Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Red and turquoise

I spotted this image at right of a Nina Ricci look in my Vogue magazine and became kind of super inspired by the mere idea of red and turquoise together.  Actually, my turquoise skirt here has had a new little lease on life since I wore it during me-made March here and has once more become a prominent piece that I am becoming more and more interested in wearing again, and in lots of different ways.  Hmmm, do I sense another re-mix here?... quite possibly.  I do feel like it was a well-made skirt to start with (if I say so myself) and it feels quite luxe when wearing it, which sounds weird since it is just polyester-y type stuff.  But the fabric has a weight and body to it that just makes it feel classy.
Also, in the progress of my jacket; don't worry, I have not given up on my hand-tailored jacket ambitions.  However, I got together with a group of good friends last night and brought my fabric and pattern out and honest opinions were aired, and the advice from all co-incided with that from Mary Nanna (as well as my own persistent and nebulous feelings of disquiet) that this was the wrong pattern for this fabric.  Or, the wrong fabric for this pattern.  Both.  So, I am still going to make a jacket using Vogue 8333, and I am still going to make a jacket using this fabric, but the two will be separate projects.  Of course, there is nothing at all from stopping me from taking the custom couture tailoring lessons I learnt from the excellent Vogue 8333 instructions, and applying them to any lined jacket pattern, right?  That Vogue pattern was sooo worth the cost, simply for the absolutely fantastic sewing lessons contained within the instructions, I'm so glad I got it and gave it a try.
So, I think now I will participate in the sewalong properly, making a proper RTW jacket as per Sherry's instructions, using some other fabric from stash.  Luckily, I have no shortage of this, no shortage at all...!  ;)


Details:
Top and cardigan; Metalicus, cardigan found secondhand
Skirt; Vogue 1023, turquoise synthetic stuff, details here
Shoes; Betts & Betts.  
Disclosure, I couldn't wear these shoes for long as I am developing a blister!  Yikes, a blister is such a disproportionately debilitating little thing when a long hike is forthcoming, which one is, and that thing has to heal, and fast!  So it was back to the old thongs for the rest of the day...

20 comments:

  1. Carolyn your version is so much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are departing from your light-colored comfort zone. :) I LOVE this contrast of color and it looks great with your coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these colours together! Personally, I like turquoise anyway. You could try the skirt with yellow. I usually go for and ocher-like shade but if you can pull it off, a deep sun-flower colour would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, your version is so much better! :) And I LOVE the combination, again never would've thought of it myself, now must give it a go.

    Looking forward to hearing more about your hand tailored jacket thingy, since I got this idea in my head a couple of years ago of making one myself using as a guide Clare Scaheffers Couture Sewing and eh, it's still obviously barely half done...:) Maybe one day..:)

    Piiazolomiat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say that the red and turquoise together look great on you. I hope you enjoy wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your red and turquoise combination is wonderful. FWIW, I don't think all polyesters are bad. I agree there are some that are nasty; and some that just don't allow my skin to breathe. But I've had many which imitated rayon, silk and wool perfectly. Like you, there are some I just love but hate to say so because of all the nay-sayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this colour combo.... looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! The way you have layered the cardigan with the t-shirt is also a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those colours are really beautiful together, and on you.

    You know, I'm going to start taking my own advice more often. I always have much more success when I start from the fabric and think how it would best be used.

    I'm glad you trusted your intuition on this: it knows best. There's nothing worse than fabregret: wasting a beautiful piece of material on an ill conceived project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful colour combo, I like this outfit a lot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loooooove that color combo.

    And that skirt makes me covetous :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very interesting combination of colours. Looks great on you.
    When in doubt about using a particular fabric for a pattern - listen to your doubt - sometimes it takes a little while to come up with the perfect combination of pattern and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the color combination or orange and turquoise together, and I especially love that skirt every time you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That whole outfit, colors and style, is making me want to skip spring and summer and head right into fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That color combination is vibrant and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You continually impress me with how many things you've made! Seriously you must be the quickest seamstress EVER.
    Fun color combination! I love the contrast between the two and that skirt is just lovely.
    I hate blisters. I swear all my cute shoes are the ones that give them to me. haha ugh, don't you hate that?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Carolyn
    Long time reader, first time commenter here, although I have seen you in Spotlight once or twice so I feel like we're practically neighbours. Sorry to go off-topic on you, but I wondered if you were aware that Fabulous Fabrics is opening a Perth city store, right near Myer and Laura Ashley upstairs? Fabulous news for workaholic me, who almost never gets enough time on a Saturday to drive the 40 minutes to Balcatta, and I thought you may have friends who may work in the city who may be interested. I've long thought that the city needs a decent fabric store, like Lincraft many many years ago, although whether it can be sustained is up to the customers I suppose!! Anyway, just thought I'd pass on the news. Love your work too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, ladies!
    Kyra, next time say "hi"! Thanks for your comment. I did know Fabulous Fabrics is opening a Perth store, the ladies told me the last time I was in there (which is often, hehe...) Maybe I'll see you there some time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this colour combo.... looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete