Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Autumnal shades, and a dilemma

Just been enjoying those lovely fresh autumnal days lately, feeling the sunlight warm but not harsh on the skin, breathing in that fresh crisp air.  When the days are just that little bit fresher like today I get to employ one of my favourite outfit styles; layering a few thin cardigans together to get a bit of a autumnal colour palette happening.  I just love these rich warm colours together, I think they are "me" colours, and I'm happy the weather is cool enough for me to wear this great dress again.


Details:
Dress; Burda 8511, with minor modifications and lined, purple raw silk (hessian silk?) seen first here
Apricot cardigan; Metalicus, found secondhand
Khaki cardigan; Country Road
Scarf; refashioned from an old Tshirt, seen first here, tutorial here
Shoes; Betts & Betts, had these for about twenty years


I went out and bought a few extra supplies for my Vogue 8333 jacket; the horsehair canvas and the silk organza for the underlining.  Something I have not got yet though is the lining and this is because I have hit a bit of a dilemma; when I looked at the silk linings I still couldn't decide which side of this fabric is to be my right side...  When I first spotted this fabric in Japan I knew it was The One, and I initially was drawn to the wrong wide of the fabric, which is the darker side.  It is mostly a very dark charcoaly-brown, almost-but-not-quite black, and showing through is the multicoloured thread of the other side, coming up as dots of coffee, beige and bone.  
However since I got home and have looked at it a few more times, the right side is starting to grow on me too, a rich mixture of all the warm shades of coffee, caramel and bone, and with a hint of metallic gold sparkly thread every now and again which probably doesn't show very well in my picture below.  The golden sparkle was the initial turn-off to me for using this side out as I'm not sure if a sparkly coat, even a subtly sparkly coat is really "me", but the warm cosy browns are kind of appealing to me a lot right now.  It would certainly be a more interesting jacket and more out of the ordinary.
Thoughts anyone?  
In fact, I will admit that actually the sheer beauty of this fabric is crippling me somewhat... the prospect of stuffing up is causing a mild case of paralysis.  When you have cheap fabric and an easy project it's very easy to slice straight into it and whip something up, and the confidence and lack of worry one has simply because of the cheapness of the fabric and the easiness of the pattern, often insures a good dressmaking result.  On the other hand when one is facing magnificent fabric and a difficult pattern, the looming menace of failure sits on one's shoulder like the little old man of the sea....
Does anyone else ever get flummoxed by the crushing responsibility of not ruining a too-beautiful fabric?
(I will confess to fleeting thoughts of going and buying less gorgeous fabric for this project, just to avoid making a terrible mistake.... !!!  this has not been ruled out!)

24 comments:

  1. I'm going through that very dilemma at the moment. So much so, it's haunting me. I've bought magnificent fabric for my winter coat (blown the budget big time!) but am having serious doubts about my sewing ability. Everything I sew has an element of 'dodginess to it. Little mistakes that I've done a quick-fix on. I don't want to do that this time around but not sure if I can avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand! Because it would be somehow more heartbreaking if it doesn't work out in that gorgeous fabric. I build the result up in my mind and I know what it *should* look like...and then when it doesn't, I feel like I let down the fabric, not to mention, wasted it. But then I come to terms with it and am more or less happy. :)
    I love the combination of colors in your outfit today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge believer in instinct, and trusting it. What is the true nature of your doubts? Is it a fear of failure, or is your unconscious mind trying to redirect your plans in some way?

    Of course you can minimise the risk by making a quick muslin to test fit or any construction methods you are unsure about.

    The rest comes down to faith - trusting that this beautiful fabric will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mary Nanna. You are such an accomplished creator of clothes, and if I recall have already tested the pattern, that you will certainly succeed in putting this jacket together. But, "Are you doubting the fabric for the project?" If so, then don't cut in to it. Otherwise go for it. While both sides of the fabric are enticing, I think the lighter side is my favorite for you. I know you'll come up with just the right solution and can't wait to see it come to fruition. Whatever "it" is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the autumnal colours there. Glad it has been cooling down for you. Maybe my parents will bring back the COLD weather for Perth. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lighter side too, but either will be amazing on you. You will be fine, and the fabric will sew up like a dream - unlike calico!

    I remember cutting into my first wedding dress using really expensive silk - I laid it up, then ummed and aahed for a whole day checking and double checking before I finally had the confidence to cut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your outfit the colours are gorgeous. Good luck with your jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like the lighter side. It would be more out of the ordinary.

    I'm sending you a vote of confidence. I don't think there is a chance that you will ruin the fabric. I'm sure it will turn out to be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lighter side seems more appropriate for lightness, but you have the decision in your hands. I know that tingling feeling in my stomach, fear of encountering a beautiful fabric and have no turning back, however, everything happens fast when you have been immersed in sewing, this happens only at the beginning for me,Do you pass same?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Decisions. Decisions. What do you see yourself wearing this jacket with? Does that steer you to either side of the fabric? Is there enough fabric to make, say, a skirt from the opposite side to the one you use for the jacket? Either side - you won't make a mistake, because you always do a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah--both sides are beautiful. I like the light brown in the picture— seems it would go well with your other light neutrals. But you have to go with your gut! Either way it will be fabulous.

    I am completely the same way about beautiful fabric. Sometimes I feel I spend the most time on a project trying to make decisions like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can understand your dilemma with the fabric. I love the lighter side of the fabric, it's beautiful, but when I look at the fabric in context of the pattern I'm drawn to the darker side of the fabric... Is it the picture on the pattern influencing me? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have that problem pretty much any time I have a rather unique fabric, or one that's more expensive than normal for me!

    I like the lighter side better, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The nude/brown side, no doubts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with the popular vote, going for the brown side. I think it goes with more of your wardrobe than the charcoal side. You'll wear the heck out of it no matter what you do.

    I get cut paralysis ALL. THE. TIME. especially with expensive fabric. I have such a desire not to "waste" anything, but doing a muslin usually allays those fears. You're a pro, Carolyn! You've done your muslin, I say chop away!

    Gorgeous outfit today. I just love those colours together. It IS very you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice outfit today :-)

    My instinct says use the mocha side and perhaps use the darker side for the under collar?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm partial to the lighter side but go with your instincts! Based on your muslin it looks like your jacket will be absolutely beautiful - have confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just go for it and cut the fabric, it is too beautiful to languish away in your stash. Just tell yourself "this fabric deserves more than to just spend its life on a shelf". Do it for the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Feeling somewhat foolish for having missed the big muslin post - then for me it all comes down to instinct - and in cases like this, I ask the fabric, "do you want to be made up into this?" sounds new-agey but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes! On the rare occasions I have something rare, (genuine Malaysian batik) or expensive, I have such a hard time starting... ! Hence I still toil away with the cheap stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the black side of the fabric. I'm always afraid of ruining nice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like both but think you tend to favour colours more on the lighter side. Have you considered incorporating both sides of the fabric as you have used contrasts before and I think they worked well. Perhaps fake pocket flaps made in reverse fabric colour to break it up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ps: You know I am scared of ruining nice fabric just have another look at my fabric COLLECTION as your mum calls it. May be one day I will get the courage ot cut it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. From a previous post, it sounds as though you may have decided already...but I prefer the brown side myself.

    ReplyDelete