Friday, July 15, 2011

Mum's dragonfly vest

I hasten to point out, not my work at all but another clever example of Mum's creativity...  A vest made of Japanese linen; resist dyed, with a lovely dragonfly motif in the natural linen, and the background in traditional indigo.  The vest is unstructured and quite loose-fitting; the interesting and creative part here is the unique collar and front band.  Instead of going the pedestrian option of cutting the band in a single length of cloth with no features and letting the dragonfly fabric of the vest do the talking alone, Mum has made the band a feature in itself by sewing together a random arrangement of patches and strips, including pintucks and exposed selvedge edges, a coupla patches of the dragonfly fabric, and sudden and unexpected crazy zig-zaggy machine-stitching (hard to see here, but they are there!)   The vest has a single HUGE coconut shell button...
Thank you Mum for letting me share this inspirational sewing moment!
(Later edit: the pattern Mum used is Vogue 8454)

20 comments:

  1. Your mom is amazingly creative & skilled! I'm wowed every time you post one of her creations. Can you ship her overseas for a bit? I'd love to learn by her side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed by your Mom's creative expression. She has such a gift and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mom's creativity. It reminds me of the creativity of unknown hands exhibited on the sri threads blog, especially the patched and mended garments worn by Japanese fisherman and farmers.
    http://threads.srithreads.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The interesting neckline really makes the vest

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible, unique vest! I see where you get your flair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely! The unique band really "makes" the vest.
    So this is where your creative genes come from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can certainly see where you get yur creative talent from. Your mum's vest is wonderful! I love how she did the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the above - I wonder if they can isolate that creative , fine motor skills gene . I will be first up for the gene transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of the Marcy Tilton pattern - Vogue 8454 - did she get inspiration from that?

    Your mom is such an inspiration. What a creative family you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mum's vest is beautiful. I love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic vest. Your Mum is one creative and trendy Nana. She must have taught you well. On a side note....your lemon tree is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing vest. The patchwork band is extremely appealing, and I love your Mum's outfit - it looks so casually stylish and practical, and lets the vest shine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please tell your Mom that her work is lovely, and her attention to detail and creative expression is obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the fabric in this vest is pretty wonderful. So, is your mother your inspiration for sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great, like the one button detail!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mom has such a knack for creative artsy garments. I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Mum makes very original garments. Love the slight shifts in the fabrics on the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a surprise to see this fabric, as I have some that is very similar indeed (though I think mine is cotton).

    If I ever get up the nerve to cut mine, I'll have to keep this garment in mind - a simple pattern to showcase a beautiful fabric. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete