Thursday, March 31, 2011

The dress that wanted to be a skirt

This skirt was originally a dress.  I posted about my dissatisfaction with it here, and Terri brilliantly commented that she thought this dress wanted to be a skirt.  Well, that revelation was like a bucket of cold water over my head.  Oh, I mean that in a good way, actually in this weather, a bucket of cold water over the head could be a very welcome thing.  I mean it was like I woke up and looked at the dress with new eyes and saw that yes, it did indeed want to be a skirt.  Thank you , Terri!
Was able to fashion some facing out of the old bodice, luckily.  I cut off the top of the invisible zip and held the top ends of the same over a candle flame to melt the top couple of plastic spiky zip bits into a biggish round blob, so the zip pull won't come flying off the top when I pull the zip up.  Yikes, has anyone else ever ever done this??  I have, once, years ago by accident, and learnt my lesson, never ever take that risk again.  Re-attaching the zip pull back onto an invisible zip is NOT FUN!   
Aaaand bob's your uncle.  New (very) high-waisted skirt.  I think I like this style, especially worn with my husband's white linen shirt tucked in, and all oversized at the top, setting off the slimline-ness of the skirt.  It is Craig's shirt, but I am allowed to wear it this month, since I made it.  But poor Craig.  Perhaps I should make myself my own oversized crisp white linen shirt, so I don't need to go hijacking his all the time...


Details:
Shirt; Burda 7767 with minor modifications, white linen, details here
Skirt; Burda 8071, the skirt part only, faced at the top; embroidered silk

19 comments:

  1. Stunning! And very inspirational, I must get to work on my own rendition. I have some amazing goldenrod fabric that wants to become this skirt...

    Oh, and it's perfectly pair with your husband's shirt, you must make one of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. LOved yesterday's colour combo and your plaid dress too. A stylish week indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you really have not given up on this piece! It looks fabulous as a high waisted skirt! I am impressed by your resourcefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect transformation indeed. I love it with the billowy white shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea and I love the way you've worn it with a man's shirt, great contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's made a beautiful skirt, and I love the fullness of the white shirt over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that dress certainly made a great skirt, and I can see why you'd NEED to borrow your husband's oversized white linen shirt...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Bob is my uncle! It looks great as a high waist skirt. I like the full top tucked in, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the previous incarnation of the dress, and I agreed with you. Something was missing. The skirt looks lovely. The best part is that you can style it up or down, depending on the occasion, and you can match it with tops in a wide range of colors (coral, orange, olive, white, dark green, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful as a skirt, I love it with the white shirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfect pairing! And I'm glad you like the dress more as a skirt. You've got other cute tops that would be great with this, too! I love it when a refashion is so easy.

    And I've done the zipper pull off thing more than I'd like to admit. After crying, screaming and stamping my little foot (I work myself up to the full hissy fit), I usually have to replace the zip b/c it never seems to line up properly after a re-zip insert. Ugh. I will now melt the tips to little blobs directly after chopping. Thanks for the tip! It didn't even dawn on me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love this! A high waisted skirt can be such a flattering shape, and this one really is for you. I agree, it looks lovely with the oversize crisp shirt. Will miss seeing your daily wearing of self-made - you have an amazing closet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! This is the right style for this fabric! Oh and yes you should make your very own, oversized shirt in several colors starting with white or cream

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the high waist! it looks peaceful about being a beautiful skirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job with the refashion! And thanks for the comment on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great save - definitely well worth the effort - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should wear outfits like that much more often - you look GREAT in it!!!
    Thanks for sharing your wardrobe with us for a whole month.
    Greets,
    Liese

    ReplyDelete
  18. buy ambien online legally buy ambien sleeping pills usa - can you buy ambien at walgreens

    ReplyDelete
  19. brand valium street prices 10mg valium - generic valium white pill

    ReplyDelete