Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Some dyeing...

My dear friend C gave me a whole bunch of fabric last night, following a major clean-out of her late mother's house.  Some of it is very nice, lots of it is... er, very green.  I am very grateful, however mindful of the fact that a person's wardrobe can contain limited amounts of bright green.  
So this was today's activities...
Dyeing the paler green was my main aim, and it got boiled for the requisite hour.  I love the dirty khaki brown it has become, and even though I originally envisioned a Pattern Magic 2 thing I am now leaning towards a skirt.  The two darker greens were tossed in the leftovers, just because I thought "why not?".  They are less "St Patricks Day" now, and more "wine bottle", so a bit better.  I might do them over again, with a fresh batch of dye.  Another reason they didn't "take" as well is probably that they are mostly cotton.


At the same time, I noticed my T-shirt that I boiled in turmeric eighteen months ago had gone very pale.  Not enough salt?  So it enjoyed a re-spicing up.  Literally.  This time half a cup of salt went in, plus 2tsp turmeric.  We'll see how the colour holds up this time...


And in case you are wondering, that top pot is only used for dyeing.... I have no intentions of poisoning my family's soup!

14 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that you could cook up your clothes, as well as your food, with spices. Love the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The afters are all very lovely, especially the wine bottle greens. Thanks for sharing about the tumeric, I never knew you could dye with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the quick tutorial on using turmeric. Lovely yellow. Now I know where you get such earthy shades in your clothing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dying fabric. I often dye white clothes when they start to yellow but are still in great quality.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to combine two hobbies: cooking and sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I miss visiting your blog, what a novelty, I'm impressed with the dye on his shirt, rsss, I had used salt to establish the color of cotton fabrics, but had not imagined uses saffron to dye. I'll save this idea with affection.

    Hugs

    Eilane - Brazil

    (sorry for any mistake, I'm using a google translator)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least turmeric is alright in soup! I like the shade of yellow it has become - must keep this in mind. Not that I need any more projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hum. I've got a dusty pink sweater that I'm thinking of turning green/teal... I also just finished a green wrap dress. *g*
    Pity that I don't wear yellow, dyeing something with turmeric sounds like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turmeric! Fun. I love that dirty khaki, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He, he, I just bought some lovely green dye, and also am in the middle of a kermit green jacket - my stash will look like the stash of your friend's mother!
    I am very taken with the turmeric dyeing. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. he he, I have a huge stockpot I used for boiling goose's diapers when they needed stripping ... No soup has ever been made in that either!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love dyeing things but wow! using tumeric?! Does it leave a spice-y after-smell I wonder.
    And good idea, I need a pot just for dyeing.. I keep forgetting to look for one at the op shops. (and FYI I generally use the laundry trough and not one of my big cooking pots!!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea you could dye with tumeric. The colour is great. What is the method?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband is mad about the powers of tumeric and the things it can cure. I'll have to tell him he can use to dye is old white (stained) business shirts. I'm not sure yellow is his colour though!

    ReplyDelete