace-lover will completely concur with the wisdom in buying these fabrics and sewing up two NewLook 6699's, without apparently fully realising that I would end up with two pretty similar dresses.  Totally understandable, I'm sure anyone could make the same mistake  fabulous wardrobe decision.
Well, they were made a year apart from each other, so I can be forgiven.  Sort of.  But perhaps I should hold off from buying any more lace just yet, hehe.
And worn with my little snakeskin cardi for wind protection.


Details:
Dress; NewLook 6699, black and beige lace, with ivory silk lining
Cardigan; my own design, rubber coated knit embossed with a snakeskin print, details here
Tights; Kolotex
Shoes; Django and Juliette, from Zomp shoes

20 comments:

  1. Very nice outfit! Really like your lace dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black and beige lace looks very lux!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! You gotta mix a luxurious lace outfit to wear for the city ... I envy your skills to get these mixtures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, a beautiful dress Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, it looks so delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress, looks fantastic on you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the lace color combo and dress fit. I have a lot of lace in my stash and always debating on how to sew it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is beautiful. It looks AMAZING on you! So it obviously needed to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this was familiar! Really pretty Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful outfit, beautiful setting, beautiful mood...
    ( I can't say enough how much I'd like to visit Australia when I watch your pictures!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I do this. Don't I need another brown skirt? Oh yeah, I already have two... lol.

    Well, we are forecast to be 101 with humidity putting the heat index to 106. Wish we could trade weather. And get some of that rain!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great outfit. You really can't beat black can you even for spring. I have the same problem here in Chch the spring weather simply isn't playing the game. I guess we are paying for the late start to winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Self-stitched September! I suppose I'm oblivious, not being in any sewing circles, and of that matter, I can't actually sew, haha. But it seems there is a month, a week, a day, dedicated to everything.

    Your dress looks lovely, though! I wish more people would make their own clothes, there's something so wonderful about doing-it-yourself.

    Belated thanks for your kind comment, I'm flattered you like my writing, and the photographs, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful dress! beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am looking at your dress with selfish interest since I have about 30 metres of antique lace and need to find a way to wear it!

    Beautiful dress..

    BTW was not in the slightest offended by your editing.. my exact thought was this, "herein lies the difference between a good sewer and a great sewer : a great sewer has the eye for details."

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are really making me want one of these dresses.....I have never had a lace dress, and usually only sew it for others....now why is that?

    Another inspiring outfit...sheesh:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the print of the dress very much~!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello there!!! Thanks for visiting my blog!!
    Love this frock and cardi!Lovely choice of fabric,you look beautiful!x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic outfit. Love the lace with the black. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way you wear lace with such easy casual style.

    ReplyDelete