Monday, March 28, 2011

Roundabout

Me-Made March, Day 28
This morning my Monday morning gal pals and I were discussing Mad Men and the fashions within, and it was fortuitous that I happened to be wearing this dress and my friends noticed and admired it... fashion trends come around to these parts slowly and sometimes not at all, as I mentioned in this post previously.  I can never tell when I make something for myself inspired by an overseas trend whether or not it will "fit in" for around these parts.  I would have to say this particular trend for early sixties inspired, big-skirted, floral dresses such as this one has not taken hold here (at least, not yet), and I look pretty unusual when I wear it.  To say I stick out like a sore thumb wouldn't be too far from the truth.  Sadly.  It's such a feminine fashion, maybe too prettily feminine for the likes of our extremely isolated little city with our strongly beach-y outdoors-y lifestyle.  I feel I look a bit like an extra from Hairspray, or something...
However that is certainly not going to stop me from wearing it!  It's super comfy to wear, the sort of dress that makes you feel like skipping and humming when you have it on, and I feel good in it.  Let's face it, not many of my dresses inspire me to head over to the playground equipment in a playful mood...  And I think it has enough personality that it can stand a little styling fun.  I'm already looking forward to toughening it up in the winter with boots and a biker jacket, or even my new khaki army jacket...


Details:
Dress; Vogue 8555, with pleated bodice of my own design, printed cotton, details of the bodice drafting here  and my pattern review here
Thongs; Mountain Designs
Nail varnish; Santorini Sunset

12 comments:

  1. I guess that I am equally out of fashion. I wore a very similar sun dress to dinner last night. The fabric I used has a slightly smaller floral print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eta my strongly beach-y outdoors-y lifestyle is in Kihei Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  3. LindaNan, since you are in the United States then I would say this style is right on trend for your country! When I wrote that this was not seen very much around and about, I was referring to here in Western Australia, and the overseas trend that inspired me is the very current fashion I've been admiring in your own country! Hairspray and Mad Men, both US productions, have influenced the fashions hugely in your country, but not here. I like it though, which is why I made this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you look great. I always thought that this sort of dress shape was a classic, never really out of style. I'd be comfortable to wear it. I wouldn't wear it with set-hair, kitten heals and matching bag though! With modern sandals and hair, I think it is fine. I've never been to Australia though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous dress! I am starting my first full skirted dress this week, i know i'm going to stand out here...especially walking Fee on the common but i can't wait to wear one, i love the style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't getting dressed all about pleasing oneself? The dress is beautiful. Who cares what everyone else is wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your "toughening up" ideas ... Will Sienna still swim in the ocean in the winter?

    And it's a lovely dress! Wear it with abandon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in another fashion-wasteland, South Dakota USA. I like it here, but I do find my clothing choices limited. I'm a relatively new resident and really wanted to fit in with my neighbors. Still, I yearn for such pretties as you sport. Wonder if I've been here long enough to take on the role of eccentric or kooky ?resident

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in a fashion wasteland too. Alaska has never been know for keeping up with the rest of the country.
    Carolyn I really like your dress. I sew few dresses mostly for vacations down south. Here I would be fighting off the mosquitoes LOL.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely pop of colour! I love this dress, and you'd be right in style here. Portland on sunnier days is starting to get more MM style. Yay!

    As someone mentioned before, this is a classic style, so when (and if) the MM style catches on over there, you'll be ready. :)

    Do a twirly-whirlie for me! Spinning in big dresses is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress looks so perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first thought about seeing this picture before I read anything was that I really liked it but it didn't seem to fit with your style. If the style does catch on, I will definitely think that you had something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete