Monday, July 18, 2011

Horrible colour, begone

So, as I mentioned last post, colour...
Exhibit one; some grey synthetic knit stuff from the remnant bin.  Remnant bins are a terrible trap really, aren't they?, the fabrics within can be so tempting pricewise, and the truth is they might not be very "you" at all.  So in a moment of madness I was swayed by this mottle-y grey fluffy stuff and brought it home, and eventually got around to making up a top and donned it, and it looked more than a bit awful.  No I wouldn't even take a picture of myself to show here on the blog; I looked pale, and ill, and ... awful.  The shape of the top was OK and I liked the monastic roughness of the fabric combined with the simplicity of the silhouette, it was just the colour that was the problem here...  So it was off to check out the dye section.  I was pretty sure the fibre composition here was mostly synthetic, so I bought iDye Poly for synthetics, in Yellow.
Et voila!
I was just hoping to just get a more yellow-y shade of grey out of this that would be more flattering to my complexion; but imagine my delight at this wonderful moss-y green that resulted!  Obviously the grey had far more blue in it than I realised, and I'm sure we all remember from our paint mixing days in art class at school that blue + yellow = green.  This is a prime (haha!) example right here...
Construction details; I drafted the top using one of my other Tshirts as a guide.  The fabric remnant I had was cut off at a funny angle, necessitating the curved lower front hem. I matched this curve on the other side of the front, but I left the back pieces straight for a contrasting hemline.  Initially I meant to curve the back hem too, but I think I like that contrast now.  Both lower hems are unfinished, and after more than a few washings that the garment received during the dyeing process, I can report the happily un-fray/ravel-abe nature of the raw edges of this knit.  However I did handstitch the sleeve hems in a rolled edge.  The neckline, well I tried to be sort of clever here, and apply a bias binding that would both enclose and stabilise the shoulder seams inside, and as well as finishing the back neckline.  This turned out to be a trickier exercise than I thought to achieve my desired effect, but I think I pulled it off.  The front neckline is rolled to the outside in a tight little roll, and hand-stitched down.  (these pictures taken before dyeing, obviously!)
Final summary; well to think I started out with fabric that was, let's face it, a bad purchase since I wouldn't have bought this fabric at full price off the roll, and then finally managed to get something that I am actually happy with; ultimately a successful project.  I'm still not in complete love with the fabric, it is a tad cheap and scratchy but the new colour is so wonderful, and was a far more perfect-for-me colour than I was hoping for.
On that note, does anybody know of a good source of pure wool knit fabrics...?


Details:
top; my own design, from (originally) grey synthetic knit stuff dyed using iDye Poly in Yellow
Jeans; Burda 7863 with some modifications, purple stretch denim, details here
Shoes; Francesco Morichetti, from Zomp shoes

21 comments:

  1. That is a lovely color green - good job turning it into something you'll wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great green colour jumper!

    The plastic table cloth is a great idea for patterns. I will use this on my Burda magazines as well. I will check it out next time I am at Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dye has a tendency to turn garments into a different colour to the front of the packet, but this is a great alternative, such a lovely green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I was too keen and had to quickly scroll down to see what colour it became! SO perfect and how rich does it make your hair colour! BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing save! It is completely transformed. So much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!...what a surprise. The colour is great and really suits you. Isn't it nice when soemthing not so good turns into something so nice. Great job.

    For the fabric,have you tried Knitwit in Nedlands. They have some lovely fabrics not sure how much is wool though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it---the shape, the mossy colour (especially with your purple trousers!), the slouchy bell sleeves, the curved hem-band... (hmm, is there anything left I can gush over?)

    Most of my husband's T-shirts have one-piece bindings across shoulders and back neck, kind of like you describe. I keep eyeing them thinking I should try to replicate... but I think it would be tricky, and trickier without a coverstitch or whatever they use...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the green! Gives it such a nice pop. I've usually had to use three or more packets of dye to get the color I envision, so it's too bad it didn't come out as you planned, but the end result is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love dyeing things, I have several items that I plan on dyeing but haven't gotten around to it yet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I bet that was fun. Rinsing it out and realizing it was green! Like a fun art experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a (literally) brilliant solution to a colour problem! I LOVE that new top in its new shade!! Green and purple were just made for each other. Fantastic addition to your wardrobe!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What I love the most about your new sweater (jumper) is that each part of the process was an experiment. Buying the unknown fiber content remnant, drafting a top from an existing top and further modifying it, and then dyeing it. And, wonderful results. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. It turned into a really nice shade of green. Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM!!! I LOVE THIS. Sorry for the yelling, but I got carried away. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delightful surprise. The green looks great with the purple/eggplant jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that green is such a lovely color! it makes a vibrant top!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the green colour, I have to be more adventurous with dying.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Result on the jumper!
    Have you tried this shop in Leederville? I haven't yet - my stash is too large to go out for more...
    http://tracygraffin.com.au/secret-fabric-shopping/
    Where did you purchase the dye from in Perth? I have such problems finding any.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Best coincidence to be sure! I remember being so utterly confused when you bought out that top thinking "mum didn't buy green dye!!!"
    On the note of remnants, there is a remnants sale in Fabulous Fabric, laces, printed chiffon and beaded fabrics... can you take me with you when you go check it out?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, yes, I am thrilled with the colour surprise!
    Shelley, I bought this fabric from Knitwit! Sometimes they have woollens...
    LINDAK, yes, I have been to Potter's Textiles. It is very difficult to get good woollens anywhere in Perth... I bought the dye from Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That turned out so well. The colour is amazing.
    I am terribly tempted by remnant bins also, usually to my eventual dismay. It is terrific that you have made such a gorgeous garment instead!

    ReplyDelete