Thursday, May 26, 2011

Turquoise pencil skirt; 6 different ways

These posts are a guilty pleasure to me; it's such fun to play around in my own closet and dream up a whole lot of new ways in which I could possibly wear an old favourite to suit a variety of situations... for this one I chose my turquoise pencil skirt, made from a real oldie pattern from the late seventies, Vogue 1023.  So old that my mother originally bought this pattern to make my concert band performance skirt, for when I was in high school, lol!  I can't believe I'm even owning up to that here... what's that old saying about, if you remember it the first time around then you're too old for it the second time around, or some such rubbish?  Obviously I'm ignoring that advice.  And anyway, Mum made the ankle-length version for me back then...
I made this version of the skirt about eighteen months ago now, details are here, as part of my then plan to inject Colour! into my wardrobe and life.  The colour has proved a slight challenge sometimes to this diehard neutral lover, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it turn out very useful, and worked really well with lights and light neutrals, and also with brights.  Not so good with darks and drabs, but meh... still been a great cheerful little skirt to have in a fab colour.
So here we go...
At left, on a summery day, going casual and primary-colourful; and more business-like at right, being a demure little pencil skirt it can suitably and happily go to the office worn with a tucked-in buttoned-up striped shirt
At left; contrasting that turquoise with its colour wheel opposite, apricot and orange; and at right, a more monotonal look
When the weather turns a bit colder the bold colour stands up to a bit of sharp contrast... at left, I am currently loving the slightly strange juxtaposition of blood red and turquoise; and at right, the turquoise manages to transform to beautifully winter-y when worn with winter white and strong chocolate brown accessories.
What am I wearing today?  Well, the richness of ruby red combined with the jolt of turquoise just above is such an unexpected and therefore striking colour combination; I just love it!  This is the outfit I am wearing today.  And although you probably can't see it in the photo, my toenails exactly match my skirt.  This minor detail pleases me...!  
Which look here is your preference?

21 comments:

  1. I like these posts of yours....& I do love turquoise...looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such fun posts you do. I like it the way you are wearing it today the best...with the red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still in awe about summer here, winter there. It's amazing to me! "You could stitch up the "ideal" winter dress for this challenge. Then I could steal your idea for a winter dress for myself later own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy reading your posts. I like #4, the monotonal look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red and turquoise !

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all good. I like the ones where your top is tucked in. It really shows off your slim waist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful skirt...and very versatile! You're really good at combining colors; that's something I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wardrobe must be enormous, Carolyn. :) I like both the red and the winter white, but as always they all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way your wearing it today and with the blue cardigan and scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh this is a clever blog post, I like the variations of outfit. My favourite would be the apricot and turquoise

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this skirt, so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like these exercises of yours too - they get me to think outside of my closet box & come up with new combinations for my clothes.

    I must be a neutral girl at heart too, becuse I like the monotone look best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are my inspiration for closet mash-ups! And that kicky little skirt is so versatile and in SUCH a fun colour.

    Although they're all great options, I really love how you're rockin' it today. More colour! More! :)

    BTW: If you wore it "last time around", you can make it look even better THIS time around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great skirt - I love the color! All the looks are nice but I love the look of the day. Something about red and turquoise together is so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love this skirt! The cut and colour are really nice and so are all your combinations with it. Out of these here, I like the apricot best (which is really really strange, because apricot is not one of my favourite colours at all, to say the least). I think you had an earlier post with this skirt and a bright orange (or fuchsia?) shirt? I think that would be my most favourite of all.

    I just recently stumbled across your blog, and I really love it. Hope you don't mind that I put you on my blog roll.
    Such lovely clothes, so well photographed.
    I'm jealous ;)

    Greetings from Germany,
    frifris

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these posts too--the peach combo looks really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. For a die-hard neutral lover I like the winter white the best but I also like the monotone and office looks as well. Actually, I like them all!

    You're so brave having a skirt in this fun colour which looks great on you. I don't think I could ever be that brave.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these posts! I'd still love to borrow this idea sometime for my own wardrobe....just haven't gotten to it yet.

    I think my favorites are the pairings with the yellow shirt and the red shirt. Though I like the look of the monochromatic one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this skirt so much that I have ordered fabric in the EXACT same color to knock it off!! I love the way you've styled it, I never think certain colors look good in fall and winter, but you always show me I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loooooooooove that skirt!! All the looks are great, but I'll go with the first one as my favorite.. Most likely b/c we're going into Summer here and it looks so effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. #4 is my favorite - I am liking monochromatic recently.

    ReplyDelete