Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Puddle-y day

Looking at this photo, you will not be surprised to hear that we had not only the entire foreshore to ourselves this morning, but the entire park as well.  Yup.  Came across not another living soul, er, more correctly; came across no other humans or doggies...  birds aplenty were swooping from puddle to puddle, frolicking and fossicking about like crazy; overjoyed at all the wonderful worm-rich waterholes that had popped up overnight.  Making hay while the sun shines, so to speak, except the sun isn't shining hehe...  hmmm, so that doesn't really work, but you get my drift.
Today feels reeeeally winter-y, like winter should feel and thank goodness (14C-18C, if you're interested).  The rain is sooo welcome.  You see, when it rains in Perth, it really rains; comes down strong and heavy.  This is pretty fabulous, because it makes up for all those plentiful in-between days in which we get no rain.
This dress.  Can't quite shake the suspicion that it is borderline frumpy, but I've hung on to it because it is a good winter one.  I made it quite well and to last, if I say so myself.  The fabric is a good quality wool suiting mix, and it is fully lined and with a central back invisible zip.  I think maybe the skirt is a tad baggy on me, but this becomes a good thing when you want to, say, run like billy-o over to shelter during a sudden downpour.  Or curl up on the couch in the evening.  And possibly the hemline is maybe a tad long to be worn on its own, but I think the proportions of the dress look right when it is belted, like I have done here.  And belting =  warmer = a good thing.  In winter, natch.


Details:
Top; self drafted, grey/mauve jersey knit, details here
Dress; Burda 8511 fully lined and with fitting modifications, tobacco coloured wool mix suiting
Infinity scarf; self drafted and handknit by me from cream pure merino wool, details and my pattern here
Belt; emu leather, from Luxe
Tights; Kolotex
Socks; not seen, but handknit by me too, details here
Boots; Andrea and Joen, from Uggies in Dunsborough
Brolly; Charlie Brown, from David Jones

22 comments:

  1. Is it frumpy? I don't think so. It is a very basic style, from what I can see from your photo (wonderful weather photo, BTW) and you have the height and carriage to carry it off. I like it. I like the fact that I see the umbrella, the scarf and the belt before I see the dress.

    It's late here and I have a dr appt in the morning so I am off to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that photo definitely depicts winter. It looks really cold.

    I don't think your dress looks frumpy, to me it looks like a real classic to be worn forever. I love the way you styled it with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, 18°C and rain have been *summer* temperatures last week, around here! (Ok, so daily high was 21. Still.)
    That's a great picture, love the mistiness and the frilly umbrella. I'm partial to sheath dresses layered with longsleeves in winter, so I don't think it's frumpy at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I think that "mistiness" might have been some rain on the lens...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh I love the photo... it really captures the rainy moment and with the umbrella, it's so mysterious and misty...
    but poor dog, she looks like she wants to get back to her nice warm bed! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a lovely look - not at all frumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sheath dress looks wonderful layered up and not frumpy at all.

    I'm really enjoying your pictures taken in the same spot each day this month, as you've chosen a beautiful location to model your MMJ outfits in which all look fabulous on you. Loving Sienna's au natural look too!

    Your post has made me smile as 14-18 degrees and rain is our summer so far, and whilst you're wrapped up in long sleeves, warm tights, scarf, boots and wool dress, I'm braving it out in a t-shirt and linen skirt. It did hit 25 degrees here on Sunday - a heatwave - but if you blinked, you missed it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very chic. Not an ounce of frumpiness anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the layers and it looks pretty svelte to me, especially belted. With the scarf and boots it looks warm and cozy. Although 18 degrees is early summer weather for me! Nice and balmy before it gets warm (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great look, especially for that weather--the colors look really good in the mist! I think the belt and the scarf keeps it from being frumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rain is so much fun! Tho I don't know if I can get behind saying that 14C is cold when that is a really nice temperature around here in spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this outfit, great photo and great umbrella!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a neat photo! I'm glad you decided to take them all in the same spot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your definition of winter continues to boggle my brain, but aside from plotting reasons to move continents, I think you look remarkably stylish and put together for a dog-walking-in-the-rain day. I really like the dress with that scarf and the boots. I wish our winter was conducive to the dress-with-boots look...

    We are FINALLY warmer than you! The high forecast for today is 28C, which has to be just about the perfect temperature IMO. I have all the windows open right now to try to cool off the house for for later...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't imagine you looking frumpy in anything you make ;) this outfit looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're no frump! Are you kidding? That's a great dress for such a drizzly day. You look cozy and comfy AND stylish! A trifecta!

    And congrats on the rain! I sent it over, especially for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. a beautiful dress, very handsome that you can make this all.
    I never was good with cloths making. tha why i love the knitting.. kindregards mieke

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely not frumpy! That dress looks great with the belt.

    18 deg certainly isn't winter here in NZ. We are currently languishing in a sub tropical (okay near antarctic) 6 deg c today. It needs to get down to 1-2 deg to snow but as the sun is trying to come out, can't see that happening. It is good for the ski fields though who are really suffering with a snow shortage this year.

    Thanks for the pear smoothie recipe. I know a certain 15 year old girl who will use that one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a perfect cold weather outfit and a lovely photo. I'm glad you have some good rain - it sounds like soup weather to me, very chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous, gorgeous photo. I like outfit--I can remember wearing my wools in downpours and the smell that arouse, even as it kept me dry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really lovely, atmospheric photo.

    Inspired by what you did with Burda 8511, I finally sewed it up. I liked the dress so much, I shortened it into a top and made 3 more for summer. The pattern is a great basic chameleon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to see the rain in this photo. You look adorable with your new umbrella too. I relish every downpour here, because they are so few and far between. Now if I lived on the wet side of the island, I'm sure I'd feel different :)

    ReplyDelete