Saturday, September 24, 2011

I'm gonna party...

...like it's ma birthday...
'Cos it is!  Hehe, and I'm going to take full advantage, by doing exactly as I please... which means very little office work.  Sadly Craig is working all today  :((  but we are all going out to dinner together as a family tonight, so I am looking forward to that.  This morning I stayed in bed for a bit, super self-indulgently flipping through Vogue, then Cassie brought me a cup of tea as well as one for herself and we sat chatting for a good half hour.  It was so nice!  She is a very sweet and spontaneous daughter like this sometimes ...  Then I wheedled Tim and Sam out of bed (who are also sweet, if not so spontaneous) and we went out for brekkie together.  Again, so nice!  I'm glad my children are great fun company...
I plan to walk the dog and sew too.  (so nice!  oh, OK I'll stop that now...)
So today being a please-myself kind of a day, I picked out my favourite (self-stitched) spring-time dress to wear.  Thankfully the weather gods are smiling with a delightful 23C and only light-ish breezes, so I can. 
I can, so I do.
I dress, therefore I am.
(Descartes, you know... sort of)
Being lace it can look quite dressy but I happily downgraded this dress to casual status a while ago, and so it gets worn anywhere anytime now.  Weather permitting, obviously...!  It used to be one of my formal choices and I have worn it to weddings, cocktail thingy-s and dressy afternoon gatherings but I think it looks perfectly elegant with thongs or low casual sandals for ordinary days.  I think favourite dresses should be worn whenever, don't you?
First thing this morning was a little fresh so I also had on my own brown cardi, which I am carrying here.  Even with that old textured cardi it looked quite good together.  Or should I say; the dress made the cardi look good...?  When we go out tonight I will fling on my grey wool spring coat, step into some heels, put up my hair, and be perfectly elegant for a swisho restaurant too.
Hope you all avagoodone!


Details:
Dress; based loosely on NewLook 6699, beige and silver lace, purple/brown shot silk chiffon, beige border lace, beige cotton lining
Cardigan, my own design, Jo Sharp Silk Road DK Tweed in Brindle, details here
Shoes; Bronx, from Zomp shoes

32 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Such a soft looking dress. Very pretty. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! It sounds like you are enjoying your day with the people you love. Nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Carolyn! It seems you are having a great day, and I'm sure you'll be even happier tonight! Your family sounds so very sweet. (I love your dress too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY - I think there should be a rule that people and their partners shouldn`t work on birthdays. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! The best way to spend your birthday is doing very little. I am pleased you got your birthday meal out...I am still waiting for mine. I fear though that spots have reared their ugly head in my house again...bummer.

    That is a very nice dress. I might have to invest in a little lace number I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It sounds like you are off to a lovely start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday. Your dress is lovely, and I agree, favourite clothes should be worn frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! Glad to hear that such a pretty dress is getting lots of wear:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday from the UK, where we're just at the beginning of a heatwave!

    I love this dress, it's beautiful and I'm so glad you wear it lots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday. Sounds as if you're having a wonderful day. Your dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday and it's a beautiful dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! What a lovely dress - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! Looks like the perfect spring day to be celebrating and you look perfectly dressed for the festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday and many happy returns of the day! Wish you a happy, healthy year ahead! Lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday!!!!!
    sounds like a very good day!
    (love the dress!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! That dress definitely deserves to be worn as often as you can get away with it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday and enjoy your fun filled day, sounds like a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, Dear Carolyn, happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! It sounds like a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy B-Day!! Lovely lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful dress and love it done casually like this. Another inspiring post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfect outfit for a party. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday! In this outfit you will defenately have a great evening! It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday! I can totally see why that dress is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy birthday Carolyn!
    Hope you had a beautiful day, the dress is perfect and you look fantastic! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :) Hope you had a wonderful day, the beginning of it does sound perfect. The dress looks gorgeous on you! Many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhh! Happy birthday! Love the dress ... very beautiful and looks easy to wear...

    ReplyDelete
  28. A belated happy birthday! You look beautiful in your dress. Hope you had a nice birthday party with your beloved ones and lot of nice presents!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Belated Happy Birthday, Carolyn!!!!
    I hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy belated birthday - love your dress (and the other lace beauty 2 days from now :-)), and I aspire to wear special dresses whenever I feel like it...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know it's a bit late, but I'm behind on my blog reading. ;) So hope you had a wonderful birthday! And lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete