Saturday, July 23, 2011

Featuring small versions of Tim and Cassie...

Whizzing back a few years now...
and here are some more of the little outfits I made for my children when they were small.  These were "good" outfits, but of course I used to dress my children in good outfits on a day-to-day basis anyway, reasoning that they wouldn't fit into them for very long!  So these clothes were worn to parties, to playgroup, to picnics, as well as for playing in the sandpit at home and to the beach; anywhere.  We're not the sort of family to ever be precious about our clothes.  Oh, OK then... with the exception of that Chanel style coat, I admit it.
These designs were all from TopKids magazines.  I still have all nine of the magazines I bought, although none of the patterns I traced out!  They were such wonderful magazines.. ooer, I've probably said that a few, or a dozen, times before, haven't I?  I've got this tendency to rave about them, sorry.  Such a pity they were discontinued.  I've never seen such great, trendy, funky, interesting little children's patterns anywhere else since.
The dress Cassie is wearing has a few rows of smocking on the bodice and a little white Peter Pan collar, on which I hand embroidered a few flowers, stems and leaves mimicking the design in the floral.  Another cute little dress that has gone, goodness knows where...
Tim's outfit was a little short overall, of a light denim fabric and with patches of a thickish checked cotton.  I was pretty proud of this, and he wore it tonnes of times, until it got holes in the bottom...  That red button sewn on the front is an aeroplane.
The button-up boxy little jacket is of the same light denim fabric, and has contrasting fabric for the pocket flaps and the hoodie part of it.  The contrasting fabric is printed with cheerful hippos setting sail in sailing boats.
The pictures of Cassie alone and of the two of them, were taken on her first birthday.

10 comments:

  1. I have all the Topkids magazines ever published. :) The patterns were actually from Knippie in the Netherlands so if you like TK you should also like Knippie. I can also highly recommend Ottobre (Finland) which I think is even better than TK and I loved TK as much as you. Of course I'm sure you currently have no need for such patterns but I'm just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a couple of cuties. And those are cute outfits, esp the overalls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing what you made for your little ones. I have been digging through old photos lately and have come up with pictures of outfits I made my boys, and had forgotten about. But what really struck me about these photos is how Tim is holding his mouth off to the side just a slight bit. My oldest son did that all the time as a toddler. Reminds me of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to look through old photos. I can't believe how big your children are now! Bet you can't either :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have about 6 of the TK magazines. I don't use them anymore except for an adaption for the jeans I made my 7 year old recently but can't bare to part with them. They were however my staple when my kids were small. Great value for money, excellent fit and best of all trendy. Like you I was very disappointed when they went out of print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy your blast from the past photos, as I am sure I was doing just the same things as you! I am nearly sure that I made those same overalls, but in a lovely denim with daisies on it for my girly toddlers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Reminds me a bit of my baby pics. I've heard my mom say that she sewed and knitted quite a few outfits for us kids. Sadly, not many photos remain...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made those bib and brace overalls for my daughter in a pretty yellow and blue floral (ex Osh Kosh I think) from Tessutis when Colette first opened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you managed to save any of these clothes? One fine day, you may have grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sew4Fun; thank you! I have read about Ottobre, but have never come across it here... I guess you have to order it online? Maybe one day in the future I will have a new use for my beloved TopKids magazines, or some other kiddies pattern magazines... :)

    ReplyDelete