Saturday, July 16, 2011

Blue and green, etc

We all remember that silly ol' saying about blue and green never to be seen (together), but I love blue and green together.  Particularly because teal and turquoise, both quasi sort-of versions of both the blue and the green factions, are amongst my favourite colours.  I wore this outfit yesterday, on a very nice morning tea outing with my lovely sister-in-law A...
You know, when I first made this coat I was a little sad that I didn't have enough fabric to make the full length sleeve, and these half sleeves were the only option.  If I had had enough fabric, the truth is that I would probably have gone for longer sleeves....  but now I have them I am actually very happy at the serendipitous misjudgement on the part of my former fabric-buying self!  The reason?  quite apart from that gloriously feminine and distinctive shape; grey is a fabulous colour for winter clothes; practical and "serious", neutral enough so all other colours look good against it, and unobtrusive enough that one is not going to tire of it easily... but even in the dead of winter it is nice to have a little bit of colour somewhere in the ensemble to set the mood, and this coat with its half-sleeves has turned out perfect for wearing different layers of of whatever colour is currently taking one's fancy on the arms, and ditto for my charcoal Pattern Magic gathered hole dress... that hole!  who would have thought it would be such a great idea introducing a great little splash of colour into the ensemble!  (should have taken a picture sans coat but didn't, meh...)
Colour is starting to occupy my thoughts more and more, and particularly the fact that one is so restricted by what is available in the fabric store.  I am starting to entertain more fantasies about dyeing my own shades... and particularly in the wake of a recent success in the dyeing department, which right now as I type these very words! is drying on a clothes horse in our living room and which I am quite excited about showing here soon...!
So watch this space... and wishing you all a wonderful weekend!


Details:
Coat; McCalls 5525 view B, charcoal wool, details and my review of this pattern here
Dress; gathered hole dress from Pattern Magic by Tomoko Nakamichi, charcoal wool mix, details here
Navy tights, teal top, and turquoise scarf cardi; Metalicus
Boots; Andrea and Joen, from Uggies in Dunsborough

16 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your dyeing experiment. I'm interested in dyeing fabrics myself but it's one of those things I never get around to actually doing...
    And about those half-sleeves on a winter coat... This may be a bit harsh from someone who is, herself, living in a place with a moderate climate, but your reason for liking those sleeves just prooves that it never gets really cold where you are. I love the look of you coat and I might make sleeves in that length on an intermediate coat, but never for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you have been dying.

    Love your coat and the idea that you can add a splash of colour with the shorter length sleeve. I wear this length in the Autumn and Spring but it's too cold in Melbourne to wear in Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outfit, love the layering effect. Beautiful contrast with your hair. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This outfit looks great on you, both the colour mixutre and the layering look terrific.
    I have bought both of the pattern magic books due to your fantastic pieces. You are most inspiring with both your sewing and your styling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great outfit, I like all the layering. I agree with you about grey - I wear it quite a lot especially in autumn through to winter as I like putting it with little pops of colour. I went back and looked at the hole dress, ooohh, loving it!
    I am intruged to see the dyeing results. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look nice to have a little pop of colour on your wrists. Grey is such a perfect background for it too. I am guessing your climate is sufficiently mild that you don't really need full length sleeves anyway! It's not like you live in bOston or Moscow or something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very interested to see the results of your dyeing. Not that I have any intentions of following suit at the moment. Once upon a time I had this brilliant idea of dying sheets for a home dec project. The results were rather sad, to say the least. Ever since, I'm in awe of those who dye things, and actually have usable yardage in colours that worked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fabric dyeing, but haven't done much recently. I look forward to seeing what you do. And that's an interesting perspective about shorter sleeves on a neutral coat. I find that very interesting. I'll have to give it some thought, because I would normally never put short-ish sleeves on a winter coat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. really like the color coming out of the sleeves!
    teal and turquoise is a wonderful mix; subtle, a bit wintery, yet colorful, really great with the grey... and the red hair adds a bit of surprise color splash to the whole ensemble ;)
    Go for the dying! I am sure you'll have a lot of fun experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this coat with the half sleeves! Not only does it allow you to show a peak of color with longer sleeves, you could wear some awesome longer gloves in the winter also!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love teal and turquoise too, but had to shade my eyes from the grey. (That color is actually such a favorite of mine that I've been on a campaign to avoid it this year!).

    I am very, very curious about your dying project. I recent bought a box myself...and then grew shy of using it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a fabulous coat. I am a great fan of colour and feel a bit underdressed or incomplete without it. An outfit void of colour just doesn't feel right to me.

    On a recent trip to Sydney with my 'colourful' younger sister, a shop assistant made the comment to her - 'You're not from around here are you?' Maybe she was looking all a bit too-Noosa with her hot pink metalicus scarf & brightly-coloured accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is nice this jacket allows for a pop of color. And I like the colors you have chosen to showcase with it. I can't wait to see what you have dyed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the blue and green look great together. Can't wait to see your dyed project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love this coat. I know I must have something like it (with those sleeves) in one of my Japanese pattern mags.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm looking forward to seeing your dyed project too--especially because the couple of dye attempts I've made this summer have all failed in one way or another, lol!

    And I've never heard that saying about blue and green together. Though I apparently break that rule all the time, as I seem to constantly go for fabrics that have both colors in them. Including the self-stitched blouse I'm wearing today!

    ReplyDelete