Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pattern Magic twist top; take 3


So, I had originally bought this heavy cream knit stuff with the intention of re-creating exactemente the dress on the cover envelope of Vogue 1087 (below, right), and obviously got disenchanted with the idea since it sat in my stash uncut... and I did start to think, do I really need another dress, when my winter lifestyle is more oriented towards separates, and since doing Me-Made June I have identified a need for tops not dresses... Luckily, creamy coloured stretchy stuff is not that sort of demanding fabric that is only going to suit one and one only type of garment, and so I changed tack.  Hehe, actually not a hugely surprising turnabout since this twist top from the Pattern Magic book is a pattern I have made up twice before and adore, and the colour is hardly a break-away for me either, but still!  I'm in love with this new top already...
I'm sure you are wondering what this intriguingly sculptural one-pattern-piece top looks like when it is laid flat...  no?  Well, since I have just brought it up and no doubt piqued your curiosity, I shall now proceed to satisfy it... kind of me, no?  Below is my older, but the same pattern, charcoal top, now washed and worn for about a year now so maybe has got a tiny tad mis-shapen over the last year, but you get the idea....  When it is on those skewiff details pull the top in to hug one's body beautifully and make for a very flattering silhouette.   The cream jersey I have used to make this new version is quite a bit stiffer than the charcoal, and has less stretch, so getting it on is kind of a struggle.  But once it is on it feels great!  I do love a firm snug top, especially in the winter time.


Details:
Top; the twist top from Pattern Magic, by Tomoko Nakamichi, heavy cream knit stuff from Knitwit
Skirt; skirt "d" from Unique Clothes Any Way You Like, by Natsuno Hiraiwa, silver grey crepe, details here, and to see this skirt styled in 6 different ways go here
Tights; Kolotex
Shoes; Django and Juliette, from Zomp shoes
(below; a spectator...)

21 comments:

  1. This is so interesting-how would one ever work out the pattern from draping? It's a mystery to me but thanks for showing what the top looks like flat. I actually have sewn some tops which looked similar but in error! It is a gorgeous top in cream.

    I am sewing for the OPML contest on PR and am making many versions of a maxi dress. I have been longing to make some tops...I'll need to wait until I finish the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This top looks really lovely! The pattern magic book is definitely on my 'need to purchase' list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice top! It's simple and useful in cream, but it has a little twist. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting top. It actually looks really complicated on but when laid flat looks like my sort of top...quick to make! I wonder what it would look like in stripes....maybe navy and white nautical with white pants for spring! I think the Donna Karan top would make a great spring top instead of a dress. It would look fantastic with a pencil skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This top is a fantastic winter addition. The design is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The outfit works really well. I've always liked your Japanese pattern clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this version. It looks great! Love the spectator too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beautiful Japanese piece from you! This top is on my to sew list for when it gets cooler again over here. The cream looks lovely on you and shows up the draping details really well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favourite top of yours! (I'm planning on making mine this fall!) It's so flattering and I imagine it will go with SO many of the clothes you already have in your spectacular wardrobe. What a great choice!

    That sweet little spectator is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So neat! Those Pattern Magic books just keep breaking my brain :).

    Thanks so much for your comment about my drawings! We do have a few framed, including some my husband and I collaborated on BC (before children) in the livingroom and a couple more in the bedroom. Although there's only so much of one's own art one can put up before feeling a bit, ah, conceited? Also looking at one's own work can be pretty painful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this top! I keep saying to myself - I really need to get this book, yet I'm just wondering how crazy such items of clothing will make me when they don't line up "properly" on hangers and for folding. Obviously, the whole effect is in the wearing - however...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a beginner when it comes to sewing, but the top lain flat is certainly making me think that I could perhaps attempt something like that. It looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very classic. Thanks for showing the flat top too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for posting this. It's another one of the patterns that I saw here and then bought the pattern because I was all inspired. Of course, I have no business trying to tackle this since I have no clue what I'm doing but I'll be tackling this mind-bending trick in about a month from now anyway. It looks smashing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cut in one piece you say. That is a twist! In that case stripes may be a disaster. Love the dress in the stripes though. I think it looks nicer than the picture on the packet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the top is interesting! Is it comfortable to wear?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful pattern, all Japanese patterns are a mystery until you see it flat or cut, the shirt is very flattering and spectator seem very interested at the scene ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just got these books and I'm so excited, love seeing the successes you've had!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Huh, I would never ever have guessed how it looks in 3d from the flat garment... It looks lovely on you, I love the draped lines! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your top, it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Linda blusa! Beautiful top! Love the twist and the color.

    ReplyDelete