A new skirt... I've been casting a critical eye over some of my older skirts, and much as I still love them I can see some are sadly looking a wee bit on the shabby side. So with the warmer weather just around the corner (thinking positively here) I'm looking to replace some of them. I had a shortish length of charcoal fabric sitting in my fabric pile, leftover after Cassie had made herself a skirt. Only about 65cm, and when I have leftovers of this measly size the standby option is often my old trusty faithful skirt pattern Vogue 7303. So I made it up; lined with black acetate lining fabric, and hemmed with a bias strip of black cotton. The inner raw edges are overlocked to finish.
But the colour was deeply uninspiring. I hung it up in my wardrobe and it actually sat there for over a week with no desire on my part to wear it even once... and really I do have a perfectly good little charcoal skirt already, and a newish black skirt too. The fabric is a marle, woven in a drill-like weave similar to a denim, and had a distinct white fleck amongst the predominant charcoal grey, so I thought the white fleck-y parts of it would take up a strong coloured dye OK to give it a sheen of some colour.
So two days ago the brand new skirt was plunged recklessly into the murky depths of the dye-pot...
Do you like my dyeing stick; for stirring, poking and prodding? I found it in the garden, and it has a perfectly placed twist in it to enable it to sit stably against the edge of the pot. Pretty good, huh?
I used iDye Poly in Blue and am pretty happy with this new deeply intense navy-blue colour. The fabric doesn't look like suiting any more, but now looks in close-up a bit like a soft woollen denim. Quite interesting, and more inspiring than the rather predictable "before" skirt.
Oh OK; I agree it's still not a super exciting skirt but I think it will turn out to be a very useful little basic, as seemingly boring garments often are.
And it sure does feel gooooood to get rid of those leftovers from the stash! In the past few months I've managed to use up several smaller amounts of fabric and gained useful garments in the process, so I'm feeling pretty virtuous right now. Virtuous enough to offset just a little of the guilt from three new pieces of fabric recently added to my collection, anyway... hehehe.
Skirt; Vogue 7303 with modifications, charcoal marle fabric dyed with iDye Poly in Blue
Top; Veronika Maine
Cardigan and tights; Metalicus
Scarf; made by me with a jersey offcut, details here
Shoes; Django and Juliette, from Zomp shoes