Friday, April 15, 2011

Lacey, sort-of Duro dress; 6 different ways

Oooh, I do enjoy doing these more than is healthy.  Playing about in my wardrobe, I mean.
I made this dress, a modified version of Simplicity 3745 out of white dotted swiss voile and a crocheted lace for the border and bodice trim about two and a half years ago and have worn it tonnes of times since.  I'm sure I will wear this one to death.  I was inspired by a minor infatuation in the fashion world for the Duro dress. The funny thing is that initially I wasn't one hundred percent happy with it.  The shape of the dress with its V-neck and gathered areas both in the bodice and in the skirt was new for me.  I felt the bodice made me look a little bit matronly in the bust.  This is kind of hilarious as I am really the complete opposite of matronly in the bust area, so yeah, the dress was a new experience.  But initial "is it really me?" thoughts notwithstanding, the dress has had plenty of outings.  So I guess it turned out to be "me" after all.  The presence of lace helped, probably.
White is sometimes seen as a difficult colour to mix and match, a prima donna colour much the same as black which can swamp and downplay any other colour.  But I had no troubles playing with this dress and creating six different seasonal looks.  In fact it was heaps of fun!


The light colour, airiness and laciness of the fabric says "summer" all by itself, so in the warmer months the dress is ready to go with a colourful scarf as its only adornment, below left.  To be honest, the lowness of that neckline does mean a scarf makes me feel a lot more comfortable in this dress...
If a fancier summer ensemble is required the all-white look is always elegant, with a little cardigan, heels and an elegant bag all that is needed to dress it up for a half glamorous soiree, below right.
For a casual day, a few drab neutrals downplay the rampant femininity of that frothy white lace at left, and on a cooler day the freshness of white gives a lift to a warm richly textured and coloured scarf, a denim jacket and some slouchy boots, to make a nice outfit for meeting some friends or the husband out somewhere, at right.
On colder winter days, the dress has enough of its own personality than it can stand being toughened up a bit with all-black accessories such as biker boots and a little black leather jacket and a long skinny scarf. Actually I have worn this exact outfit several times last winter but never took a photo for the blog.  And for a smarter day look, the lace border of the dress looks interesting when peeping out from under a winter coat.
Which look here is your favourite look?
(The look I am wearing today is the drab one, with my dog in the picture with me...)

16 comments:

  1. That is probably the cutest dress ever, and I always thought white to be such a difficult color to wear other than on a real hot weather. How wrong was I! :)

    Piia

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, you're absolutely brilliant at mixing things up to get maximum mileage out of an item. That said, my favourite look is the one top right - all white with heels. That's probably because I'm far too conservative for my own good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't pick one as favorite. That's a great garment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the one your wearing today :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a great white dress. I like the 2nd one, little cardigan, heels. but they all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the dress. I have a light weight white eyelet fabric that I have been wanting to make a similar dress out of. Now with summer approaching here in the States I may just have to. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ack...my comment got eaten!

    My favorite has to be the one with the boots and denim jacket. I love how both the colors and the textures play off each other. The outfit for today (with your pup) is also one of my faves. Now, all the others looks great but I am speaking from my personal style sense. I admire the all white and heels look, but if I wore that, I'd look demented. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely dress! I think my favorite would have to be the very first look, though I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the one with the denim jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh, I like them all! My favorite probably is the first, just because we are headed towards that sort of weather now. It seems like a versatile thing to have in the wardrobe. Interesting summer outfits are so difficult.

    He he, I like to do this sort of thing too, though mostly it goes on in my head (I don't think Gideon would let me do this!) it's a good antidote to insomnia -- what are ways I could remix item x? Doesn't always work, but it's fun for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wardrobe remix posts are so inspiring. All of the looks work, for sure. I guess my favorite, the one I'm drawn to, is the bottom left. I love how you've mixed it with the tough black accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post. It's always nice to see how people can wear their creations in different ways. I think I like the first one best...maybe that's got to to do with my mood today though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this dress! My favourites are the one you were wearing with your dog in the photo and the one with biker boots. Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I would have never thought a white lacy dress could have so many styling options! I've never had any white lacy dresses.... I only ever think of them having that sort of Picnic At Hanging Rock look, which I think isn't me... but you are putting it with things that make it work in different contexts... hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your six-way posts... I keep thinking that I need to try this myself sometime, at least to make up for the epic fail that was my attempt at MMM this year.

    I wouldn't have thought of a dress as such a versatile option, honestly--they always seem to be more one-way, throw-on-and-done outfits to me. But I like how you've mixed this one up. (And your twist on the Duro style--the lace border makes it look far more classic than the average one looks.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love 1 / 3 / 5 !!! my favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete